Electric Awning

frano

The electric awning on our 2012 Edge works fine but appears to be vulnerable on windy days. I'm thinking of adding a rope and stake on the two outer corners to insure the wind cannot get under it and twist/ruin the awning structure. To date, I've reeled it in during windy conditions, but I'm concerned if we're away from the campsite when the wind comes up. Any thoughts or ideas?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've seen some folks tie and anchor electric awnings. I would be more concerned while I was away though. What if that wind that comes up is a little stronger than expected? It could cause damage if the awning is anchored. It's a tough call. I think if I had the convenience of electric, I'd just bring it in. Just my opinion.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would not use rope to tie it down. That will give it no flexibility at all. Open up the piggy bank and get a set of awning tie-downs that have shock springs to allow the awning some movement, yet still be anchored.

CliffP

I've lost an awning to a high winds in a storm. We just keep an eye on the weather and put it away if the forecast shows wind or storms.

I would not use rope to tie it down. That will give it no flexibility at all. Open up the piggy bank and get a set of awning tie-downs that have shock springs to allow the awning some movement, yet still be anchored.

How well do the the awning tie downs work? We've seen them but never gave em a second thought.

It would be cool to hook an anemometer up to your awning so it automatically retracts if the wind picks up. Guess you should be able to set it to extend back out when the wind dies down then too. Haven't come up with the plans but thought that since ours got damaged.

bill40

We use bungee's to tie ours down. We just went through a day of heavy rain ( inch) and winds 5 to 10 and had no problems. The night before the winds got into the twenties and I was out bring it in at 4am.I don't leave it out if we are going to gone all day, the bungee's make a quick disconnect easy even at 4am and sleepy eyes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The awning tie-downs work well to prevent bouncing in light to moderate winds. If high winds or storms are forecast, it's best to bring the awning in.

traveler44

With the awning being electric it takes very little time to run it out or in. If I need to stand outside and have a smoke in the rain and it is very windy I will only run ours out a little so the wind can't get under it as bad and then I run it back in as soon as I go back inside.