Double Pane -- good idea?

loudounrv

My wife and I have been shopping for about a year now. The idea of double-pane windows intrigues me for the added R-factor and the added benefit of keeping out noise. But now Im faced with a $2,000 price tag to add this option. A few salesman have also mentioned that double-pane windows can collect moisture in between the panes. Im not sure if they are speaking from experience, or if they are trying to persuade me to the buy the units on their lots which have single pane windows. So, I have a few questions for those of who with dual pane windows: a) would you do it again? In other words is this a must-have option for you now, or just a nice-to-have? b) is there any truth to the moisture issue? c) would you mind sharing how much this option cost on your trailer? While shopping for 4100s, one dealer quoted $2,000 and another quoted $1,300 for the same trailer. I'm actually more interested in what this option would cost for other trailers because now my wife and I are shopping for coventional fifth wheels instead of toy haulers. Im much more familiar with toy hauler pricing. So any real-world pricing for this option on other trailers would be very helpful. Thank you!

davebennington

Yes they are worth having. We ave had our unit since 2005 and never had any moisture between the panes. They do help keep the cold and heat out and they also help keeping the moisture from forming on the inside in the cold weather.
I would not have a trailer without them.

dave

dfk009

Our salesman talked us out of it when we ordered our trailer. Wish we would have done what we wanted to do...ordered them! Single pane sweats so much.

Don

Gizzy

We have them and would not buy another coach without. I suspect that you will hear from folks that have them and very few (if any) would probably say anything negative.
Do your homework and shop around. Don't believe most of what salesmen tell you. Ask LOTS of questions on this forum and make up your mind from the responses. Most folks have "been there, done that" and you will learn a lot. Order the coach you want with the options you want and you won't be sorry.
If you buy off the dealer lot, chances are you will not have everything you want on that coach. JMHO

ILH

I've had both - I'll never be without again. Single pane windows sweat and allow much more noise.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another vote for dual panes. Aside from the heat/cool improvements, IMHO they also reduce noise.

There have been a number of threads on this subject over the past few years.

Go to the search window in the upper right of the page and type in "dual pane windows".

Trace

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
a) yes
b) no moisture with the dual panes, lots of moisture with single pane
c) about $1400.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know which model 5th wheel you are thinking about other than the toy hauler, but MSRP on dual pane windows for the Bighorn is $2013.
Cyclone dual pane MSRP is $1,949.
So, if you negotiate the price of the total package and can get around 30% off, then the windows will be about $1,400.
Oh, we have em and would not be without.

Peace
Dave

gebills

We don't hav'em, and really wish we did. That's just another one of the mistakes that I've made. Our single pane windows sweat, and they do allow much cold air to transfer into the coach. Wish we had the dual panes. I know without a doubt, they would be warmer that what we have. I can't speak to the sweating with dual panes. I can speak to the sweating produced with single panes; yes, the single panes sweat.

Last edited:

Niles

Another vote for yes, all of the above, don't sweat, warmer, keeps heat out, quieter, in other words it's worth it. We have had one lose it's seal and have the fog in between the panes. It's one of the small ones in our door side slide. That is our only complanit trying to get with the manufacture (Hern) to replace it.

mobilcastle

From the replies I have read here I wander if they REALLY want you to get them?:cool: We have them and they are much better than our last rig which did not.

blong

We got them on our previous rig because they were there, and this year it was a deal breaker on the new one, so we ordered instead of buying without off the lot. Never will have another trailer without, worth every penny and no sweating between panes... and we travel south in the spring, even at 0 degrees with the heat blasting windows were dry. You will love the 4100, Enjoy.

danemayer

anybody Know the added weight of dual pane windows, let say on large Bighorn?

I don't know that anyone will have an accurate answer on weight. For one thing, each floor plan will have different window sizes and configurations. For another, I'm not sure any window manufacturer publishes weight specifications.

You could use this calculator to find the weight of each extra pane. A 48"X28"X 3/16" pane is about 23 lbs. Based on that, I'd guess the extra panes in our rig come to between 150 and 200 lbs. That assumes the thickness of each pane is the same in a single pane or dual pane configuration.

sengli

We took the factory tour last year, and at that time we asked this very question. Kary K told me to expect the dual panes to add 350-400lbs to the big horn we were looking at. He also told me that the dual panes were only rated at .7 R factor. The frames on the windows are aluminum , so they conduct heat easily. There are many opinions.