Dish or Direct TV

sjandbj

Piperflyer,
For me there is only one choice since I have Direct TV at my house and i take the access card to the receiver in the Big Country and plug it in so do not have to pay the extra for another receiver. There are several post that discuss the pros and cons but it seems in the end it is personal preference. I have never used Dish but I hear that they are more RV friendly when it comes to turning on and off the equipment.

Regards,
Steve

buddyboy

We use Dish. You can "pause" service in 6 months increments if you're not on the road. That was our decision point.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Also DISH, since we only use it when we're at the rig during the summer. At home, we have cable.

OEFVET

We use DISH as well. A great feature of DISH is you can use the dome type satellite. It looks nicer and protects the moving parts from the weather.

Crumgater

We use DirecTV at home, and just unplug and take a receiver with us when we go on the road.
We're normally not gone more than a week, and often not out of state, so no need to let them know it's in a different location.

We do carry a full size HD oblong dish and have a DIY leveling platform for it to sit on. Dave has gotten VERY good at finding the satellites... sometimes after her sets up the platform and I turn on the receiver, we're already at 90% signal. Done.

Here's a picture of the platform from a few years ago... it shows all the leveling bolts he set up. Works very nice. He's updating this year with a trex platform. The plywood has finally separated due to the wet weather around here.P1000379_cropped.jpg

pegmikef

We use DISH with a tailgater portable antenna. It has been trouble free for over four years. Just takes a phone call to activate and deactivate it, but it is whole month increments. We only use it in the RV so I normally just leave it on for the nine months that we use the RV. I own the receiver and antenna so only pay for the programming. DISH gets HD.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We use Dish network as well. We use the Winegard Carryout to get HD signals and can easily change our local channels with a telephone call.

dougrat

We also have Dish, two reasons, being able to pause service and we really like the Vucube Flex satelite. It is HiDef and comes with a 25 ft cable. You can set it on top of your rig or on the ground to avoid opsticals when trying to find a signal. Set it on the ground, push the button on the control box and it will find the satelites. I own all my equipment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MTPockets

We wanted the Tailgater which is only available for Dish. We're full time and have used this trouble free for over 3 years. Can't speak for Direct, but very happy with Dish.

Miltp920

I do the Direct TV thing like you do, however, I was renting the extra boxes with their own access cards for the RV. So, I could take the access card out of a box in the house, and put it into an extra box (without a card installed) and Direct TV can not tell I am using a different box? Can they only see the access card #?

Piperflyer,
For me there is only one choice since I have Direct TV at my house and i take the access card to the receiver in the Big Country and plug it in so do not have to pay the extra for another receiver. There are several post that discuss the pros and cons but it seems in the end it is personal preference. I have never used Dish but I hear that they are more RV friendly when it comes to turning on and off the equipment.

Regards,
Steve

- - - Updated - - -

We have put our Direct TV service on vacation for 6 months too, when we had cable installed in the house.

We use Dish. You can "pause" service in 6 months increments if you're not on the road. That was our decision point.

Rschremp

Have dish with wingard x2 not getting all the hd channels in my package any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul & Nan

We have Direct, take 2 boxes out of the house when we travel. Have Winegard dish that gets great reception. Can't get local channels on the dish, but we have antenna if we want local. Works for us. Many times there is cable where we stop overnight so we don't have to deploy the sat.

buddyboy

We have cable at home, so only use Dish when we're traveling. By changing our location with Dish, we can get the local channels in addition to our subscribed channels. We really don't watch all that much, so have no need for movie or sports channels. Just a matter of preference.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Since I have dish at home and a tailgater in the rv I can have them on the same account. just have to call to have download sent if it hasn't been used in a while. usually about 3-4 months

scottyb

Dish for mobile HD quality and getting local channels, Direct TV for customer service, for which Dish has none.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dish here, we have a tripod and Hopper & Joey system. Have not moved enough to get the satellite aiming down, but we we called Dish to say we've moved, they came and installed a newer lighter smaller dish, aimed and made sure all was working, for no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slympicins

Have Dish at home and a tailgater in the RV. If I'm correct, Dish is the only provider to support HD on the road. The cost is about $7.00 a month add on to residential service and be suspended from time to time. Tailgater is awesome but seems I may need a chainsaw from time to time as the trees are a tad in the way at times. Hard to do during the day as people can see what your up to. Seems the chainsaw draws a little too much attention at 3 in the morning too. (I don't have a chainsaw) but trees do affect reception.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk