Disney Camp Wildnerness

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
So you know I am still under doctors orders so my camping days are postponed until March. I'm 62 years old but we still have two 12 year olds at home (not twins for we adopted one). I just planned a week long trip in June to Disney Camp Wilderness and checked the website that I actually found was not great at showing the resort. Also have looked at about 30 YouTube videos that do a better job of making us not want to go. The other sites like Good Sam's give it nice reviews but again the detail is lacking. What I am asking is first is it a great RV site? For the price we are paying I would assume great. Second besides going to the parks what other things can kids and adults do there. I heard you can fish but do you need your own equipment, do they have guides, etc. The Disney site seems to be obsessed with making spores as the nightly thing to do. Trying not to turn my kids into diabetics.

Appreciate any feedback good or bad.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a long time since we have been there, but what I do remember is that after a week I wished we had another week to spend there.
With so much to see and do I doubt you (the kids) will be looking for other things to do.
Others may feel differently.

Peace
Dave

lynndiwagoner

Disney World is a wonderful place to go, especially with two 12 year olds. They are at just the right age to enjoy this place. Warning, it is expensive. I've been to Fort Wilderness once, and two other off site campgrounds. The advantage of Ft. Wilderness is the free shuttle service, though this can be crowded and frustrating. If you stay off site be prepared for a stiff parking fee. Ft. Wilderness would probably be your first choice for a first visit. Some of the sites are tight and backing in a big 5ver can be challenging. I would research some of the big rig sites. It's actually less expensive to stay off site and we found the Kissimmee KOA to be a wonderful campground while visiting Disney World. There's is a lot to do in the Orlando Area, and for the kids it is a once in a lifetime must see. Good luck.

blong

We have gone done for March break 10 days for the last two years, and are going back again this year. We have a 15 year old and she loves it.
Park is clean and well kept, spots are cleaned and straightened up after each camper leaves by a Disney crew of folks, some a little tight for our 45 fvr but once you’re in, most have lots of trees in between to provide some privacy, we stay in the 800 loop as we bring the dog. Two pools, one with a small water slide, two arcades, nightly Magic Kingdom fireworks can be viewed from the beach, nightly lighted boat parade, and outdoor movie theater (Disney movies only). Two general Stores are well equipped but a little pricey, it is Disney after all…staff and park folks are great, very friendly and very accommodating. You can rent a boat for a few hours, large or small, or go horse back riding, Segway tours, and they have three restaurants all right in the park. We usually only visit the parks for a few days while we are there as we enjoy just hanging out in the campground. Visiting the parks is easy you can either hop on free bus or take the free ferry from the docks. The park is big (700+ acres), so you might want to consider renting a golf cart to get around (your boys will love this for sure) lots of folks do, I think it’s about $65 a day. Laundry, washrooms, showers, all top notch, spotless and each loop has their own. Its not a party park at all, very family friendly and peaceful and quiet all the time. All in all,the cleanest nicest park we have ever stayed in and worth the money.

Last edited:

MTPockets

We stayed at KOA in Kissimmee for two months Feb & Mar. Nice park and can take bus to parks. Lots of things in area. Park helped with area sites and where to get bus. (Just a short walk)

dalspot

Fred/Eileen, we made our first trip there last November and loved it. If you have an iphone (not sure about the others) there is an app that has size details about every site including the length, width, where the electric and sewer are located, ease of backing in, and includes pictures of about 98% of the sites. (FW Sites) Hop on over to fortfiends.net to find out just about anything you'd like to know. You can also download a .kml file from there for Google Earth. LOTS of Fort Wilderness info out there. Sites can be a bit tight, but there is usually landscaping between each site to give you some privacy. We stayed in the 500 loop as we had dogs with us. If you have a longer rig, one of the premium sites is a better choice as the driveway is wider and easier to get into, plus the pad is larger, cutting down on a lot of the sand that might otherwise get tracked in versus just a full-hookup site. The Preferred sites are closer to Pioneer Hall but often tight to get into.

It's Disney, so it's more expensive, don't expect it to be necessarily better just because of the price. That said, Fort Wilderness is a lot of fun, we look forward to going back. They pressure wash the sites between campers and the rest of it is kept clean as is the rest of Disney. There are things to do there if you are not going to the parks. They have a nightly campfire and the buffet at Trail's End is the best value you'll find in dining. Plus the food is pretty darn good!

If you have a golf cart (or rent one) "looping" is a fun thing to do. Having a golf cart makes getting around easier, but not necessary as there are buses that run just around the Fort. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

So you know I am still under doctors orders so my camping days are postponed until March. I'm 62 years old but we still have two 12 year olds at home (not twins for we adopted one). I just planned a week long trip in June to Disney Camp Wilderness and checked the website that I actually found was not great at showing the resort. Also have looked at about 30 YouTube videos that do a better job of making us not want to go. The other sites like Good Sam's give it nice reviews but again the detail is lacking. What I am asking is first is it a great RV site? For the price we are paying I would assume great. Second besides going to the parks what other things can kids and adults do there. I heard you can fish but do you need your own equipment, do they have guides, etc. The Disney site seems to be obsessed with making spores as the nightly thing to do. Trying not to turn my kids into diabetics.

Appreciate any feedback good or bad.

Bohemian

Yes, there is a children's outdoor movie. They have a fire pit at the movie area. They sell a smores kit and other kid friendly food, also. It's a great deal of fun. Smores are optional. The campground is extremely nice. They have free busses to the Disney sites and other places. There are free boats to some of the Disney sites. They have free pickup and drop-off from the Orlando airport.

We arranged for our kids and grandkids to fly in. Disney picked up and delivered their luggage (they sent out Disney luggage tags) to our site, as well as our family. Everyone had a great time. Campgrounds in the area are expensive. Disney more or less than some others.

iowaone

Last spring parking was $35 so if u are planning to drive to park each day so add that to any outside campground fees. I thought it was very expensive to stay there. But would do it again when I go back. Just so neat, convenient and so much to there. Oh and I have a 43 foot toy hauler. I told them that when I made reservation for cheapest sites and had no problem getting into site they gave me.

Dennyha

Parking for any of the four Disney theme parks is $17 per day. If you show your parking pass from Ft Wilderness, parking is free.
we love having a golf cart at Ft Wilderness. I'll never go there without bringing ours along.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
To all,

Thank you so much for all the information. The Fort Fiends website is great and without this forum I would of never known about it. We will be there June 8th through June 13th so if you happen to be there too please let us know.

Thanks again,

Fred