Dish Tailgator cable question

mobilcastle

Can you use any cable wire with the tailgater as long as as it is made for satellite TV- RG6? (there is only one wire that feeds and powers the unit). Can you use the UDC connection with the tailgater to feed the satellite tuner box it comes with?
Thanks
Steve

danemayer

Hi mobilecastle,

I'd expect any RG6 coax to work. The first time setting up, don't use the RV wiring - run the coax directly from the dish to the receiver. Get it working and then try out the RV wiring.

The satellite connection(s) in the UDC should work fine. The cableTV connection will not.

pegmikef

Yep as Dan said RG6 coax is the cable to use. I'm surprised your tailgater didn't come with a fifty foot cable. I thought they all did Hook the cable directly to the receiver and the receiver to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV. Turn on the TV and make sure the HDMI input is selected, then plug in the receiver and wait and follow the on screen instructions. Have your phone handy because if you are setting this up for the first time you will probably have to call dish. If everything works ok (finds satellites, downloads program guide), but then says unauthorized programming and to call dish. When you get a hold of a tech, tell them you need a hit and they will activate your receiver, but it will save you from having to walk through all the setup that you just did. Good, luck.

scottyb

If your receiver goes inactive for an extended period of time, a few weeks or a month, you may need to call them to activate it or re-set the switch. I was told that they randomly ping signals to every receiver once a month, and if it they don't get a hit, it will go inactive. This is not a problem unless you are going to be somewhere w/o cell service. Then you need to think ahead. I try to set mine up at home before I leave to see if it is still active. You can also call them and give them an address of where you will be staying and they will set it up for the local stations in that area. You have to be careful because they seem to get you billing address confused with your temporary address.

My tailgater also came with 50' of RG-6.

MTPockets

Ditto on coming with the cable. Two years on ours, daily use and going strong. The only problem we had - only about a month old - was discovered after a lot of head scratching and calls to tech. In the end, we had a bad Tailgater cable. After that was replaced, it's been perfect.

1woodwork

I found on my elkridge 35QSQB I had to hook to the cable input instead of satellite input for it to work. Love the tailgater

mobilcastle

Mine came with a cable. Thanks you have answered my question. I wanted to know if any cable would work with the tailgater or was it special since power runs to the unit from the receiver. Thanks for all other responses also.
I found on my elkridge 35QSQB I had to hook to the cable input instead of satellite input for it to work. Love the tailgater

dave10a

There are different types of RG-6, standard and quad for example. Use the quad stuff which is double foil and and twin-braided shield laid in alternating layers--it is thicker on stiffer in construction. It usually has the frequency rating printed on the cable and is the most common and durable for satellite signals. For Dish network I would look for greater than 2ghz.