Door Gas Strut Bracket Loose

Hi y’all from Texas!
I have a 2017 Elkridge E292 and the screws are coming out of the gas strut bracket on the door. I tried a plastic anchor in the holes and it held for a week. Any good ideas out there to remedy this? I’m just not sure how far I can go with the door, hole size, etc.
I very much appreciate any help I can get!
Have a great day y’all!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Assuming the frame is wood, get some hardwood dowel to snugly fit the holes and Titebond III wood glue. Apply the glue to the dowel and tap it in. Then trim it flush. Once the glue has dried, drill a pilot hole for the screw and remount the bracket.
For smaller holes, use round wooden toothpicks with glue to tightly fill the hole, then drill the pilot hole.

Plastic anchors need to expand as the screw is driven in to hold. They’re made for drywall or hollow walls. If what you’re dealing with is hollow metal frame, you may need a toggle bolt to attach it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Assuming the frame is wood, get some hardwood dowel to snugly fit the holes and Titebond III wood glue. Apply the glue to the dowel and tap it in. Then trim it flush. Once the glue has dried, drill a pilot hole for the screw and remount the bracket.
For smaller holes, use round wooden toothpicks with glue to tightly fill the hole, then drill the pilot hole.

Plastic anchors need to expand as the screw is driven in to hold. They’re made for drywall or hollow walls. If what you’re dealing with is hollow metal frame, you may need a toggle bolt to attach it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That may work, this is a door on my RV and I was afraid to try that, the anchor I used is the type you screw in and then break it off flush with surface, nearly the same as a wood dowel. But I’ll try the dowel and glue next, THANK YOU!!

TrailCreek

You can epoxy a small metal plate, 18 guage minimum, under the current holes. Check the frame seal. If it drips when you open the door, the seals are leaking and need to be sealed or any wood in the door could rot.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

The 3 holes for the bracket are on the outside of the door. There is no water leaking into the door, I have it sealed. I fixed it using wooden dowels windless down in size to fit the holes. I covered them with a very good glue and put some in the holes as well. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and I then put epoxy on the back of the bracket and put the screws in place, and they actually snugged up nicely. I will check it daily to see if it holds up, but I think we’re good now! Thanks for any help given!! Happy camping!!