Driving the perimeter of the lower 48

ncc1701e

I plotted a full course last night at 9300+ miles. Did not take into consideration much in deviations for sightseeing or anything else. What I am really wondering about is a two part trip. Half the loop in the spring and the remaining half more in the fall.

PhotoPete

I plotted a full course last night at 9300+ miles. Did not take into consideration much in deviations for sightseeing or anything else. What I am really wondering about is a two part trip. Half the loop in the spring and the remaining half more in the fall.

Would you go home after the first half? or would you stay where you land then move on in the fall? Seems like you would have extra driving to get back home, twice.

ncc1701e

Would you go home after the first half? or would you stay where you land then move on in the fall? Seems like you would have extra driving to get back home, twice.

Just for discussion and knowing extra driving would happen, what I worked through in my mind was something like this:

Spring: Leave KY go up through IL to WI, across ND, MT, UT, to WA down through OR, CA and across AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, up through AL, TN back to KY.

Fall: Up trough IN to MI and across around down and back up. It was just thinking of options. I really lean towards Srping and Fall traveling with something at home or stationary in Jun, Jul, Aug.

But I'm pretty open to anything that works. Just think it would be aneat trip and with someone else to enjoy the time even better.

PhotoPete

Just for discussion and knowing extra driving would happen, what I worked through in my mind was something like this:

Spring: Leave KY go up through IL to WI, across ND, MT, UT, to WA down through OR, CA and across AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, up through AL, TN back to KY.

Fall: Up trough IN to MI and across around down and back up. It was just thinking of options. I really lean towards Srping and Fall traveling with something at home or stationary in Jun, Jul, Aug.

But I'm pretty open to anything that works. Just think it would be aneat trip and with someone else to enjoy the time even better.
I could see that working.

Funny thing happened last night, I was talking to my mother who is 83, she said her and my dad did a similar trip back in the 80's out of a custom van. They said it was a blast. I had forgotten they did that. must be destiny that I take the trip.

ncc1701e

I could see that working.

Funny thing happened last night, I was talking to my mother who is 83, she said her and my dad did a similar trip back in the 80's out of a custom van. They said it was a blast. I had forgotten they did that. must be destiny that I take the trip.

Food for thought

Attachments

• Spring Travel.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 48

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Did this back in the 70's just after the gas fiasco. Figured I better do it before gas got too high. Traveled in a 20 foot Shasta travel trailer. Loved my Shasta. All in all we were gone about 18 months. Before computers so my mother paid our bills. We rented out our house.

Did a lot of hiking back in the day, so we traveled from National Park/Monument, etc. to National Park. We only did about 200 miles a day. When we stopped we would hike and sight see until "we were done" then pick the next place and off we'd go. We usually stayed in a place a week or so and traveled out from "base camp". We stayed longer in CA because of snow in the mountains.

Learned a lot. Not the least of which was, when we got home nothing much had changed in our friend's and family's lives. Go figure!

Moose

When in Montana a little diversion north to Glacier National Park would be well worth the effort. Beautiful country.

Wolfpackers

Food for thought
Unless you've already "been there, done that", you would want to include the Keys in your tour to truly travel the perimeter. We did the perimeter of Fla a while back in a month...didn't see everything, but so glad we included the Keys.