dometic thermostat

I have a 2012 3650rl big country 5th wheel that we bought a couple weeks a go and im trying to figure out the air conditioning and furnace
I believe the living room air conditioner and heat are controlled from the thermostat on the wall in the hallway with a simple one zone thermostat which I like the problem is the bedroom thermostat its a programable thermostat that wont stay programed can I change this out to a single zone without any issues or are there more than one zone operated off this unit?
Thanks for any help
Jeff

DocFather

Usually, the furnace is controlled only with the Living Room thermostat. Make sure the fan is on "auto" and not "Lo" or "high" or else the A/C fan will kick in when it is not supposed to.

I just reread your post. Can you take a pic of your thermostasts? Not sure what programming you are wanting to do in the bedroom.

Is this similar?
$_35.JPG

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi wrenchead30,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The bedroom thermostat is probably the Comfort Control unit which is capable of controlling multiple zones, but is only used to control one zone and one A/C unit. I think the only programming it retains is the MODE and SET POINT TEMPERATURE.

As to whether you can use a Single Zone LCD thermostat with the bedroom A/C unit, you might have to ask Dometic whether the two units are interchangeable. The wiring may not be the same. Dometic customer service is at 800-544-4881.

Yep thats what I got in the bedroom it just makes no sense that everytime I want to change the temp or just put it on fan you have to reprogram it
Docfather that is the one I have in my living room and would like to install in my bedroom
I will contact dometic to see if i can use the same thing in the bedroom thanks for the help guys
Jeff

danemayer

Yep thats what I got in the bedroom it just makes no sense that everytime I want to change the temp or just put it on fan you have to reprogram it
Docfather that is the one I have in my living room and would like to install in my bedroom
I will contact dometic to see if i can use the same thing in the bedroom thanks for the help guys
Jeff

Jeff,

I'm not following you. On my Comfort Control thermostat, if it was last used in COOL mode, with a set point of 72 (F), when I use the button on the bottom to turn it ON, it remembers that it's in COOL mode, 72 (F).

If I want to switch it to FAN mode, I have to press some buttons. If I want to change the set point temp, I have to press some buttons.

On the Single Zone LCD thermostat, I have to also press some buttons to do those things. Just different buttons.

What am I missing?

Im pretty sure mine dont work correctly it forgets what I set for example last night I turned it on before I went to bed and in the middle of the night the air shut off and went to fan and it got hot so I got up and looked at the thermostat and the clock was changed and the temp was setting wrong and the program indicater was flashing waiting for me to confirm program its like it losing its memory and it also was still in cool mode this is why I would just like to go with thermostat that I have in my living room

Jacknel

My thermostat is exactly like the one shown. There are three wires connected. 12+12-comms. I would like to replace with a Honeywell programable, but need wiring instructions. Anyone out there that can help? Thanks

danemayer

My thermostat is exactly like the one shown. There are three wires connected. 12+12-comms. I would like to replace with a Honeywell programable, but need wiring instructions. Anyone out there that can help? Thanks

Not sure your Dometic digital thermostat is compatible with residential thermostats. Back when the RV thermostat was analog, it was pretty straightforward to replace. Not so much these days. But who knows, maybe someone has figured it out.

mmomega

AnyTimer
A lot of residential thermostats use 24v as opposed to our RV's and 12v.

I've been reading and it's possible to use a 24VDC Transformer and Relays and I've gotten in contact with someone on another forum to see if he will send me his diagram and parts list.

I have the Dometic Comfort Control in the bedroom and I don't like it at all. I also have the "plain jane" Dometic thermostat in the hallway that controls the main AC and furnace and I prefer it so much more but I am just looking at options for residential style thermostats.

Jacknel

If you use a programable to run the furnace only, use a thermostat with batteries and connect to the thermostat wires on the furnace. All you are doing is closing a switch on the thermostat to run the furnace. Voltage doesn't matter when you wire this way. Let me know if you need detailed instructions. Mine works great.

Jacknel

This is how I connected a Honeywell programable thermostat to my furnace. Since I only wanted to program my heating and not my cooling, I disconnected the two thermostat wires from my AC to my furnace. I simply cut the two blue wires near the furnace, and put a marr connecter on each AC wire to isolate them. I installed the Honeywell on the wall above the Dometic thermostat and I was able to fish two wires through the wall and then over to the furnace and connected to the two blue wires still connected to the furnace. The other ends were connected to the white and common wire on the thermostat. This circuit connects the two blue wires and starts and stops the furnace. The furnace must have batteries in it to control the tiny switches in the thermostat. No need to worry about voltages because all you are douing is opening and closing the thermostat circuit. My AC still works the same with the Dometic thermostat, but it no longer controls the furnace. The Honeywell controls the furnace. Because I was able to fish the wires through the wall, it looks like factory. Mine works great.