Dodge, Ford & GM Exhaust Brakes

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm lookiing for feedback from GM, Ford and Dodge owners who are driving the new trucks that come with standard Exhaust Brakes. They all offer them now. How are these brakes working? I did drive with a friend in his 07/08 Dodge and it seemed to work really good. How about GM & Ford, any experience out there? I have the BD on my 04 Dodge and it helps a little..../Doug

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have an 09 dodge 3500 diesel single rear wheel truck which came standard with the exhaust brake. Last year we went to Yellowstone by way of South Dakota crossing the Big Horn Mountain range on Hwy 16. The west side of the range is a long grade that has a bunch of switchbacks. DH put the exhaust brake on and only touched the regular brake once on a 90 degree switchback. I was real impressed.
DSCN0960.jpg

Jellystone

Doug, we have the Dodge truck listed below in my signature and the factory exhaust brake works fantastic. It actually saved me a couple of times while pulling the 5th wheel only to realize at the peak of a bridge that traffic was stopped on the descending side (OH **** moments). I also use the exhaust brake when running lite truck around town to help burn off the soot before it gets to the particulate filter on these new "tree hugger" diesels their making :p.

Willym

A test of the 3 diesel brands in Diesel Power magazine (October 2010 issue) voted the Dodge as having the best exhaust brake. While the Dodge may be short 50 bhp compared to the latest GM and Ford models, stopping ability is an important consideration when you have maybe 15000 lbs pushing on you. I found the exhaust brake invaluable this past summer on our Alaska trip, and I generally run with it on all the time to keep it exercised.

HappyKayakers

Mine didn't come standard but it was a Mopar addon installed by a Dodge dealer in 2007. I wanted it specifically for a long grade on I-75 at Monteagle TN, complete with truck runaway lanes. It worked like a champ for that. I shifted down to 5th and only tapped the service brakes once on the way down. No white knuckles, no overheated service brakes. I leave my exhaust brake on all the time, except when roads are slick. Interestingly, I just had new tires put on at 61k miles. Normally, a repair shop will try to sell extras whenever they have your vehicle. They didn't say a word about new brake pads or turning the rotors.

boatdoc

Really impressed with the Dodge brake. No more "oh !@#$'s" with the 3670 behind us. The way this thing pulls I could care less about 50 bhp.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
HappyKayakers - know Screaming Eagle well. We haven't pull it with the BC but Byrd has been up and down it a few times in our horse days pulling a big gooseneck rig with 4-6 horses. Fun times - not.

Moose

I leave mine on all the time except when wet road conditions. When in "tow/haul" mode the exhaust brake and auto downshifting are amazing and bring you to a near stop PDQ.

caissiel

All variable vane turbo equiped Diesel have some form of exhaust brake. The 6.0L Ford and the later GM's have the variable vanes Turbo setup. My 6.0L does not come to a stop but is very effective in slowing down in the hills and hardly use the brakes on the way down.

The progressive brake controlers are not your friends when it comes to hill down braking on trailers. so better to use the exaust braking to keep a steady speed down hill.

I use to have time delay brake controler and it was great in the hills just a small tap on the brakes and the trailer would slow me down.

porthole

Retired
All variable vane turbo equiped Diesel have some form of exhaust brake.

Not all - later models only and the turbo vanes are being manipulated to effect engine braking. That is different then the exhaust brake offered on the Dodge.

A test of the 3 diesel brands in Diesel Power magazine (October 2010 issue) voted the Dodge as having the best exhaust brake.

If Ford and Gm would add exhaust brakes they would probably be equal.

What would next is a controller for the factory braking systems so the user could define how much or how little braking is applied.

ricatic

I only have experience with a tow tuned 6.0 Ford engine brake and the one on my new 2011 F350 6.7 diesel. I have used the tow/haul/engine brake combo quite a bit. It works very well on 2 mile long 8+% downgrades. The issue with the new Ford setup is owner education. Ford has done a poor job of explaining how to properly use the system. I am very skeptical about whether pickuptrucks... knew how the system works. The lack of a dedicated dash switch seems to befuddle users. The operation is quite simple though. First, the truck must be in tow/haul mode. A simple tap and release of the brake pedal activates the engine brake. A single tap resulted in a 50 mph steady speed down a 2 mile 8% grade with no sign of any speed increase forthcoming. On the next grade, I started with one tap and 50mph, a second tap resulted in a speed decrease to 40 mph and another steady descent. It may not work the same as the Dodge but it works well. Oh, and I do like the 400 hp going up the hill...

