Electric brake controller

carl.swoyer

I have a 2005 Silverado Duramax Diesel 6.6 turbo LLY my question is my brake controller is turned all the way up and I achieve breaking but why do I have to turn it all the way up. Is this from bad DC voltage or something else

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
How are your trailer brakes adjusted?? If you have had your coach for a while, you might want to inspect your brakes, wheel bearings for any grease on them from a bad wheel seal. Sometimes using the EZ lube hub's to grease the wheel bearing, you can get TOO much grease and contaminate the brake lining with grease.

carl.swoyer

They are never lube self adjusting

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

Rollin_Free

The #1 cause is grease goes past the drum seal during lubrication and coats everything in the hub. It's the easiest to fix properly but is a mechanical issue not electrical. The pretesting process outlined below should help you diagnose if it's an electrical issue before you pull the wheel off.

With the gain at max you should get 12v DC when you measure at the TV plug. Several controllers are scaled 1 - 10 (10= 12v). Although not calibrated a 5-6 readout should be approximately 6-7v DC. If you get these measurements then go under the trailer axle where the wires two wires are spliced to the trailer wiring and do the same checks at that spot. If you get the same results across those two wires the issue is probably the brakes themselves. If the results are not close to the same reading you'll need to measure the other wheels to determine if it's trailer wiring to the wheels or the brake assembly.

There have been issues with the wiring that runs through each axle to the wheels being shorted inside where it cannot be seen. The easiest way to know if it's trailer wiring or wiring in the axle is to cut the wiring where it's spliced with 3 wires to each splice connector usually on the driver side of the trailer. I'll send pics later if needed. With this issue some controllers will give you an error readout to let you know there's an electrical problem.

IMHO it's probably grease in the drum. I only provided the electrical power testing as a method to help you isolate your problem between mechanical or electrical.

carl.swoyer

Thanks for the information. I'm in Keywest Fl so the next cool morning I will dig in

carl.swoyer

I contacted Tapatalk can't figure it out

carl.swoyer

Can't find it😭

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

That is not a Tapatalk setting . . . but one you can change in your Profile/Settings at the top right of the Heartland forum page.

Or, if you can't change it in Tapatalk you can ask any of the moderators to change it for you.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

What is your state? I will fix it.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

Florida USA

carl.swoyer

Thanks Dave

carl.swoyer

Thanks Dave

Gee Dave starting to feel like a pain but if I want to delete one of my posts how do I do that. Fyi I'm on an Android

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In the tool line below your post just click on Edit Post, then delete.

Peace
Dave