Dodge RAM 2500 - 3500 Factory Steering Recall - 1 Million Trucks?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Question... Replacing the tie rod, will it require an alignment? If so, I would expect it to be part of the repair?

jimtoo

If replacing a tie rod only, then only the toe-in needs to be set, which should be included. Not a complete caster, camber alignment. Now if they will pay for alignment OK.. but you should not need it.

GOTTOYS

Question... Replacing the tie rod, will it require an alignment? If so, I would expect it to be part of the repair?
Usually when they do that, the tech will count the number of turns to take the old one off, then use the same number of turns to put the new one on...But it's anybodies guess how they will really do it. I don't think we should need to pay to check and adjust the toe on a recall...I guess we'll see....Don

porthole

Retired
Park the truck?? NONSENSE..This is a tie rod end on the left side, has nothing to do with power steering not working at all...Why make people panic when you don't know what you are talking about? The parts are now delayed and won't be available until about April..I talked to Chrysler Customer Service on an unrelated matter and was told this the other day. This is not an emergency situation or Chrysler would tell you to park the truck, not somebody on the internet. Chrysler doesn't want to assume any liability related to this, nor do they want to put people in a panic mode. The sky is not falling. I will have mine fixed when it's time...Until then I'm heading to AZ. trailer in tow...Don

Don - the recall is real and for a real failure of the left side tie rod. There is enough of a concern that the vehicles involved in the previous tie rod recall are also included in this event. As of November there have been over 400 documented failures, with 6 reported accidents and 2 injuries.
Since the failure seem to manifest itself on extreme hard over turns, breakage tends to occur at low speeds, minimizing the drama.

My take is - if your vehicle is involved in the campaign, just take it easy on the hard over turns until you can have the recall performed.
Chrysler will up the urgency if there is suddenly a high failure rate at speed popping up.

Any repair I have done under warranty that included tie rods was always done with a "just count the threads". No alignment time was provided for. Typically alignments were only covered under warranty for the first 90 days (during my tenure).

On this recall though, it seems that at the minimum a toe in adjustment should be at least checked.

"DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TIE ROD ENDS FOR RELATIVE ORIENTATION AND REPLACE THE LEFT OUTER TIE ROD AS REQUIRED AND PERFORM A FRONT END TOE ALIGNMENT AS NEEDED"

I had front brake hose problem on a 76 Volare that I repaired properly. Received a recall for the problem and after an other 20k miles the new hoses failed again. So I remodified it again an drove the car an other 150K miles with no Issues. Just because it's a recall does not necessarily fix the problem.

I sure earned my keep with that model line (and the sister Dodge Aspen)!
That platform single handily just about brought Chrysler to it's knees with recalls.

caissiel

That platform single handily just about brought Chrysler to it's knees with recalls.[/QUOTE]

I was the only one without front brake hose problem. I sent the wife for new tires and the service manager called me about the hoses being unsafe and I told him to drop the car off the hoist because we will get tires somewhere else. I told him that it was the safest Volare in America. Everything about the car was no good.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Miller0758

Does anyone have a website they could share to check a VIN number to see if your vehicle is included? I have not received notification however I've moved since purchasing. Thanks.

readytohitheroad

Don - the recall is real and for a real failure of the left side tie rod. There is enough of a concern that the vehicles involved in the previous tie rod recall are also included in this event. As of November there have been over 400 documented failures, with 6 reported accidents and 2 injuries.
Since the failure seem to manifest itself on extreme hard over turns, breakage tends to occur at low speeds, minimizing the drama.

My take is - if your vehicle is involved in the campaign, just take it easy on the hard over turns until you can have the recall performed.
Chrysler will up the urgency if there is suddenly a high failure rate at speed popping up.

Any repair I have done under warranty that included tie rods was always done with a "just count the threads". No alignment time was provided for. Typically alignments were only covered under warranty for the first 90 days (during my tenure).

On this recall though, it seems that at the minimum a toe in adjustment should be at least checked.

"DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TIE ROD ENDS FOR RELATIVE ORIENTATION AND REPLACE THE LEFT OUTER TIE ROD AS REQUIRED AND PERFORM A FRONT END TOE ALIGNMENT AS NEEDED"

That platform single handily just about brought Chrysler to it's knees with recalls.

