Dometic Tech Service Bulletin

gdawgs24

I posted a while back issues I was having with my air conditioner on my 2017 big horn. Much to my surprise (not) I got a recall notice from heartland in the mail yesterday regarding the air conditioners. So If you have recently purchased a new heartland manufactured rv you may want to check with your ac. My ac would freeze up causing severe condensation in the ceiling also I could not set the temp below 72 degress or it would freeze up.

TxCowboy

Re: Dometic RECALL!!

I can't seem to locate this recall information on either the Dometic or the HL websites.

SNOKING

I can't seem to locate this recall information on either the Dometic or the HL websites.

If it effects your unit, you will receive a letter in the mail. Got mine yesterday.

There are a couple other threads going on the subject with more information.

Chris

Mburtsvt

I know I will get some static on this - but this is NOT A RECALL. It’s a TSB, (technical service bulletin). No safety issues are in question that would require a recall. Nothing will be replaced on your AC. An examination of the units will be performed and a few additional holes that were drilled will be filled.

Gary521

This TSB affects Dometic Blizzard AC's on Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country. I do not think these units are use on any other Heartland products. I do not know when Heartland started using the Blizzard but it has not been very long.

GETnBYE

I sure would like to know if we are included in the TSB, while our Bighorn is already in the shop we could have this addressed now and save the rest of summer camping time.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life

I sure would like to know if we are included in the TSB, while our Bighorn is already in the shop we could have this addressed now and save the rest of summer camping time.

Wayne...

Call Heartland customer service with your Vin # and they should be able to let you know.

gdawgs24

They will be replacing something on mine because if I set it below a certain temp the thermostat reads 32 degrees like its frozen up. I have found the sweet spot of about 72 degrees. As long as I leave it on that no matter what I have the fan setting on it does fine. but if I put it on 69 again no matter what fan setting I have it on after about an hour it says its 32 degrees on the inside. So if this recall does not fix the issues it will not be accepted back until it is fixed.

Relayman

my 2017 3270rs just had the correction done to both ac units and it corrected the issue !!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
My Landmark Orlando came off line 1.5 weeks ago.It was taken to Morryde for IS and disc brakes.We were planning to pick it up around the11th of July. Just found out today that Heartland is picking up the unit from Morryde and taking it back to the factory for the AC fix.I an glad that Heartland is doing this before it is sent to the dealer.It might delay us from getting our 5th wheel by a week, but better that than have to worry about it down the road.Thanks Heartland

I received the service bulletin and called heartland service. I was informed that even though my Newport falls into the category effected by the bulletin, the three units on my coach may or may not be the "blizzard type" and the only way to know for sure is to remove the shroud and check. Here's where it gets squirrely...since we live full time in the coach and are 600 miles away from our dealer, our only option is to have a mobile technician come out (at a service charge of $75? which Heartland will NOT pay for) and check/fix the AC units.
My question is, if I have run these AC units for the past three months under very hot and humid Arkansas conditions with no problems, is it safe to assume there is no problem with my AC and I can forego paying for a service call to fix the inadequacies of Dometic and Heartland?
Your advice is much appreciated.

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
See post #12,We drove up to Atlanta last week and then we were to go to Knoxville to pick up our Landmark Orlando We were to leave Atlanta last Tuesday to go to Knoxville. Monday night we get a call that the AC's are still leaking water and that the factory wants the unit back to see what is causing the problem.So Tuesday we drove back home to Ft. Lauderdale.Waiting to hear what happens next.

Gary521

Grantt, go on the Dometic website and see what a Blizzard looks like. They are somewhat contoured. The difference between the Dometic models is readily apparent from the ground. Ask Heartland customer service for the service bulletin if you have the Blizzard. It is an easy fix.

NHCelt

It is freezing...that's why it reads 32 degrees..., and this tsb will not correct that. I suspect that you have air mixing in your ductwork. Check for end of run foam blocks in all 4 ductwork ends. If there, seal them. If not there...find them. They are frequently installed in the wrong place. Use a flashlight and cell phone camera to see into the ductwork.
This fixed mine...

They will be replacing something on mine because if I set it below a certain temp the thermostat reads 32 degrees like its frozen up. I have found the sweet spot of about 72 degrees. As long as I leave it on that no matter what I have the fan setting on it does fine. but if I put it on 69 again no matter what fan setting I have it on after about an hour it says its 32 degrees on the inside. So if this recall does not fix the issues it will not be accepted back until it is fixed.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Take the cover off the AC unit (be sure power is off) and look at the metal cover covering the Evaporator coil. Mine did not have all of the screws in it and was letting hot air mix with the cooled air. Be sure the metal cover is making a good seal. I screwed mind down and sealed the edges of the metal cover with aluminum AC foil tape. Also look at the coil as since mine was not sealed it allowed dust and dirt to get into it and it was filthy. Cleaned the coil before replacing the metal cover. Works great with cooler air and more airflow after getting it back together.