Dometic DM2862 ammonia leak

Jajjaaj

In the middle of the night last night, my Dometic refrigerator developed an ammonia leak. It was a bit terrifying as I woke up to a foul smell that stung my nostrils and eyes. I was a little disoriented when I woke, but quickly figured out that I needed to exit my Bighorn. I grabbed pets and put them in the truck. I wasn't sure where the smell was coming from, but had the fortitude to turn off the propane. I called 911 and it was they that told me it was a bad leak. I did not stay as I was informed that it would be toxic and dangerous until it cleared. I'm not sure if I should replace whatever part is leaking or replace the refrigerator. It is a 2009 and I don't want to change the look of the wood panels on the refrigerator and found a used Dometic. Mine is a DM2862 and the one I found is a RM3762 out of a 2008 RV. They look exactly the same, but I'm sure there must be some difference to the two. Are there any major differences or size changes between the 2 or would the RM3762 fit the current space. I don't want to demo or alter the space to fit something completely different. Any insight or data I can find showing comparisons would be great.

wdk450

You might check into getting just the refrigerator cooling unit (ammonia cooling system sealed unit) replaced. A local repairer could do this or you could with a couple of helpers. There are videos on You Tube about doing this.
Here is a search off of the RV Cooling Unit Warehouse of your model number:

jerryjay11

I agree with wdk450. Replacing an absorption with another older one isn't the best of ideas. But replacing the cooling unit is a bit easier with help on the removing the unit from the RV. Just in case you are not familiar with this, the complete refrigeration unit is removed in one piece and a new one installed. This will give you a new refrigeration system that should last for years.

RoadJunkie

When my Norcold 2118 experienced the embarrassing "Yellow Stain of Death", I turned to the good folks at JC Refrigeration, and installed an amish-built cooling unit as an alternative to OEM. My wife helped me remove the old refrigerator and a friend helped rotate the fridge so that the cooling unit faced up and available for replacement. The JC unit uses quality tubing and includes all that you will need to replace the old unit. You would use some parts off of the old unit. I would estimate the project to take 4-6 hours to complete. JC also has how-to videos available.

Jajjaaj

You might check into getting just the refrigerator cooling unit (ammonia cooling system sealed unit) replaced. A local repairer could do this or you could with a couple of helpers. There are videos on You Tube about doing this.
Here is a search off of the RV Cooling Unit Warehouse of your model number:
And the price seems really good on the new cooling unit, which also includes a rebate. Though, the rebate is only good if the core has an 'outer frame'? Not sure what that is? Would the new part have this frame?

Jajjaaj

I agree with wdk450. Replacing an absorption with another older one isn't the best of ideas. But replacing the cooling unit is a bit easier with help on the removing the unit from the RV. Just in case you are not familiar with this, the complete refrigeration unit is removed in one piece and a new one installed. This will give you a new refrigeration system that should last for years.
After reading both his and your reply, it makes far more sense to buy a cooling unit than pulling a refrigerator out and installing another. The price is right too.

Jajjaaj

When my Norcold 2118 experienced the embarrassing "Yellow Stain of Death", I turned to the good folks at JC Refrigeration, and installed an amish-built cooling unit as an alternative to OEM. My wife helped me remove the old refrigerator and a friend helped rotate the fridge so that the cooling unit faced up and available for replacement. The JC unit uses quality tubing and includes all that you will need to replace the old unit. You would use some parts off of the old unit. I would estimate the project to take 4-6 hours to complete. JC also has how-to videos available.
Thank you! I'll check them out.

mlpeloquin

You can also replace the cooling unit with a 12V compressor system. One friend did just that one month ago. Fridge and freezer are very cold and no more worry about ammonia or the hydrogen leaking and starting a fire.

Jajjaaj

You can also replace the cooling unit with a 12V compressor system. One friend did just that one month ago. Fridge and freezer are very cold and no more worry about ammonia or the hydrogen leaking and starting a fire.
I've never heard of this? Do you have any links I can follow? I'd like to look into that.