EGT guage

Gas20

Just curious I am about to buy a gauge kit and want a EGT, and tran temp gauge but was wondering what gauge for the third? Also on the EGT how high should I get as far as temp reading, 1500 or 2500 degrees, I think 1500 will be enough as you don't want it to go over about 1500 right. Also what brand I want to mount on the A post.

Rrloren

The typical gauges are the 2 you specified and Boost. I would think 1500 degrees should suit your needs . I set my alarms at 1250 altho I believe short bursts to 1350 won't hurt.
I opted for the Edge gauge system which gives you numerous parameters to pick from and plugs into the obd port. Easy to install but you do need to install a pyrometer to read egt's.
An added benefit with the Edge is you can also read when you are in regen. I'm not selling the Edge just my 2 cents.

brianharrison

I too would suggest the Edge product - simply because it can be bought as a digital gauge package only (Digital Insight), whereas some of the other vendors package the gauges with a tuner (change OEM ECU programs).

I used to run an Edge digital insight (without tuner); now I run H&S Tuner that has the digital gauges built in.

The advantage of a product that reads OEM sensors through the OBD (in addition to added Pyrometer on your truck) is that you have access to many additional parameters that the ECU "sees" . Adding dedicated gauges only allows the sensors connects to these gauges to be monitored. My 2 cents.

Brian

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
1500*s, I dont think so. 1300* scares me. 1350* max. At 1500* it would start to melt pistons. Engine water temp would be over 250 +. Oil temp would be thru the roof. Turbo melt down if held at that.

Gas20

I don't want to run the temp that high. You can get the gauges that will read to different levels, And I think all I will need is the max temp of 1500 degrees

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, yes 1500* guage would be good. I mis-read your post...ooooops. I installed manual gauges on my 07 Chebby....old school thinking. They are lots of work and time consuming. The ones suggested here I would try on my 13' GMC. Not going to do that again.

porthole

Retired
When I had my GMC for the third gauge I added a rear differential temp.

The "Mag-HyTek" cover came with the plug for a sender and the actual sender and gauge was under $50