Dometic Power Awning Not Retracting Properly

Ornofrk

My power Dometic awning on my 2011 Big Horn 3670 does not retract completely on the right side, i.e., the awning arm does not seat completely into the track? It seats properly on the left hand side. It appears that when the awning rolls up, it is slightly crooked, not wound tight on that side. I don't know if I left the awning out in a wind storm and the entire awning shifted slightly in the track? If so, how do I correct this? I am concerned that with the arm not seated completely, and this is the arm at the front of the trailer, it may blow open as I am heading down the road.

Jerry O.
2011 Big Horn 3670RL

Sniper

My power Dometic awning on my 2011 Big Horn 3670 does not retract completely on the right side, i.e., the awning arm does not seat completely into the track? It seats properly on the left hand side. It appears that when the awning rolls up, it is slightly crooked, not wound tight on that side. I don't know if I left the awning out in a wind storm and the entire awning shifted slightly in the track? If so, how do I correct this? I am concerned that with the arm not seated completely, and this is the arm at the front of the trailer, it may blow open as I am heading down the road.

Jerry O.
2011 Big Horn 3670RL
Ours started doing the same thing. I was told the awning may have slipped. I have been getting on the step ladder we carry, and while the BH retracts the awning I place my pocket knife between the arm, and the track/mount to get it to sit flush, but I need to figure out a permanent fix as well.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My awning almost never retracts properly. Sometimes I hole the arm closest to the door to help guide it, but I am very careful to not cut my hand off while doing that.
Sometimes a rap with my fist will get it where it needs to be.
Sometimes I just leave it if I have too much trouble. I haven't lost it yet.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My awning almost never retracts properly. Sometimes I hole the arm closest to the door to help guide it, but I am very careful to not cut my hand off while doing that.
Sometimes a rap with my fist will get it where it needs to be.
Sometimes I just leave it if I have too much trouble. I haven't lost it yet.

Peace
Dave

I do the same. It's not likely to blow off since the awning is rolled tight.

sjbclb

We had that problem on the front awning on our Landmark. Our tech measured everything and found the frt uprite brackets were not square. He tried to adjust them but it wasn't enough. He asked me if he could try something. Well he took a short piece of two wire cable about 6-10 inches long and put at end longways next to the roller and awning. When you roll up the awning it takes up the extra space letting the awning pull up tight against the wall.
It took up the extra slack on the one side of the awning.

RoadJunkie

Mine, also on a 3670, was having major alignment issues. I finally got on the roof and removed the screws that hold the awning centered in the track that is attached to the side of the rig. Now, that the awning was free to move within the track, I rolled up the awning. This seemed to realign the awning with the supports. I reapplied the screws to maintain the new position. The process helped, but moving, releveling, and putting different torque points on the rig seems to influence the overall awning alignment. Anyway, that's my theory.

MTPockets

Ours has done that for three years. I'm now in the habit where I give the retracting arm a push when it's just about done retracting. That extra push seats it all the way in. Works for me.