DISH HOPPER - 4100 King

pcardoza

Hi All,

I'm about to contact DISH regarding installation of a HOPPER - Joey system in our '14 4100 King. I know that I'll have to buy the equipment myself in order to sign up for the Pay-As-You-Go plan.

I'm more concerned about locating an installer who will then set the whole thing up, so it actually works. We have 4 TV's. I'm guessing the main HOPPER unit would have to be placed in the bedroom, as there in no place in the LR to physically place it, unless I were to remove an overhead cabinet door and drill holes for the wires to pace it in there. Something I'd prefer to avoid!

So, my question is....... Has anyone had luck dealing with DISH to make this sort of thing happen? Or if you did the installation yourself in a 4100, can you provide the gory details?

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or advice!!!

Paul

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any experience with Dish, but the one thing that came to mind is what type of dish are you planning to use?
If you are going to have Dish set up a dish on a tripod I suggest that you get a tripod from TV4RV. It will make setting up a lot easier whenever you move.

Peace
Dave

pcardoza

Yes, a 1000.4 tripod mounted dish for sure. We're in New England with some trees that would block my Western Arc access, so I'll need to 1000.4 eastern arc unit.

danemayer

I wouldn't be surprised if the installer drove up, got out of the truck and announced that he's not allowed to work on RVs.

You'll probably need to explain that you don't need him to work on the RV wiring - just plug the Hopper into the existing coax connections. If the Joey units connect wirelessly to the Hopper, the installation will be just like a home where there's already wiring in place to the living room.

And of course, if the connection from UDC to bedroom is working, and you know which connector is which, you're more likely to succeed.

Another way to proceed would be to have him hook everything up by running coax through a window, straight from the dish to the Hopper, without using the RV wiring. Then place the Joey's around the RV connecting wirelessly. Once it's all working, then you can connect the dish and Hopper unit using the RV wiring.

If there's a problem with the RV wiring, you'll probably have to get that fixed on your own.

OEFVET

I have Dish in my 4200 and instead of the hopper i have two receivers with HDMI spitters by doing so I could watch the same program on two tvs and an additional program on the other two tvs. I found it easier to install on my own and cheaper then the hopper with 3 joeys.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

Noofear

As long as you have a cable to hook into the receiver dish will go ahead and put your Hopper in one room and then they can set up wireless Joey's in the other that worked best for my Bighorn anyway

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You cannot use a portable dish (like a Tailgater, Pathway, etc) with the Hopper/Joey system. You must use a Winegard roof mounted dish or the standard house dish on a tripod.

I also don't know they will do pay as you go for this system. As fulltimers, we signed up for this system but knew we weren't moving often. We have a 2 year contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeR

I currently have the Hopper and a wired Joey installed in my Big Country. I'm using a 1000.2 DISH, much easier to align for satellite acquisition. I have a brand new 1000.4 DISH sitting in my garage, wouldn't trade it for my 1000.2. I'm using my Hopper and a Joey from my house in my BC. I also use the TV4RV tripod. At home I have 3 Joey's installed with the Hopper. The installation was very easy, as all of my Heartland installed coax worked as it should. The coax was all 3 GHz also, which is required for the Hopper. If I can help, just ask.