Dreaming Hard On The Cyclone King 4100

Or quite possibly the Cyclone 4200. So much to consider! Anyone else pulling either of these and finding them to be a hassle with that length? Age old question...Do you find it difficult to find plenty of campgrounds/RV parks to enjoy with this length?

We will be full time after we purchase our RV sometime this year hopefully. Our plan is to spend time in all sorts of areas, including wide open spaces (boon docking), and any other campground/RV park that can accommodate us.

I'm sure we'll have tons more questions as we get out there & look at more Cyclone models in person.

PumpkinTS

I just asked this question basically, I am looking to buy this model as well and am worried about finding places. The salesman don't know of many places, and googling netted few results. I am in Southern California and I suspect you are too, it seems tough out here to find places. I could be wrong though.

danemayer

I just asked this question basically, I am looking to buy this model as well and am worried about finding places. The salesman don't know of many places, and googling netted few results. I am in Southern California and I suspect you are too, it seems tough out here to find places. I could be wrong though.

Hi pumpkinTS,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I responded to your other post.

Last edited:

ray587

I have a Road Warrior that is 42 1/2 ft long. No problems yet whenever I go camping. Most rv parks and campgrounds will post the max length their spots will accomodate.

scottyb

We have had no problems. We do plan ahead and make reservations for specific sites. When we are just stopping for the night, we have been always able to find parks that have sites long enough to allow us to remain hitched.

Hi PumpkinTS, it's all worth considering for sure. I guess we've decided to just continue planning ahead as we've always done. We're actually in Northern CA. We'll be boondocking some of the time anyway, & there's lots of that here in CA at least. Best of luck with your decision!

Thank you Ray587 and Scottyb for your responses. I appreciate that! Helps us alot to know that others out there are pleased with theirs. Planning to move ahead!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Donna, have fun picking the one you like. 2 words of caution: If you order one, make sure you get the Goodyear G614 tires. You did not say what your TV will be. Both of these TH are HEAVY. Probably 19K+ GVWR (loaded for travel weight) with a pin weight of close to 4K+. You will need at least a 2011 or newer 1 tn DRW truck...(no gassers), to be "legal". Good luck and hope you become a Heartlander soon.

Hi Bob&Patty, Thank you for the advice about the tires. I really appreciate all the info I can get right now. As for the truck, we currently have a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 which we plan to upgrade when the time comes. You're right about it being a heavy TH. I finally got an eyeful up close & personal yesterday. Thanks for the weight specs. Lots to consider. P.s. The 4200 is mighty tempting right now for our needs, but we'll see!

Donna, have fun picking the one you like. 2 words of caution: If you order one, make sure you get the Goodyear G614 tires. You did not say what your TV will be. Both of these TH are HEAVY. Probably 19K+ GVWR (loaded for travel weight) with a pin weight of close to 4K+. You will need at least a 2011 or newer 1 tn DRW truck...(no gassers), to be "legal". Good luck and hope you become a Heartlander soon.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Donna, I sure like my 2013 GMC 1tn DRW. It's a brute and love the exhaust brake. No matter where we go...we average 11.3 MPG towing. We have put 30K trouble free miles on it and only been to the dealer for oil changes. The 2015's are really nice.

Great info :)
Donna, I sure like my 2013 GMC 1tn DRW. It's a brute and love the exhaust brake. No matter where we go...we average 11.3 MPG towing. We have put 30K trouble free miles on it and only been to the dealer for oil changes. The 2015's are really nice.

scottyb

I doubt if you will get that towing a 4100 or 4200. I loved my Duramax / Allison, but towing my 4100 at 60-65, I only got 8 mpg. Lower in a head wind or uphill. Now, I get about the same with my Ford.

I doubt if you will get that towing a 4100 or 4200. I loved my Duramax / Allison, but towing my 4100 at 60-65, I only got 8 mpg. Lower in a head wind or uphill. Now, I get about the same with my Ford.
I'm pretty sure that Dave has decided on a 2015 GMC 1tn DRW thanks to the helpful people on this forum. And I can understand about the mpg being in that range with those heavy models. Glad to know what we're getting ourselves into!

