Do You Double the AH with 6 Volt or 12 Volt?

Greengas

Quick and what I hope is a very easy question. I am going to be replacing my batteries before our upcoming trip (let's just say that distilled vinegar and distilled water are two completely different things and never fill your batteries in when you are very tired). Bouncing back and forth between 6volt and 12 volt. I've read more posts than I care to admit and there is still one question that I can't seem to find an answer for. Regardless of what I decide there will be 2 batteries. So, when figuring out the total AH your battery bank will give do you double the AH rating (for example 2 12 volt each having a 105 AH rating gives you a total of 210 and 2 6 volt with 200ah ratings will give you 400ah)?

Thanks for the continuing education.

Oregon_Camper

Short Answer....No, wiring 2x6v will only double voltage not amps

Here is my logic and why I went with 2x12v Trojan T-1275 batteries.

For 6v, you need to connect them in series. Series connection will double the voltage (giving you the 12v you need) but Amps stay the same.
The Trojan T-105 6v batteries provide --> 447 Amp Hours at 25 amps and 115 Amp Hours at 75 Amps.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-105/

For 12v, you connect them in parallel, which leave voltage the same (12v) but doubles your Amps.
The Trojan T-1275's that I have, provide --> 280 Amp Hours at 25 Amps and 70 Amp Hours at 75 Amps. However, because you have them in Parallel, you would double this with 2x12v batteries. Now you get 560 Amp Hours at 25 Amp and 140 Amp Hours at 75 Amps.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-1275/

I can tell you from my personal experience that Trojan makes GREAT batteries in both 6v and 12v. You can ponder this all day, but in the end, either option will be great. I just like the fact I have a bit more power with the T-1275's and that they are both 12v in case something crazy comes up that I need to swap one or loan one to someone...or put in truck...etc. 12v just seemed better suited for my needs.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No not double ...
You will get some more technical answers on here soon. But from me you'll get a ballpark answer... It's about 20% or 30% more AH with a good 6V.
I went with 4 12V maintenance free G27 and I'm very happy, however when it's time to replace them I'll be going to 4-6V Trojen batteries. I think you will get better performance out of if you keep them maintained.

Oregon_Camper

No not double ...
It's about 20% or 30% more AH with a good 6V.

This is true only when you compare one 6v battery to one 12v battery. But once you connect them in a pair, you will have double the Amps with 12v in parallel vs double the voltage with 6v in series.

Now, if you have 4 batteries, that is a different calculation, where you wire the 6v in BOTH series and parallel. :cool:

Bohemian

The efficiency in amp-hrs per pound of battery is a function of design (flooded, gel, AGM), manufacturer, series, and cell size.

Flooded is generally more efficient than AGM.
Large cells are more efficient than small cells.
Quality more efficient then cheaper. Two batteries of the same group can be very different and weigh much more or less reflecting different smp-hrs.

The reason 6V batteries are generally more efficient than 12V is that they come in larger cell sizes. Two 50 lb 6V should have about the same efficiency as one 100 lb 12V battery. The two 6V will be easier to handle.

AGM require less maintenance than flooded and have many other advantages, at a price in $ and efficiency.

Bones

I decided against the 6 volt in my application. The amount of AMPHrs gained was minimal in my aspect so I went with AGM batteries in group 27. This will be the first season with them and they should be better than my old ones. If the refrigerator last a whole day while driving I'm happy and that is all I need.

0304161406a.jpg