E-Z Pass Question

porthole

Retired
Here is the deal with the toll roads . . .

In New Jersey it is almost impossible to exit without paying a toll without going way out of your way, especially pulling a trailer.

The good news for all you wayward travelers is we don't charge you to get in the Garden State :rolleyes:

OEFVET

I had a problem earlier this year with the Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority. It didn't read my transponder and charged me the entire length of the Pennsylvania Turnpike instead of the 60 mile stretch I was on. Since my EZ-Pass was issued in Delaware the Delaware EZ-Pass authority appeals and challenges the overcharge on my behalf. EXCEPT for Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority MAKES the customer download the form and dispute the charge. It does take up to 45 days to get a decision (if you don't hear from them in 45 days from day they received your dispute they are required to refund) then instead of just placing the money back in the account they will snail mail you a check for the overcharges. Yes Pennsylvania is antiquated in it's handling of these disputes.

***IF I AM OVERCHARGED BY ANY OTHER TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY THAT ACCEPTS EZPASS IT IS DISPUTED DIRECTLY BY DELAWARE EZPASS, EXCEPT PENNSYLVANIA***

So long story short I checked on the status of the overcharged ezpass toll at the 30 day mark and Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority said they had no proof where I entered and exited. I explained to them that I had proof and would be happy to provide it. (DASHCAM VIDEO) to which they responded, a check will be in the mail shortly.

Takeaway here: If you don't have a dashcam with several sdcards, GET ONE! I'm convinced it's the only reason I got $88 dollars refunded. Pretty much payed for itself!

porthole

Retired
Chris I have been overcharged twice on the NJTP. Basically if there is a read error you get charged the entire length.
I argued both time based on where we live and the most common entry point, exit 7A, and where we exited both times coming back home, 7A

Bit arguing with EZpass can be quite the effort.
It took me quite some effort to find out the that the Delaware Memorial Bridge at the bottom of the NJTP is run by a small, seperate ez crew working out of south jersey.

- - - Updated - - -

And I didn't get anywhere with my dispute anyway.

For those that travel from Jersey over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, put your transponder in the silver bag, go through a 'manned' tollbooth and request the RV rate. $8 versus $20.
Same rate with an Explorer pulling a single axle pop up all the way up to a class a with tag axle pulling a trailer.

Unless you have a DRW pickup - 'that'll be $20'

Bones

I had a problem earlier this year with the Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority. It didn't read my transponder and charged me the entire length of the Pennsylvania Turnpike instead of the 60 mile stretch I was on. Since my EZ-Pass was issued in Delaware the Delaware EZ-Pass authority appeals and challenges the overcharge on my behalf. EXCEPT for Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority MAKES the customer download the form and dispute the charge. It does take up to 45 days to get a decision (if you don't hear from them in 45 days from day they received your dispute they are required to refund) then instead of just placing the money back in the account they will snail mail you a check for the overcharges. Yes Pennsylvania is antiquated in it's handling of these disputes.

***IF I AM OVERCHARGED BY ANY OTHER TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY THAT ACCEPTS EZPASS IT IS DISPUTED DIRECTLY BY DELAWARE EZPASS, EXCEPT PENNSYLVANIA***

So long story short I checked on the status of the overcharged ezpass toll at the 30 day mark and Pennsylvania Turnpike Authority said they had no proof where I entered and exited. I explained to them that I had proof and would be happy to provide it. (DASHCAM VIDEO) to which they responded, a check will be in the mail shortly.

Takeaway here: If you don't have a dashcam with several sdcards, GET ONE! I'm convinced it's the only reason I got $88 dollars refunded. Pretty much payed for itself!

I have a dash cam and I am glad I have one now but this tells me I should buy more SD cards. Do you have them for each trip and then download them?

Chris I have been overcharged twice on the NJTP. Basically if there is a read error you get charged the entire length.
I argued both time based on where we live and the most common entry point, exit 7A, and where we exited both times coming back home, 7A

Bit arguing with EZpass can be quite the effort.
It took me quite some effort to find out the that the Delaware Memorial Bridge at the bottom of the NJTP is run by a small, seperate ez crew working out of south jersey.

- - - Updated - - -

And I didn't get anywhere with my dispute anyway.

For those that travel from Jersey over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, put your transponder in the silver bag, go through a 'manned' tollbooth and request the RV rate. $8 versus $20.
Same rate with an Explorer pulling a single axle pop up all the way up to a class a with tag axle pulling a trailer.

Unless you have a DRW pickup - 'that'll be $20'

Well there goes my 12 bucks.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Duane, Did you say you have the E-Z Pass mounted on your bumper? If so, pictures requested.

OEFVET

Yes Bones I swap them out during each leg of the trip. Very inexpensive

- - - Updated - - -

Jamie I had the bumper mount but that is how I ran into problems with the transponder not getting picked up. That's when I took the transponder off the bumper and put it on my dashboard. Works very well!
IMG_1401.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Chris. Ginger said that our transponder came today and it looks like the bumper mount type. Hated to try to find a place on the bumper to mount it.

porthole

Retired
Duane, Did you say you have the E-Z Pass mounted on your bumper? If so, pictures requested.

No, I said almost every vehicle we had was on the list for requiring a bumper mount. We have never used anything but windshield mount transponders.

Still using 3 of the original 4 transponders we got in 1999, although I did get an message last week that we will shortly be receiving new replacement transponders.