Regards

Willym

Not all - later models only and the turbo vanes are being manipulated to effect engine braking. That is different then the exhaust brake offered on the Dodge.

If Ford and Gm would add exhaust brakes they would probably be equal.

What would next is a controller for the factory braking systems so the user could define how much or how little braking is applied.
The magazine stated that all three brands had exhaust brakes, and they were not equal. The Dodge brake was judged to be superior.

Bobby A

I leave mine on all the time except when wet road conditions. When in "tow/haul" mode the exhaust brake and auto downshifting are amazing and bring you to a near stop PDQ.

I totally agree, my 07 Mega cab all most stops itself doing what you mentioned. I will never own a tow vehicle without it.

Last edited:

KL7j

A test of the 3 diesel brands in Diesel Power magazine (October 2010 issue) voted the Dodge as having the best exhaust brake. While the Dodge may be short 50 bhp compared to the latest GM and Ford models, stopping ability is an important consideration when you have maybe 15000 lbs pushing on you. I found the exhaust brake invaluable this past summer on our Alaska trip, and I generally run with it on all the time to keep it exercised.

I had both trucks at one time to comparre, a 2011 F350 single rear wheel and a Dodge 3500 DRW. Both with 6 speed autos. The Ford's exhaust brake is activated by pressing on the brake pedal. No switch. The Cummins has a switch to turn it on and works in Drive or in Tow/Haul.

I towed the same 5th with both trucks, the Ford towed 2000 miles and the Dodge so far 4000 miles so I have had them both towing through some miles.

Both trucks have transmissions that downshift in Tow/Haul with exhaust braking, but the Ford needs to have brake applied. This is well documented in the Ford forums.

The Dodge exhaust brake is superior and very noticable, it works in or out of Tow/Haul mode, and can be turned on before a hill. Applying brakes to get exhaust braking for me was an implementation mistake by Ford as one might like to slow down ahead of a grade without applying brakes. In the Cummins, it is all controllable and definitely felt. I could not tell much exhaust braking even happening with the Ford as the tranny with the brake applied heavily really downshifts and races, it feels mainly like the tranny was down shifting/braking but not much assist from exhaust braking.

I changed back over to a 2011 Dodge/Cummins as I liked the drivability of the Cummins better based on my 2008 Dodge/Cummins before the Ford purchase. Really like the Cummins exhaust brake being switchable. The Ford does a bit more shifting, gets better mileage and a bit more power, but the Cummins has plenty and each shines in different circumstances.

I did not drive a new Duramax, they were not available yet when I was looking, plus the new GM body is due out 2012 on the new GM 2011 frame, so I have no idea how that implements or it's effectiveness.

Last edited:

davebennington

We have a 2006 Dodge 3500 with the Jake brake. This was the first year that the exhaust brake was made available from the factory. So far it has worked very well on long downhill grades I do not have to touch the regular brake. Like some of the others have said they leave the exhaust brake on all the time I do not, I only pull the switch on when I feel the need. One of the things that I have read is the vacuum pump tends to fail this is a concern and I have considered buying another to keep as a spare.

Dave

noobee

Why do you turn it off when the roads are wet?

CS

Moose

Why do you turn it off when the roads are wet?

CS

Here is why.

To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not operate the exhaust brake on slippery roads (snow covered, frozen, or wet roads), because the tires may lock.

Be careful when using any exhaust brake at low speeds on wet roads. When traction is reduced, the exhaust brake can have enough power to actually lock up the wheels. Since this system is completely independent of the service brake system, your anti-lock can't help and you could go into an uncontrolled skid.

porthole

Retired
[FONT=&quot]
The magazine stated that all three brands had exhaust brakes, and they were not equal. The Dodge brake was judged to be superior.

Yes I know, I read the article in August.

We are not comparing apples to apples here.

The Dodge has an exhaust brake
Ford and GM have engine braking.[/FONT]

porthole

Retired
A Jake Brake is not an exhaust brake. There are 4 basic types of exhaust/engine/driveline braking systems available.

