DVR in Your Rig????

plshilo

All,
OK here is the question of the day...what type (number) is everyone useing in their rv??? We are planning on getting a roof mounted Sat in Goshen, we have Dish at home & use a 722k DVD. Disk has told us that we Shouldn't use that unit in the RV because of the road vibration, but we are not sure they are correct. So any Help from all of you out there would be Great.....Safe Travels!!!!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't have Dish, I have DirecTV, I always have the DVR receiver in the rig when traveling.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We have Dish and use the 211 box in the living room and a Wally in the bedroom. Personally I like the 211 box and remote better.
I also have 1 1TB hard drive plugged in to each of them. That gives me a ton of hours of recording, pause, fast forward,and rewind options.
I think we pay $7.00 per box on our home bill.
As much as we use it I think I would rather have the Hopper like I have at home. Mostly because with this set up I can not watch 1 channel and record another.
There has been a lot of new technology lately.
So who knows what they have available today

Hope this help
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the Winegard on the roof, and Hopper + wireless Joey for the bedroom. We used to leave the Hopper in the cabinet when we traveled, but somehow it failed at one point. Dish sent a new one, and now we remove it from the cabinet and store it under the bed for travel. We also have a small USB powered fan in the cabinet to aid in air circulation, the Hopper gets pretty warm.

--

Our BC is long and has some rear end bounce -- so it could have been the bouncing, or the heat in the cabinet, or who knows. But we rent that equipment, and Dish sent a replacement after they walked me through the troubleshooting. I shipped the old one to them in the box the new one came in.

Last edited:

Grey Ghost

We have Dish and recently just got feed up with the satellite dish and trying to locate a satellite with a compass, satellite finder and lots of luck! After many years and many arguments with the better half I decided to dump the satellite dish and purchase the dish Winegard playmaker. First time out it preformed as advertised and we just loved it. Hook it up, turn on the receiver and walk away, minutes later we had TV, all channels and even the local tv. Cannot wait to try it again a bit further from home. Next trip we are headed up the coast of California, if it ever stops raining over there! Any how, if you sick of screwing around with the compass and satellite dish for hours, we highly recommend the Winegard playmaker.:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

All,
OK here is the question of the day...what type (number) is everyone useing in their rv??? We are planning on getting a roof mounted Sat in Goshen, we have Dish at home & use a 722k DVD. Disk has told us that we Shouldn't use that unit in the RV because of the road vibration, but we are not sure they are correct. So any Help from all of you out there would be Great.....Safe Travels!!!!!![/QUOTE
We travel with Dish also and just recently purchased a Winegard Playmaker, got sick of dealing with the satellite finder, compass and many hours of trying to locate a satellite! Love it, so much simpler, plug it it and walk away and a few minutes later....TV!! We take the 211K small receiver along with us from the upstairs TV. Have never taken the 722K with us. We are now looking to switch everything in the house over to the hopper and a joey, Anyhow this system seems to work fine for us, we only have the one TV in the living room.

richheck

Seasoned Member
We installed a Winegard Trav'ler Dish Network SK-1000 dish on our coach. We have two Dish Wally's, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The living room handles both the inside living room TV and the outside set (outside set uses a wireless HDMI set connected to the Wally receiver).

We have been very pleased with the results after trying for many years using the portable stand and trying to find the sats.

We also carry a Winegard X2 portable if necessary if caused by blocked view from roof from trees etc. This unit is also automatic and has worked very well.

[h=1][/h]

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have been using the Directv Genie and small 2nd receiver in our Landmark for 3 years now and have had no issues and absolutely love it. The only issues we ever have is if the weather is horrible (and I do mean horrible), it will sometimes make the picture digital for a second or two ever so often. Other than that, its amazing and we have the recorded shows with us when we are camping and then take the receivers back in our house when we are home.

Rod

jstarwal

I have a Tailgaters and 211z receiver for two years with no problems. Also have a 2 terabyte hard drive. Love it.
I just upgraded to the Wally from Dish network. I like it better than the 211z.
Anyone needind a good 211z, i have one for sale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ksucats

Phil and Linda: If I understand your question correctly, you should have no problem with a DVR (of any type) in your unit as long as it is properly shut off / shut down before you travel. All currently have hard drives (with the Wally and 211z (I believe that is the correct number) you can add an external hard drive after paying an activation fee.) In any case, when you shut the unit off the heads on the hard drive will park themselves in a location where they are stabilized and ready to travel.

Now, that said, nothing is invulnerable to extreme shock and vibration but the newer drives are much better than the older ones for standing up to such. If budget is not a limiter you can also look at the new solid state drives out there. Size has increased substantially in the past year while prices have come down. You won't get the amount of storage but they are not as delicate as hard drives with their rotating platters and drive heads.

plshilo

Phil and Linda: If I understand your question correctly, you should have no problem with a DVR (of any type) in your unit as long as it is properly shut off / shut down before you travel. All currently have hard drives (with the Wally and 211z (I believe that is the correct number) you can add an external hard drive after paying an activation fee.) In any case, when you shut the unit off the heads on the hard drive will park themselves in a location where they are stabilized and ready to travel.

Now, that said, nothing is invulnerable to extreme shock and vibration but the newer drives are much better than the older ones for standing up to such. If budget is not a limiter you can also look at the new solid state drives out there. Size has increased substantially in the past year while prices have come down. You won't get the amount of storage but they are not as delicate as hard drives with their rotating platters and drive heads.

Ron & Cindy,
Thanks for all the information.....we plan on getting a new 722 dish recivier before we leave for Goshen and have it installed along with new roof mounted Sat. We have already talked to Elkhart sat company and have them coming to the rally to do all the work..Hope to see you in Goshen????

osims

bsims
We use a hopper and two wireless joey's with no problems and it records all prime time ABC,CBS,NBC and FOX everyday and whatever else you program it to, up to 6 channels I believe. You can pause the LR tv and watch outside or BR.