Dissatisfied with Heartland! (color of awning fabric)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Re: No response from Heartland

I really don't mean to make light of the situation but if you noticed the issue during PDI and did not refuse to accept the coach until the issue was resolved then by accepting the coach as it was would indicate that was not that much of a concern to you. Awning fabric can be changed without a huge expense and hopefully that can be done but even if it isn't don't let that spoil your fun that you can have with the unit.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I hope this can be resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Many of us are not as savy at negotiating as others. A blue awning on a brown trailer isn't right, shouldn't have left the factory that way, and shouldn't end up the responsibility of the buyer. Heartland too will get a lot more buyers with honey rather than with vinegar.

HL sells the unit as a package. The OP was told by HL the unit was made that way.
If you wish to special order a unit with certain options, that can be done in most cases.
HL can not be in the business of changing out every cosmetic option for FREE, after the fact.
That would cost the company a lot of money and they would have to pass that cost on to buyers in the form of higher priced rigs. Trace

Last edited:

kowAlski631

If the purchaser ordered the unit through HL & identified their dissatisfaction with the color of the awning to the dealer at time of delivery, then it seems that HL would bear responsibility to replace. If this is a unit that was in stock on the dealers lot, then it would seem that the dealer would be responsible to make their customer happy. It is concerning that it appears that the purchaser is caught in the middle on this.

My questions to the purchaser are 1)was the unit ordered? & 2) was your unhappiness with the color of the awning noted on your PDI?

I know we made comments on our sheets & got copies of them before we paid any $ or took possession.

Martha

DandJochs

Ok, let me set the record straight on a couple of things here because I am reading a lot of " should have done" comments on here. Yes we did buy from dealer stock and yes we did note the wrong awning color on he PDI. Camping World worked on our behalf with Heartland for 3 weeks before we took over trying to get it resolved. So far we have not received any response from the President of HL, nor have I got a call back from the branch manager of Sundance after leaving messages for him! Many of you have praised HL's customer service to the hilt, and I don't doubt your experiences have been pleasant, ours has not been! I don't expect HL to fix every cosmetic issue, our floor is also last years color but we don't mind because it looks great, but don't try to tell me a blue awning was designed to go on a brown trailer, they were using up excess inventory and they know it!

Bottom line is this, when we open our awning and everyone sees it on this unit, it's Heartlands logo all over it, not the dealers! And when people ask why our awning is blue, our response will be " because that's how Heartland designs there RV's"! They screwed up and now will not make it right for us, even though they have for other customers!

I challenge anyone on here to tell me where they have seen a case where the awning did not match the trim of he coach on a new unit, because I never have and we have gone to every RV show in our area for the last 16 years!

We love everything else about this unit, it is exactly what we had been looking for, the layout is roomy, the construction great, the over all looks are beautiful, but what should be our dream RV is turning out to be a nightmare over this issue!

I apologize for ranting but am getting more frustrated by the day, thank you all for listening and for trying to give good advice and suggestions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 167

mzcummins

I would be very upset too. IMO I don't care who steps up you spent hard earned money and either the dealer or HL should fix it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

jjriker

A picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Why would a rig be sent out from the factory with a mismatched awning like that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RoadJunkie

They screwed up and now will not make it right for us, even though they have for other customers!

I'm not sure that this statement has been verified but, as you know, past performance does not predict future results. You have stated you did get a response from Heartland, but it was simply not the response you expected and therefore are not content. I am a bit concerned that you "took over trying to get it resolved" from the dealer. Perhaps the dealer would have been willing to meet you half-way at installing an awing in the color of your choice, but now you've removed them from the process and taken full responsibility for resolution. How much $$$ are we talking about to install new fabric? And, is the issue really the $$$, or are you more concerned about winning the conflict? Please understand I'm not trying to be judgmental, but I'm a fan of picking your battles.

DandJochs

I copied this from the thread that these folks started, verified enough?

As for not getting the response we wanted, not getting a call back or an email back what I call no response! Would you let this go?

Re: Mismatched Awning on 2013 Sundance
Just wanted to provide an update. Heartland has agreed to provide us with new awning fabric. Received a very pleasant call from Jamie Justis at HL and we are working out the details with our local dealer. We appreciate HL stepping up to take care of this. They showed that there are still some good companies out there who care about their customers. Thank you Heartland you have made us happy HL owners.
Steve, Patti and Dixieanna
2013 Sundance 3310CL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Mega Cab
HOC# 2354

Last edited by a moderator:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

I'm really puzzled as to why the seller won't just step up to the plate. Negotiating with HL for three weeks, over an awning??
It seems there might be more to this than meets the eye.
CW sold the rig and made a promise apparently they can't keep. (That HL would replace it)
CW sells and installs awnings all day long.
Why on earth won't they just change it out for you and they can use it on another rig?? Trace

jdfishing

Trace: Based on my own personal experience with Camping World, that's how they do business. Give you the run-around and pass the buck.

