Draining the coroplast

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks Rick. You are right, all the batt needs to come out and replaced. Did it to our BC, didnt expevt to have to do it to this one though.
Just wondering, have you ever thought about using something other than coroplast? And how would you seal it on the frame if did use something different. I had thought about FRP when we had the BC, but never did it.

donr827

It is hard to believe that a problem like this is considered to be normal by some owners. If the trailer is sealed correctly it would not happen. JMO
Don

KWire

Larry,

I've been lurking here for some time and learning all I can about the Landmark. I have been leaning toward it over SOB...

I have read about your problems with great interest. From the pictures it appears there was a LOT of water in there. I can't see how that much could get in from just driving in the rain. Did you look around the wheels for an obvious hole?

Also how much water was in the fresh water tank as you were driving. I have seen on other threads where a fellow filled his tank and 1/3 of it leaked out before getting to the campground due to sloshing out one of the vents.

You said:
I put a flow meter outside the coach and pressurized the coach.

Can you explain that some more? Did you fill the tank and then put air pressure on it and come back an hour later and the pressure was the same?

I know you said
there really are no water leaks on my trailer.
, but I would hate to think just from driving in the rain, so I hope you find some other reason...

Keith

SouthernNights

Larry,

I've been lurking here for some time and learning all I can about the Landmark. I have been leaning toward it over SOB...

I have read about your problems with great interest. From the pictures it appears there was a LOT of water in there. I can't see how that much could get in from just driving in the rain. Did you look around the wheels for an obvious hole?
There was several gallons in there. Yes I have identified three places where the water got it. Two of them are by the spring hangers on the right side where the coroplast stopped about an inch from the frame. The third is where the drop frame begins just in front of the steps.

Also how much water was in the fresh water tank as you were driving. I have seen on other threads where a fellow filled his tank and 1/3 of it leaked out before getting to the campground due to sloshing out one of the vents.

I NEVER carry water in the fresh tank. In fact the drain valve is always open to the fresh tank.

You said:

Can you explain that some more? Did you fill the tank and then put air pressure on it and come back an hour later and the pressure was the same?

I used a flow meter. Very similar to what you would have on a water meter at your house. Very similar to this one.
images.jpg

I know you said , but I would hate to think just from driving in the rain, so I hope you find some other reason...

Keith

One thing you have probably figured out about this forum already, many of us use it to share problems for various reasons, whether it is for advice, or showing others what was done to solve or prevent a problem and it is all done with out bashing the product.

Issues like this one could happen no matter what brand you purchase. The factory does monitor some of the this forum and does provide feedback in some cases, whether on the forum or through a more direct means.

I don't know what other brand you are considering but suffice it to say that this is our second HL product. I know several who are on the their third. That has to say something for the HL product.

KWire

Thanks for the extra information Larry.

Yes I am familiar with user forums and realize they are sometimes used as a place to vent... (I have been reading all the posts since Oct.)

We currently have a TrailManor (a kind of popup with hard sides). We love it, but we will be retiring in a couple of years and the TM is too small for extended travel, so we are looking at Landmarks.

I love this Forum, it has the same community feel as the TMO site. And the factory support is unsurpassed. In fact I totally eliminated two other companies because of a lack of an User Forum.

Thanks again, Keith

jbeletti

Keith,

I went from a Trailmanor (3023) to a Landmark in 2005. Quite the jump, but like you, I knew what I wanted.

Funny thing too, I searched online and used the Trailmanor Owners Forum. I met another guy on that forum who owned a Trailmanor in the same area as me and he bought his Landmark before I bought mine.

Funnier still..... He and I started this forum.

Best of luck in your search for the right 5th wheel for you and if your choice is a Heartland, we'll all be here for you.

Jim

57chevyconvt

Just finished doing some upgrade to the suspension system. While under the trailer I looked closely at the coroplast installation in the area of the spring hangers. There was a sizeable gap between coroplast and frame on the door side above the equalizer, around the hanger bracket. Took a piece of light gauge galv. sheet metal and covered/filled in the gap. After installing the sheetmetal, I caulked along the fame to coroplast juncture with a Loctite rubberized caulking. Also noted that the hyd. cylinder rod opening for the door side slide in located above the tires. The hole in the frame for the hyd. cyl. rod is large enough to allow water to enter the underbelly of the trailer. I used a piece of Teflon gasket material to close the gap around the rod. Hope this will solve some of the water problems above the coroplast underbelly covering.

CactusTwo

Yes, mine does leak too, although it seams not to be well sealed anyways, It would keep put critters but around the axle brackets and waste pipes and corners it seems quite open. I drilled 1/4" drain hole at the low spots to drain off the water and until water flows uphill, I'm not worried about the holes sucking up water. DRIVING in the rain, I call that mother natures under belly wash:confused:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we removed a large section of underbelly this fall, I noticed evidence of water/residue staining on the coroplast, mainly under each tank (lowest points). We have no leaks, so it must have been from driving in the rain and also the slush of our winter trip, where they use salt and chemicals to melt the snow/ice. The belly was completely dry, so no damage was evident. I did make a point to seal better around our spare tire, which is located very close to the front of the rig. (The coroplast is cut around the bracing for the tire.)

I don't know any rig that could be completely water-tight with this type of underbelly material. It's really pretty flexible.

Anyone have a good replacement idea?

Erika

kkamshop

Couple of other comments... when we had the LevelUp installed, they dropped the belly and Ken asked about the water - the guy there said he has never opened one of any brand that didn't have water inside... he would have been talking about DRV and Heartland because those were the brands that LevelUp was being installed on at the time

You wouldn't think that much water could get in, but a couple of hours in a heavy/steady rain will cause a gallon or more to accumulate...

Jim H was right about the openings around the springs and the slide out mechanisms, sounds like he did a good job of "waterproofing" that area...

SouthernNights

Couple of other comments... when we had the LevelUp installed, they dropped the belly and Ken asked about the water - the guy there said he has never opened one of any brand that didn't have water inside... he would have been talking about DRV and Heartland because those were the brands that LevelUp was being installed on at the time

You wouldn't think that much water could get in, but a couple of hours in a heavy/steady rain will cause a gallon or more to accumulate...

Jim H was right about the openings around the springs and the slide out mechanisms, sounds like he did a good job of "waterproofing" that area...

I asked Ben at MorRyde today if they have ever come up with a way to seal the underbelly. He said the tried some aluminum sheets, but they have not been successful either.

I never kept 100% of the water out of my BC, but it never got as much water in it as this trailer -even before I had resealed the BC.

hoefler

Also, any water in the fresh water tank will cause a condensation problem in the belly area. Water will collect on the outside of the tank. When I re-installed my fresh tank, the only evidence of water, was under the tank, and no leaks.