Porthole, Appreciate your comments. Don apparently does not feel the same with respect to my comments. All I know is I was under load and lost my steering. Nearly drove right off the road and into the woods. Scared me to death! As I stated in my previous post I am not sure how my steering failure is related to this recall but my conservative nature leads me to believe that one should get this fixed before driving the vehicle much. Regardless of what Chrysler says.

gebills

I checked the web site that Bill listed; it stated that I have no outstanding updates to have preformed. I called the dealer that serviced my truck last Friday for 30K service. When I ask him about any further updates, his first response was "no, you have no other outstanding updates to preform". After I quizzed him specifically about the tie-rod recall, he responded "let me check once again". He came back to the phone and indicated my 2011 3500 is on the recall list. Not real pleased; I'm pulling down to Florence AZ in less than 2 weeks and then back in late February. The dealer suggested he seen no problem with the pull. I'm not super comfortable about this. Think I'll communicate with him one more time to try to shift some liability should I encounter a problem. gebills

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Did anybody pick up on the reason for the failure?

Quoted from the posted link:
"The trucks are being recalled because tie-rod ends in the steering system may have been installed improperly, which Chrysler says stemmed from technicians misinterpreting instructions. Those tie-rods could be out of alignment, which Chrysler says can lead to steering failures."

So from 2003 to 2012 the technicians have been installing the tie rods incorrectly for 9 years because they read the instructions incorrectly???

Now is the recall for the death wobble or for the drivers side tie rod that is prone to breaking?

Porthole,
The kid I sold my 07 Mega to had the driver side Tie Rod break a few months later. But my old truck originally had the older K style drag link. I had replaced it with the current style drag link used on the later 08's to present. The Tie Rods are much larger on the later style as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

GOTTOYS

Did anybody pick up on the reason for the failure?

Quoted from the posted link:
"The trucks are being recalled because tie-rod ends in the steering system may have been installed improperly, which Chrysler says stemmed from technicians misinterpreting instructions. Those tie-rods could be out of alignment, which Chrysler says can lead to steering failures."

So from 2003 to 2012 the technicians have been installing the tie rods incorrectly for 9 years because they read the instructions incorrectly???

Now is the recall for the death wobble or for the drivers side tie rod that is prone to breaking?

Porthole,
The kid I sold my 07 Mega to had the driver side Tie Rod break a few months later. But my old truck originally had the older K style drag link. I had replaced it with the current style drag link used on the later 08's to present. The Tie Rods are much larger on the later style as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD
To my knowledge the dreaded "death wobble" has not been a concern on the 2010 and newer HD Rams in a stock configuration. It may be a problem where a front lift kit was used as it changes some of the geometry. The recall(s) were are talking about concern only the left outer tie rod end. The original recall dealt with the way the tie rod end was installed. Some of them were turned so the the outer portion of the tie rod end could become cracked from contact with the stud on the tie rod end. Chrysler did an inspection on my truck for this a couple of years ago and did not find a problem. The latest recall involves the same thing only now they are going to replace this same tie rod end on all trucks that are involved. I currently have over 75,000 miles on my truck. I have never experienced even a hint of the "death wobble". The new updated tie rod end has been put on hold and will not be available until sometime in April, as told to me by a rep from Chrysler. My truck drives and steers just fine. When the part becomes available I will have it replaced. In the meantime I plan to use my truck in the normal manner. Others may chose differently....Don

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Got the tie rods on order for the '09 Ram. Dealership says it might be over a month before the part is in :confused:

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
You can scroll down toward the bottom of this page on the Dodge Ram website to check for recalls by VIN Recalls

Herm45

Hey Nathan,
Are you dealing with Cogdill Dodge? We are and they told me that Dodge would not start shipping parts until the first of February and then we could make an appointment after they came in. You would think they would be more proactive! Good Luck.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Got my recall notice today and contacted mt dealer, no parts and no idea when they will have. Supposed to keep calling, oh well will follow up every once in awhile.

olcoon

Well had mixed luck today…ours failed. To make a long story short, we made it from home to the RGV, then to Rockport. Today after the Heartland breakfast in Aransas Pass, we were driving down a narrow road & I need to turn around, so I made a 3 point turn in the road. Felt like some had thrown a chock block or something under a wheel. Pulled forward & knew things weren't right. Checked the LF wheel & the tie rod was busted. Got it at the local Dodge dealer now, & hopefully we'll get it back tomorrow. I was told they have parts for 4 of the recalls, but they are all spoken for, so they are going to make some calls to see if someone will give up their appt. so we can get ours fixed. "Mixed luck" it didn't happen while traveling, it happened at a very slow speed & I don't think any other damage, and there is a Dodge dealer within 5 miles or less from where it happened. Just another day in the life of an RVer!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1506.JPG
    DSCN1506.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN1510.JPG
    DSCN1510.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 55

Bobby A

Took mine in the other day, and yes it needs the part. I was told by Chrysler the original plan was since the parts shortage that dealerships were allowed to order one part per week. While I was at the dealership Chrysler announced that they are now allowing dealerships to order 4 parts per week. So they took my recall card and placed me in line, first come first served. Hope this helps