Do you take turns driving?

DesertThumper

I primarily do most of the driving and sometimes my wife will take over so I can take a break. She does mostly highways and seems to not like the town driving so much. Now, we are in the plans for additional training behind the wheel which she does not mind. I also will be including her when it's time to inspect the tire pressures, defensive driving, how to hook & unhook the fifth wheel, safety check-etc. We both will be applying for our non commercial license as well. You never know if that day will come where you may not be able to drive and she will have to take over. What is your experience & thoughts? Feed backs much appreciated.

priorguy

I do the bulk of the driving too, but I make sure she takes some turns. Also make sure she can set up and tear down, back in the popup days. Anything can happen on the road so you must be prepared. Not just in case you have a couple of "pops" with dinner, but in case you get sick or injured. Done that with her from day one so there's no surprises.

azdryheat

Wife helps with driving and is doing well. Not sure what the non-commercial driver's license is the OP is talking about.

jjriker

Harry does the main part of our driving, but I do take my turns. I have driven the rig out of the campground on local roads and on the highway. It definitely helps on the long days especially.

kowAlski631

We both drive, hitch, unhitch, & know all about the care & feeding of the truck & trailer. I am not fond of backing it up, but can do so when there is the need.

Martha

priorguy

I'm a solo RV'er. Not much choice on drivers. I'm the only person that has ever driven my rig.

The non-commercial drivers license is required in some jurisdictions when the towed vehicle exceeds a certain weight limit. It was 4600kg or 10,000lbs and has been raised to 6000kg or about 13,000lbs. Many luxury fifth wheels have GVWR greater then this. You would need what is commonly known as a Class "A" but without the commercial endorsement, meaning you can't drive for money. The restrictions are similar but I think the renewal or upkeep is different. Others will know more then me.

I love the "Care and Feeding" comment, the truck is always "hungry" when I get a hold of it.

Gas20

I made my wife learn to pull the small TT, and when we upgraded to the fiver she does good still a little intimidated by the size and weight of the fiver but does well with it. I made sure she can also set up and tear down if something happened a I could not.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Absolutely we share driving as well as all the other stuff such as hitching, unhitching, backwashing , etc. Byrd's been pulling livestock trailers since she was 12 years old and is very comfortable doing anything or all that the Grey Ghost might need. We encourage all ladies to learn cuz you don't want to be stranded in case of sickness to the main driver.

Grey Ghost

I do all the driving, hitching and unhitching, parking and everything outside, my better half is in charge of the inside! She will NOT even try to drive the truck let alone the truck while its hitched. She feels just fine behind the wheel of her little Toyota Camry. Wish she would but it will never happen.

sjs731

I do all the driving, hitching and unhitching, parking and everything outside, my better half is in charge of the inside! She will NOT even try to drive the truck let alone the truck while its hitched. She feels just fine behind the wheel of her little Toyota Camry. Wish she would but it will never happen.

X2 for me. I wish Carrie would try driving but she is intimidated. She can do tear down and set up. I almost have her talked into a little practice in an empty parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

DesertThumper

It' nice to hear that most of you have a relief on stand by. We had a talk one evening about the "what if" scenario. Then she realized yes your right so we moved forward with her driving etc. It is difficult for some due to other situations to inspire your wife but for the capable, talking about it more and coming up with a plan will be a piece of mind for everyone.

I took the first step with taking the non commercial class a trailer law test and passed! Yee-haaa. Now the rest of the test will be scheduled soon.

pegmikef

DW used to tow the TT when we were on divided highways and relatively simple wide roads, but I do most of the driving. She is not ready to step up to pulling the fiver with the dually yet (nor am I as I think I need to have more experience before I can tutor her), but she will after we get more experience with our current setup. As to hook up and unhitching, DW runs the check list and helps where needed. I think it is important that we are both capable of doing it and is also important to have a second person check to make sure everything is done.

priorguy

The very first time DW towed was a trip home. We had talked about the "what-if" and she was enthusiastic. Until I told her she had to tear down the campsite and pop-up trailer without me. She insisted she only wanted to drive but I brought up the "what-if" scenario and if she wanted to drive she had to do it. I let her back the single axel into the driveway, but stopped short of letting her back it into the garage. More then enough lessons learned for one day. Ever since we've teamed up on all tasks.

Manzan

Like others, I do most of the driving but DW willingly drives if I need a nap after brunch. Her car of choice is a Camry Hybrid so a big difference between it and the Suburban. I try to drive if driving near a big city around rush hour. She is a more aggressive driver and that does not work in heavy traffic when you are 45' long. She can do the set up and tear down but mostly I do the outside stuff. Have never asked her to dump the holding tanks but she has seen me do it often enough over the last 24 years of trailering so I bet she would not have any problem. It does help having the remote control stabilers and awning and slide and the tongue jack is electric so not strength needed anywhere. She wants me to get Son in Law back the trailer into our space at home sometime, just in case. Not an easy job at all. Sharp uphill turn to the right next to a 10' cement wall. No space to back straight in or even close.

TXTiger

I am single and travel alone so I have no choice but to do it all by myself. If I get tired driving I just pull over and get in the trailer and take a nap.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I do some of the driving, but Mark does most of it. I've driven both in town and on freeways, but prefer the freeways or back roads. I can do the set up and take down stuff too, but we each have our usual chores and check each others work.

We've thought about that "what if" question. We bought a subscription to SkyMed at last years PNW Regional Rally. If all else fails, we know we have friends we can call to help us out. Many of them pull Heartland products!

Kristy