EGT Gauge suggestions

DuaneG

I have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel and overheated my truck on some step hills last year. I am interested in getting a gauge installed before any long trips.

I looked at some past posts and read something about placement of sensor pre turbo. If that's the case what should I tell the installer to make sure it's put in the right place.

What model should I get and where should it be placed on or under dash. Also what should I expect the total installed cost to be around? Just ballpark for what others have paid.

Jim.Allison

I have been studying this subject too. I found out that Banks Power Systems has a pyrometer and gage in a kit. It has a quality pyrometer that is highly unlikely to break and go into the turbo. The pyrometer has to be before the turbo in order to get the reading you want. No one is going to say that a pyrometer Cant and will not break. That is jsut a CYA. A quality stainless steel pyrometer made to withstand those temps is not going to break and you will nver find a mechanic that has witnessed such a failure, not that it is impossible.

That having been said, I found an external probe that can be attached to the outside of the manifold this seems like a good solution for someone who does not want to drill into his manifold and or place a pyrometer into the exhaust stream before the turbo.

This wont give you EGT but will give you manifold temps, its all relative anyway. You will know the temp of the manifold when running normally and when it is pulling a grade. Then if you get outside those parameters then you know you have to down shift to cool the manifold off.

This does not have to be an expensive install a single gauge and external probe will do the trick. Unless you want Banks power systems fancy display or something similar.

I have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel and overheated my truck on some step hills last year. I am interested in getting a gauge installed before any long trips.

I looked at some past posts and read something about placement of sensor pre turbo. If that's the case what should I tell the installer to make sure it's put in the right place.

What model should I get and where should it be placed on or under dash. Also what should I expect the total installed cost to be around? Just ballpark for what others have paid.

Garypowell

. That having been said, I found an external probe that can be attached to the outside of the manifold this seems like a good solution for someone who does not want to drill into his manifold and or place a pyrometer into the exhaust stream before the turbo.

Jim, you did not say what the brand/model is for this external probe you found.

Rrloren

I have the Edge CTS gauge. This will monitor quite a number of functions on your truck , you get to pick which. I monitor egt's , trans temp, boost, then in the corners of the screen I have intake air temp and an on/off display which tells me if the truck is doing a regen or not. All these parameters are available thru your hookup under the steering wheel except ,of course for the need to install the EGT temp probe , pre-turbo.I think I had that done for about $50 several yrs. ago.
the gauge displays in color , very sharp and easy to keep an eye on. It isn't cheap, however at around $400 , but it does a good job.

B

BouseBill

#2 with the Edge CTS gauge, plug and play, easy to install yourself, you can mount it to the windshield, or the dash
would not be without one.

AKDallBH

I so have the Edge CTS gauges. Screen went on a nice pillar mount. With the get probe installed, was about $500. I really like the ability to choose which functions to display. It also allows you some ability to change the programming for more power or better mileage when not towing. I think it only gives 1-2 mpg improvement, but noticeably more power to pull hills in the 2nd, or 3rd power setting.

2011 Ram 3500 sure, 2008 Bighorn 3670.

rjr6150

I'm considering ordering a Dash Command using with my iPhone or iPad. Then getting a OBD-11 wireless adapter to monitor levels. Also available in android versions.

brianharrison

The Edge Insight products are simply digital gauges; the Evolution and Juice product lines add the tuning.

I ran an Insight product for many years until my early 6.4L Ford engine warraty was expired. Fortunately the Edge Insight read the factory EGTs (4 OEM sensors to be exact).

I do not think the 2008 Duramax requires an external EGT? When I select your vehicle and year on Edge site it does not offer an external EGT option. It does for the Dodge. Click for link to Edge site. A check with Edge would confirm; or maybe others with same engine and monitor can confirm your 2008 duramax has OEM EGT that can be read by the Edge Insight.

Brian

mzcummins

Edge is a very good product, ran one on my 01 and had one on my 06, if you want to just read egt you could look at Isspro, they make quality gauges and it would be cheaper (probably $150 for gauge and $30-70 for mount) I would also look at installing a boost gauge

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the Edge CTS gages also. Wouldn't want to run with out them. I had to add an exhaust sensor because it was not included in the truck sensors. I am using the graphic set and I monitor the Engine Coolant, Oil temp, exhaust temp, Trans temp, Transmission gear location.

IMG_0225 Mod.jpg