guyc66

On principle I agree with the buyer......it shouldn't have come from the factory that way, but feel CW should bear some responsibility to get this resolved for their customer (this isn't a huge cost item). However, if both the manufacturer and seller decide a little extra profit is worth more to them than a satisfied customer I would just purchase the correct awning and replace it myself rather than let this issue ruin my camping experience. Everyone has to decide for themselves where to draw the line in the sand between principle and happiness.......just my two cents. I hope everything works out soon for you so you can get back to enjoying your new camper.

kowAlski631

Ok. CW sold you a camper from their stock that you are not happy with & have expressed to CW your dissatisfaction. They have passed the buck to the manufacturer instead of resolving themselves as they should.

Let's use this as an example. If you purchased a sofa from a department store & they delivered the wrong color, would you be in conversation with the store or the manufacturer? Have you spoken with CW's management about this?

I do agree that HL owes you a response & am surprised one has not been forthcoming.

Martha

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having read all of this and seeing the photo, I'm on Jochs' side on this one. If the rig was delivered like that to CW's stock, didn't they inspect it before putting it up for sale. And there's the question of visual impairment at the factory, as well. As ugly as it looks, I doubt even a blind person would order it like that.

Sounds like the buyer did follow the proper steps, but is now getting the runaround from the responsible parties. I'd be highly ****ed, too.

kowAlski631

Agree - I wouldn't be happy either, but I'd be raising you know what with CW for selling me a product that was deficient & then notating it right.

HL should return this owners calls at the least & CW should make the sale right.

Martha

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

It seems there might be more to this than meets the eye.
I've been thinking the same thing Trace. This isn't adding up for me. Last week I needed a part so I sent an email to customer service, got a reply for more info, got what they needed and the part is on order. Same as any other time I've had to deal with them.

I know it's not unheard of for some dealers to blame Heartland only to find out later no claim was made. Also, it's not unheard of for dealers to scavenge parts from one unit to deliver another. I'm not saying that's the case here I'm just saying it happens.

So, I've got a stupid question, Has it been confirmed that this awning is the one installed at the factory???? or is it possible it was replaced by the dealer for some reason. Just asking.

RoadJunkie

I copied this from the thread that these folks started, verified enough?

Works for me. When I have a question about matching colors, and what goes with what, I always turn to the expert advise of my DW. She has always keep me from wearing plaid shorts with a striped shirt. So I did a google on "does brown match with blue", and I got some ladies perspectives. Since the internet is always right, here is an example: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090207135254AAeXDjI

Your picture definitely shows a contrast, but who looks at their rig from that angle?

By the way, I too have tried to get a response from someone at Heartland with no luck. I still like my rig and it hasn't ruined my rving experience. Like others, I would probably go back to CW and work with them to get resolution.

Earl_Max

Dennis,

I'm with you on this. That picture is worth a thousand words, and they are all FAIL.
The Blue is as out of place as a mini-skirt on a Hippo.

I have yet to see the color of the awning on my 3300 CK. Mine was one of the first with the new color scheme.....and......I did not see mine rolled out during the PDI. I might be your new best friend!
I fear that I might be in the same "camp" as you.......which in this case would help.......WE at least would match.

I'll post it here when I unroll the awning for the first time.......I'm scared now!
We special orderred ours (extra cost) with a manual awning (my preference) so they have had every oportunity to get mine right.

DandJochs

Well it looks we have the issue resolved! I went out to Camping World today to see how much the replacement awning would be. ( I wanted to know just how much we were fighting over here) after I got the price I called Heartland again, the branch manager was out of the office so I asked to speak with Jim Feder again, he too was out of the office but I did with speak with a gentleman named Brandon.

Brandon said they had a meeting to discuss this issue this morning and HL is offering a large discount on the cost of the replacement fabric, but would not cover labor to put it on, I said that was fine because the service manager at Camping World said he would eat the cost of installing it!

So, basically all parties involved, HL, CW and ourselves are all out about 1/3 of the cost each, I'm still not entirely happy but it is better than nothing and a small price to pay to be proud of and not embarrassed of our new RV.

guyc66

Well it looks we have the issue resolved! I went out to Camping World today to see how much the replacement awning would be. ( I wanted to know just how much we were fighting over here) after I got the price I called Heartland again, the branch manager was out of the office so I asked to speak with Jim Feder again, he too was out of the office but I did with speak with a gentleman named Brandon.

Brandon said they had a meeting to discuss this issue this morning and HL is offering a large discount on the cost of the replacement fabric, but would not cover labor to put it on, I said that was fine because the service manager at Camping World said he would eat the cost of installing it!

So, basically all parties involved, HL, CW and ourselves are all out about 1/3 of the cost each, I'm still not entirely happy but it is better than nothing and a small price to pay to be proud of and not embarrassed of our new RV.

This is great news........thanks for the update.