Duro tires (awesome) Solution?

I am aware that this issue has been discussed multiple times, however, I have been unsuccessful in reading multiple threads that may have given a remedy to these tires (ie... if there is a recall). I have a 2009 NT 22FDS. After my dewinterization this past weekend, i discovered that my tires have multiple cracks on each of the four tires sidewalls. In addition, there is a long crack along where the sidewalls meet the tread (on 2 of the tires). I have about 3 to 5,000 miles on these tires and do not want to take trips until I replace them, but am unsure if there is something like a recall that I am unaware of. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer! In addition, my tire size is 205/75/14D. Any suggestions on new tires????

GOTTOYS

The ONLY tire available in your size that is not some Chinese made piece of junk is the Maxxis. They are also imported, but are from Taiwan and have a very good reputation. Maybe a little hard to find but worth the effort and most major tire companies can order them. Check around on the other forums and you will get the same answer. I don't know of any recalls on the Duro junk. If they gave you an adjustment it would be toward another set of the same thing. You would be wise to get rid of them...Don

I appreciate the advice. I had been looking at those. It seems weird that these duro's are on many manufacturers RV units and all have the same problem, and there is no serious solution.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Josh, one thing you will find as to trailer tires. You will be replacing them about every 3-4 years. Not because of mileage but because of time. Just a note, the worst thing a person can do to a tire is to park them in dirt. They should be covered to keep them from dry rotting from the sun and weather. JMHO

So I did some calling around. I can get the Maxis tires reasonably priced. What do you guys think of the Goodyear Marathon's? My axles are 2 x 3500 lbs. I looked up the tires and can run ST205/75R14 C's. They are rated at 1760 a piece. Only 40 lbs more than the axle ratings... Is that bad? the Maxxis M8008st's are rated the same.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Josh, one thing you will find as to trailer tires. You will be replacing them about every 3-4 years. Not because of mileage but because of time. Just a note, the worst thing a person can do to a tire is to park them in dirt. They should be covered to keep them from dry rotting from the sun and weather. JMHO

Been there, seen that with Duros on our NT. I now use a UV block product and keep them covered when not in use.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/sunblock-for-tires/1103

GOTTOYS

So I did some calling around. I can get the Maxis tires reasonably priced. What do you guys think of the Goodyear Marathon's? My axles are 2 x 3500 lbs. I looked up the tires and can run ST205/75R14 C's. They are rated at 1760 a piece. Only 40 lbs more than the axle ratings... Is that bad? the Maxxis M8008st's are rated the same.
1760# per tire X 4 = 7,040#. Axles are 7,000# for the pair but you can subtract off the tongue weight as that is carried by your tow vehicle. Should be just fine. Don't let the name Goodyear fool you. They're going to say "Made in China" on the side. There were some American Marathons but not anymore. You'll be happy with the Maxxis tires...Don

caissiel

I have a set of car tires size 205-75-15 on my work trailer not even loading C, and my 3500Lbs axles get loaded to the max most of the time. I got those tires from my Dad, and he past away in 82.
They have been doing fine and have no sign of failing.

As for me I would look at better quality C loading tires even if the load is less.

GOTTOYS

I have B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs on this trailer. My last trailer had a smaller size and the Maxxis was the only viable replacement for the one year old Duros that were cracking. I traded it off and made it somebody elses problem. Do a google search for Maxxis tires and you will find several places that sell them online. They are also available through many of the major tire retailers although they may have to order them for you...Don

hopcas

Why does Heartland use such a cheap tire. I have a 2011 North Trail and the tires are in such bad shape, they need to be replaced before my next camping trip. I have sent 2 emails with pictures of the tires with cracks in the sidewalls and tread to Heartland and they have not responded yet.
No longer than I have had this trailer, I feel that I should not have to be out the cost of replacing such an inferior tire. These tires have less than 2000 miles on them. Maxxis sounds like the best tire on the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimtoo

Why does Heartland use such a cheap tire. I have a 2011 North Trail and the tires are in such bad shape, they need to be replaced before my next camping trip. I have sent 2 emails with pictures of the tires with cracks in the sidewalls and tread to Heartland and they have not responded yet.
No longer than I have had this trailer, I feel that I should not have to be out the cost of replacing such an inferior tire. These tires have less than 2000 miles on them. Maxxis sounds like the best tire on the market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi hopcas,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some opinions soon. The Heartland line is really good and with the factory support we get, you can't beat it.

It's really hard to believe that the tires are showing cracks already. I would suggest you call the tire manufacture contact and explain your problem. If it is Treadit, they have a good reputation of handling complaints. Have pictures ready to send, and you might even post some here.

Jim M