Dodge 3500 DRW

nemo45

We recently made a trip to Kenosha WI and back, a total of 1660 miles. We averaged 10.7 mpg for the trip. The lowest fuel economy per tank was 9.7 and the highest was 11.7. The first tank was the lowest and we were traveling at 65 mpg. After that tank we were in Illinois and had to reduce to 62 mph and thats what we towed at the rest of the trip. Our Open Road 357 RLDS weighs in at 11998 dry and we have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500, SRW, CTD with 3.73 rear end, 4-speed auto tranny TV. The truck towed the Open Road flawlessly and except for the difference in accelleration you wouldn't even know it was back there. MY wife drove the rig about half of the trip. So I wouldn't worry about towing a rig this size with a SRW. It does just fine. No problems with stability or braking.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I went with 2WD to save some weight on the GVRW. I believe that mileage will also drop with 4WD. That being said, however, I did have to get a tow from a soft grassy surface while hauling last year's Cameo LXI as all it would do was spin the rear wheels. Still, my next choice would be 2WD, although I would probably opt for DRWs since I am so close to my GVRW and GCWR with my SWR.

jbeletti

MPG with Dodge 3500 DRW with Cummins Turbo Diesel

We just arrived in Charleston, SC from Chicago. Traveling over 1,100 miles, we averaged 11.4 MPG. Our high average prior to hitting the Appalachians was 11.8 MPG. The RAM took the Landmark through all the climbs very well. I am pleased.

Jim

cdbMidland

Picked up our new Megacab dually on Saturday. It fits in our garage! Fenders on the rear are not the long flares like Jim's is pictured, but rather just over the wheels itself. Getting the hitch installed on Friday and should be hitting the road again soon.

GVRW of the truck is 10,500#.

cdbMidland

Just was out to the http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ website and apparently the Megacab is no longer offered in the Dodge HD series.:( Sure glad I got mine when I did.:)

They do show GVRWs up to 12,200 in some of the 3500 series available after January 1, 2007 when the new 6.7l Cummins comes out.

kmbusa

I'm sold on the Dodge 3500 Quadcab CTD LB w/6spd auto, but tell me, do I want the 3.73 or 4.10? I'm looking for a good general purpose setup. Truck would be used for TV'ing and daily 20 mile round trip to work is all.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I used to own a 2001 f-350 with the 3:73 rear end. Did a good job but was slow on take off when towing. My 2007 Ford has the 4:10 and is much better. Get around 9 mpg towing and around 14 mpg empty.If buying again would go wih the 4:10.

Jimmyt5

kmbusa said:
I'm sold on the Dodge 3500 Quadcab CTD LB w/6spd auto, but tell me, do I want the 3.73 or 4.10? I'm looking for a good general purpose setup. Truck would be used for TV'ing and daily 20 mile round trip to work is all.

I have this same truck with the 3.73 sb. I had a5.9 with a 410 and with the new 6.7 and 3.73 I can't tell any differance. Go with the 3.73 and you will be happy. JMO

Jim

Blessed

I also have the 3.73 and the trailer weighs 16000# when I am pulling it. I have had absolutely no problems and have never wished I had the 4.10. I talked to the Truck Development Engineer. He told me the only reason they have a higher towing capacity for the 4.10 is because of one test they run. The truck with a trailer attached is at a dead stop on an incline and they have so many seconds to accelerate to a certain speed. To pull the heavier trailer, they need the higher axle ratio.
With towing in the mountains of Kentucky and have never had a problem and would recommend the 3.73.

sidney dreyfus

B & W Hitch

thinking about installing the B & W companion hitch. My Dodge has an insert bedliner. Do you think drilling the required 4" hole through the bedliner will increase the chance of water getting under the liner and rusting the bed? All opinions are appreciated

Sid Dreyfus

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Sid,
When we had our hitch installed we too had a plastic liner. The dealer cut (2) rectangular openings so the rails would be flush with the bed floor. So now we have these (2) openings that definitely will let water in. On the good side we have a tri-fold hard cover that keeps most of the water out when we are not towing. Had I had it to do over I would get a spray-in bedliner.

Hope this helps,

Mark