Disk brakes Titian vs MorRyde

sjandbj

So I see a lot of talk about disk brakes. It is one of the big items left on my mod list left to do. So this begs the question which system do I chose? Is there any difference or advantage from one to the other. I am not looking to start a Ford vs Chevy or Ram type of discussion just the facts and opinions of those who have them.
1. Did you install them yourself?
2. Is it truly worth the expense?
3. What about service on them?
4. Is there a special controller needed?
I am sure that many if not all of these questions have been answered on multi post but I just don't have the time to read all the post. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve

Garypowell

I can start but don't have all of your answers:

1. No I had Morryde install them for around $2,000 at the facility in Elkhart.

2. So far I have been very impressed. Quicker more secure stops. I have not had an emergency yet but am going into the mountains next week....and I am looking forward to being more comfortable.

3. From what I have seen they are standard type disc brakes.....somewhere in my documentation they gave me the pads to use in replacement and they are standard.

4. This one depends on your truck. I have a 2015 Chevy 3500 and yes I needed a $120 extra box so that my truck can talk to the system.

I think it was well worth the money.

mlpeloquin

MorRyde uses a mix of components form Dexter and Kodiak with the Electro/Hydraulic Actuator from Carlisle and Tow Brake. Titian uses Kodiak and the Brakrrite Electro/Hydraulic Actuator. Haven't told the wife yet, but at the Southern California rally in Temecula, I am going to get disk breaks installed by Performance Trailer Braking. They use Titan or Kodiak Disc Brake and the Brakrrite Electro/Hydraulic Actuator. So everything seems to be a mix depending on??? Perhaps available stock or axle size. Seems that everyone uses a mix of manufactures parts for the break systems they install.

Do you install them yourself? Yes you can, but for the money at the rally, I will get them installed. Since you are a Heartland member and owner, Performance Trailer Braking is giving a lower price. You might want to contact them about the cost. (405) 626-7009 Email: ronald_russell@sbcglobal.net
http://performancetrailerbraking.com/

Is it worth the install? Well how much is your safety and family's. Not to mention if just one accident is avoided it more than pays for itself. They would not have put them on your cars or trucks if the cheaper shoe breaks were just as effective.

What about service? Well you do not have to remove the tires to see the pads. You still do need to repack the bearings though. So long as the system is sealed, nothing needs servicing until the pads need replacing. Then perhaps a complete replacement of the brake fluid as well.

Is there a special controller needed? Depends on the year and manufacture of your truck. As stated above, there are interface boxes if yours is not directly compatible. So no add on brake controller inside your cab is needed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had Performance Trailer Braking install the Titan disc brakes on my Landmark and love them! Much quicker stops and I expect to see much improved travels in the mountains. Completely satisfied with both the product and the install.

Titanguy

Steve,
About 50% of the kits I sell are DIY. Not a difficult install but does take time, about 10 man hours for an experience installer. If you elect a DIY kit, I am only a phone call away for help.
Disc Brakes is an option that can pay for itself in a single incident. Yes, it is one of the few upgrades that make a difference.
There is virtually no service/maintenance required. Much like the disc brakes on your car/truck. Brake pads are a standard off the shelf GM pad.
The Titan EHB Actuator works with all integrated controllers. Certain trucks may need an actuator adapter to allow the in cab controller to see the trailer is connected.

I noticed you are in Nevada. While I will not be attending the National Rally, My installers will be there doing some installations. If you want something done at this rally, you need to schedule asap.

IronJ

So what would the cost be for the kit (3 6k axles) here in tx....I forsee us keeping this rig for more than the usual 3 yrs and i sure like the peace of mind of them there discs!!..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Titanguy

The 3 axle 6 bolt kit would be $2950 installed wherever you park it. My installers are based out of Oklahoma.

Titanguy

Titan, Kodiak or Mor/ryde. It really makes very little difference. When you compare the performance differences, they are small. The difference in Electric/Hydraulic Disc Brake Systems and electric brakes is huge. I will try to explain the differences.
On the Hub/Rotor/Caliper assembly, there are 3 mfg. Titan, Kodiak and Dexter. There are no performance differences. Dexter uses a proprietary brake pad and Titan & Kodiak use a GM pad available anywhere. Titan & Kodiak parts are 100% interchangeable, Dexter is not.
On the actuator you have 3 mfg. Titan, Carlisle and Dexter. This is where there is a performance difference. Carlisle & Dexter use a 3 piston pump that generates 40-42 cu. in. min. vs Titan's 5 piston pump generating 70 cu in min. This results in a .3 sec response time on the Titan vs. the advertised .8 second response time for Carlisle, Dexter is slightly slower than the Carlisle. So, Titan & Dexter are the only ones making a complete system. Kodiak only refers to the Hub/Rotor assemblies and any brand of actuator can be used with Kodiak brakes. Mor/Ryde uses Kodiak brakes with the Carlisle, Hydrastar actuator but they will supply the Titan actuator upon request.