Boostable

As I type this I am sitting in the tightest state park I have been in yet. BUT we did get in without an issue and have had no issue with the length at any place we have visited so far. Last week the trusty GPS took me through the business district with THREE round abouts.... it was rough, but we made it and can only blame myself. We just have to be a little more diligent on our preplanning to make sure we don't have an issue with our destinations.

And like you I had a 09 2500 HD Diesel 3/4 that I traded in to get the new 2015 3500 DRW and it pulls exceptionally well. Mileage will vary, but I have been averaging 10.8~11.2 on a couple hundred mile runs loaded.

Best of luck.

scottyb

I'm pretty sure that Dave has decided on a 2015 GMC 1tn DRW thanks to the helpful people on this forum. And I can understand about the mpg being in that range with those heavy models. Glad to know what we're getting ourselves into!

Sounds like you are getting a great truck to pull whichever rig you choose. I just wanted to throw in my real life experience pulling one of these heavy rigs. My average was over 3500 mi of varied terrain, from I-10 through west Texas to 8% grades in N. AZ, and a couple runs through some serious wind. That was the deal breaker for the SRW for me. I have logged another 10K pulling the same rig over virtually the same routes with my Ford. The only difference has been the stability of the DRW.

As I type this I am sitting in the tightest state park I have been in yet. BUT we did get in without an issue and have had no issue with the length at any place we have visited so far. Last week the trusty GPS took me through the business district with THREE round abouts.... it was rough, but we made it and can only blame myself. We just have to be a little more diligent on our preplanning to make sure we don't have an issue with our destinations.

And like you I had a 09 2500 HD Diesel 3/4 that I traded in to get the new 2015 3500 DRW and it pulls exceptionally well. Mileage will vary, but I have been averaging 10.8~11.2 on a couple hundred mile runs loaded.

Best of luck.
Hi Boostable, thanks for that scenario! I enjoyed hearing your very real story, & cringed thinking about those roundabouts. Yuck.
I'm "thinking you have that 17 ft garage? I'm pretty sure that's the model we saw in person last year. Very nice, & very large as well, so you would know about getting into tight spots. I didn't think we'd ever make it into a state park though. I pretty much gave up on ever doing that after hearing so many people say otherwise. Glad to hear you're out there where you want to be!

Sounds like you are getting a great truck to pull whichever rig you choose. I just wanted to throw in my real life experience pulling one of these heavy rigs. My average was over 3500 mi of varied terrain, from I-10 through west Texas to 8% grades in N. AZ, and a couple runs through some serious wind. That was the deal breaker for the SRW for me. I have logged another 10K pulling the same rig over virtually the same routes with my Ford. The only difference has been the stability of the DRW.
Scottyb, your real life experience is so valuable to us, you have no idea. That's exactly why we're here asking questions. A million more coming! Thanks for your input :)

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Be careful not to let a truck salesman bait you with "It'll pull that rig....No Problem" Lots of trucks can pull it but for safety's sake be sure all the numbers falls within the published towing weight limits. Just because it's a diesel dually doesn't mean you have the right truck. I would expect you'll be needing one with a "heavy towing" package to stay within guidelines.

Boostable

Hi Boostable, thanks for that scenario! I enjoyed hearing your very real story, & cringed thinking about those roundabouts. Yuck.
I'm "thinking you have that 17 ft garage? I'm pretty sure that's the model we saw in person last year. Very nice, & very large as well, so you would know about getting into tight spots. I didn't think we'd ever make it into a state park though. I pretty much gave up on ever doing that after hearing so many people say otherwise. Glad to hear you're out there where you want to be!

We have a 4114, length just shy of 44' on the sticker with a 14' garage. Overall I think its a little longer and need to put a tape on it, but on the other side of that coin it doesn't feel that big MOST of the time.. lol

We are a family of 6, but one at college so 5 most of the time with 2 dogs. It definitely has enough space for us to claim our domain if you will and the garage that doubles for the kids or space for our toys is great!

We looked at the 4200 with side porch the week we picked up our 4114 (still had time to swap) and it was really nice. The issue for us was the same issue we have now, just moved from the back to the side... "space to get the porch down"

Jack