• Exhaust brake – Dodge and aftermarket
  • Engine braking – Ford and & GM type
  • Jake Brake – typically big rig but available aftermarket on the Dodge. A Jacobs (AKA Jake) brake works but opening the exhaust valves at the top of the compression stroke.
    With the valves open there is no power stroke. The engine not having a power stroke is being forced to only compress air, slowing the engine down (here are other factors involved too). What you here on big rigs when they are rapping away on decell is a jake brake working with a poor or modified exhaust system. Those vehicles are responsible for the signs you see “No Engine Braking”.
  • Telma retarder – IMO, this is the best. Telma’s work with electricity, rotors, stators and on the driveline, typically the drive shaft.

All the above can be disengaged, Exhaust, Jake and Telma – just turned off. The Ford/Gm – don’t use tow haul mode.

Aggressive engine or exhaust braking can be undesirable without a load or in less then ideal road conditions. As mentioned above it can cause the rear wheels to lock momentarily. But in theory, in less then ideal conditions you are driving slower anyway and don’t need the full affect of exhaust engine braking.

An exhaust brake can be full time or typically turned on/off electrically with a switch.
Turned on, no user input is required, which is one of the reasons the Dodge came out ahead in braking in the above article (sorry Dodge boys, about the only lead Dodge had).

Dodge
Take your foot off the throttle and the E-brake closes a butterfly in the exhaust system, either right at the turbo discharge (factory setup) or somewhere downstream in the exhaust pipe (aftermarket). I don’t know if the Dodge manipulates the transmission to assist in engine braking, and is a moot point with Dodge offering a manual transmission.

Ford/Gm
Only in tow/haul mode.
GM called their braking, “Cruise Grade Braking” prior to the current system as it did not manipulate the turbo.
So, when in tow/haul and you let off the throttle the first thing to happen is the torque converter stays locked up. This will start to give you some engine braking.

When not in tow/haul and in 5th or 6th gear traveling down the road the converter is locked up, soon as you take your foot off the throttle the converter is unlocked, this gives you smoothest, jerk free ride, but does nothing to slow you down, especially in a diesel vehicle.

So off throttle, you have a locked converter, the transmission shift points are kept higher and the programming will typically let the engine run over 3000 rpm, as high as red line if necessary. Although the noise is undesirable, maximum braking is done at higher RPMS.

Tapping the brake pedal will initiate engine braking. The power control module will start to close the vanes in the turbo, doing almost the same as a down stream exhaust brake.
Each tap of the brake pedal is supposed to increase the vane closing, increasing the amount of engine braking.

Cruise grade braking without turbo vane control was fairly effective with my GMC. Haven’t driven either of the new Fords or GMs with a trailer to see how well they work.

BTW, the Banks “electronic” exhaust brake works by manipulating the turbo vanes and transmission. The control is user adjustable and ranges from mild to aggressive. The Banks warns that when in the aggressive mode it can be harsh with no load. I had a Banks Brake on my GMC, and I can attest to the fact it is very aggressive in “max”. It would “brake” the rear tires loose whenever I backed off without a load on the truck.

Of the four systems mentioned above, I would take a Telma retarder over them all. It is silent and does an amazing job in slowing the vehicle.
In my job I drive 25-28000 fire engines to 70-75000 pound aerial trucks.
The best stopping vehicle we have is my normal ride, a 70000 pound ladder truck equipped with a Telma retarder. Of every vehicle we have this truck is by far the best stopping vehicle we have. I will not even drive it if the Telma is not working.

BTW, all of the above systems are either turned off or ineffective below 15—20 mph, depending on the programming. You certainly would not want aggressive braking in stop and go traffic.

Willym

[FONT=&quot]

Yes I know, I read the article in August.

We are not comparing apples to apples here.

The Dodge has an exhaust brake
Ford and GM have engine braking.[/FONT]

Have a look at some other articles, try Google. Maybe we are we using different terminologies to explain the same thing, but I'll give it one more try.

GM uses the turbo vanes as an exhaust brake (just as in the Cummins) and the Ford exhaust brake is noted as a new feature. It is exhaust back pressure braking, and no doubt uses the turbo vanes to achieve the effect. These all work by throttling at the turbine inlet. Ford has used the transmission to effect engine braking on previous SD models (I had one) but the truck now boasts an "exhaust brake" in addition. All three use transmission down shifting to aid in deceleration, in addition to exhaust brakes.