szewczyk_john

I am working with Ron now to schedule an install. I was very impressed with his presentation at the recent Northeast Regional Rally. I decided to have his crew do the install mostly due to time constraints with my schedule. his team gets it done in one day versus me doing it over several days.
There is one question that I did not address with him at the rally and that is: As this is the one mod that will not be undone when you sell/trade/upgrade your unit later, does this mod increase the value of your trailer? Would you be able to recoup some of the money from an insurance claim should something happen to one's trailer for retail value?

Titanguy

It will not increase value but this actually can be easily undone. Save your old drums and backing plates. We do not disconnect any of the existing electric brake wiring so it would be easy to re-install the electric brakes. Saving the Actuator & Hub/Rotor assembly would be worthwhile.

As far as Insurance claims, when you add disc brakes you no longer worry about the guy in front of you and can you stop. You know you can stop but, now you worry, can the guy behind you stop as fast as you can.

porthole

Retired
MOR/ryde was offering two types of disc brakes depending on what type of bearings you wanted.
The Kodiak kit has standard GM brake pads and standard automotive type wheel bearings and seals.
The other kit they offered was the 'never-lube' bearing hub for the rotors. Also has proprietary brake pads (read that as cost and availability)

Being a former tech I am not a fan of the never-lube bearings, and if you talk tech with the MOR/ryde people, neither are they.

Good to hear MOR/ryde is offering choices with actuators now. I only had one choice at the time of our install (7 years ago).

If your tow vehicle is a 2011 or newer Ford Super Duty, you should really consider the faster acting hydraulic actuator. It will minimize the perceived delay in trailer braking.

Titanguy

Caution: You must have Nev-R-Lube spindles to use the Nev-R-Lube disc Brake kit. The spindles are different and not inter-changeable.

wehavefun

Get the disk brakes! It doesn't matter Titan or Mor Ryde, your confidence won't care, the vehicle or people in front of you won't care as long as you stop! The difference is way beyond night and day! The cost is way less than a simple accident, let a line a major crash.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wdk450

I had the MorRyde disk brakes installed in 2013. Before the upgrade a panic stop was a scary ordeal. After the install I found I had my controller set too high and was grinding flat spots into my trailer tires from hard stops. Big difference in stopping power.

Next upgrade the aftermarket people need to come up with is an AFFORDABLE ABS trailer disk braking system to avoid wheel lockups. The Kodiak rotors that MorRyde uses already has the sensor teeth for ABS molded into the rotor plate. It's pretty hard to tell when those trailer wheels 30 feet behind the truck's driver's seat lock up.

Last edited:

Warrstang331

North Carolina Chapter Leaders
Definitely disk brakes are better than the electric. This has been a concern of mines from my previous RV. Now that we have the new RV will definitely be looking into a setup for ours. I am definitely glad about the over the counter parts that can be gotten. As we plan to do a lot more traveling in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanguy

Titan & Kodiak will have name on the caliper & hub/rotor. Kodiak will typically use the Hydrastar actuator, Titan systems the Titan actuator.
99% of the Dexter systems will use the Dexter actuator and would be OEM factory installed disc brake systems.

ksucats

My coach did come with the factory installed Disc brakes so guess that means proprietary brake pads. Hope they last a LONG time then, and that they are still available if and when replacement time comes. ;)

Warrstang331

North Carolina Chapter Leaders
Well here is an update. Finally pulled the plug and installed the titan disc setup on the cyclone and ooh what a difference from the electric setup. I am truly glad I did. I would be inclined to say a big difference over the electric setup. Just made the first trip with the new setup. What a difference.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Well here is an update. Finally pulled the plug and installed the titan disc setup on the cyclone and ooh what a difference from the electric setup. I am truly glad I did. I would be inclined to say a big difference over the electric setup. Just made the first trip with the new setup. What a difference.

Echo that. Installed the Titan kit myself 3 weeks ago now. Drove 600 miles or so down to SC for their rally. Although I had no extraordinary encounters each stop was noticeably quicker and smooth. Gain down 2 notches from 8 to 6. Definitely feel the stopping power! I'm thinking it was $$$$ well spent. Haven't spoken to any converts that will different either...