Input from y'all

dave10a

I'm going to be looking at srw's .
Are there any year model s that have any known issues from the Ford line up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I heard that some earlier pre-2010 Fords were having problems with the diesel engines that were supplied by Navistar. I don't know if it is true or not, but Ford sued Navastar over something. Since 2011 Ford has designed and manufactured their diesel engines in house. I don't believe they have had any more or less issues than GM or Ram. They all seem to be well designed and manufactured. Ford does have an edge because everything is designed in-house which allows them a marketing edge for design changes. It is easier to change something when it is done in-house rather than negotiating other manufacturers to make changes. Also Ford seems a little more innovative.
Also, if you decide to go with a dually, I believe the F450 is a better choice because it is designed to be a dually rather than an add-on like the F350. As time goes on the SRW get more capable. My 2012 has done a great job pulling my trailer, but it is the max trailer for that year while the 2019 F350 SRW is more capable.

carl.swoyer

I could have helped you out last spring !!!! We traded a '15 F350 sb, 4x4, cc, srw in on a '17 F350 dually. Yes it takes some getting used to and have to be diligent on were you park and or places your going (ie: hospital parking garages), drive -thus and gas/diesel pumps at some stations. The dually does what everyone has said, but I do miss my sb, srw. I may p/u a used 150/1500 someday to just bop around in.

Reason we went w/ the drw was due to weight of the BC. Was over on truck (which I was okay with) and over on tires which and our summer vaykay was taking us to FL in height of summer, so all the extra heat on tires being over weighed heavily on my mind, especially if the DW was driving given RV weight. So as much as I didn't want to, we bought the drw and have to say it was a smart decision. Ride IMO is still a little stiff loaded/unloaded, but again, w/ weight of the RV, the safety factor was/is well worth it. Attending a couple HL rallies here in NY, pretty much every truck was a drw, cc,4x4. Never got into any discussions as to why, but can guess as to why and probly nail it. The Fords seem to drink a tad more fuel than GM's/Rams do, but in the end, your talking perhaps a just a couple mpg's difference. All make about same HP/TQ and all have their quirks/problems/issues. Another plus w/ a dually, folks seem to give you a little more respect on the road.

This may seem odd, but I drive a semi for a livin' and can go between a single axle and twin screw w/o a problem. When it came time to go from the srw to the dually, new curveball. But same principal applies on handling which is the biggest factor. You still see many 250/350 towing RV's that are overweight for the truck, and as much as I'd like to tow our RV w/ a srw, safety is #1. If our RV was lighter, no problem. In fact, I just talked to a fella who RV's as well and when I told him what I did, he blew it off and said, "Ahhh just go with it", meaning, just tow our 16,000 RV w/ a srw. As long as we have the current coach and if the DW drives, I feel a whole lot better w/ the drw. Now this probly not what your looking for as you said you want a srw and I fully understand why (personally, I'd still like to tow w/ a srw), but if your going to tow a RV above 15,000, then you should really re-consider going w/ a drw.
NY I have considered the dually.
But the newer GMC Denali srw HD extra have a tow rating of 18k and 6k on the front axle. My 2012 landmark is just under 16k +/-.. 12700lbs empty.
These ratings are on the dot sticker from the factory. Plus I hate buying tires
My current Silverado is getting 11/12 mpg towing. This past September I got 12 mpg towing from Key West to Naples FL.
So it's a great truck I just feel as I'm leaving myself open for trouble.
I sincerely appreciate everyone's input.

Fox

You didn't indicate what years you were shopping so I'll also be vague/ limiting it to Fords diesels:

the 7.3L was much loved. By todays standards it is grossly under-powered; it was also noisy and stunk.
the 6.0L had a great share of problems. Users spent lots of $ 'bullet-proofing' them, generally with good success; still loud and stinky.
the 6.4L also had numerous (different) issues and was replaced within a few short years (08-10?); while unsure I suspect it was still loud and stinky.
then the beast, 6.7L, came out (2011); now quiet and no stink; it requires DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) - all modern (legal) diesels now use it.

During the first half of its 2011 production some 6.7L users had Serious issues and to this day it is often suggested you avoid them (referred to as Job 1 trucks). Ford did make a running change later in 2011 that resolved the issue. While the info is out there I personally have no knowledge on how to ID which is job 1 vs. later models.

During its 2012 - 2014 production the 6.7L would occasionally have (turbo, heat) issues but nothing like all the previous engines.

Models 2015 and up received significant power-train strengthening (including a new turbo) and benefited with additional power improvements; they seem to be running strong.
In 2017 Ford started using aluminum in the bodies, shaving 600? pounds - adding to available payload.

If possible I would suggest shopping from years 2015 and up. Now that the 2019 models are out that gives you a large range of reliable choices.

I'm on my second 6.7L, trading a SRW/ 3.31 ratio for a dually/ 4.10 ratio. In the past I've advocated a white truck (for its better MPG's); I should have stuck to that. <Grin>.

Attachments

• Meaher State Park.jpg
    Meaher State Park.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Geodude

One thing to remember, pickup trucks run out of payload before anything else, so this is an issue with the bigger 5th wheels. Look at overall towing capacity later as this is a marketing number for the most part. This is exactly the reason we ended up going to a dually. Once we got our actual, loaded pin weight the dually was the only answer.

A base RAM 3500 SRW would have done it, barely, but for us at least, a base truck wouldn't cut it for long haul comfort.

CarterKraft

A 2012+ would be my suggestion. Pre 2011 you should be VERY careful, google 6.0/6.4 PSD.

The 2015+ Super Duty will get you the same power-train as the 2017+ truck.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't indicate what years you were shopping so I'll also be vague/ limiting it to Fords diesels:

the 7.3L was much loved. By todays standards it is grossly under-powered; it was also noisy and stunk.
the 6.0L had a great share of problems. Users spent lots of $ 'bullet-proofing' them, generally with good success; still loud and stinky.
the 6.4L also had numerous (different) issues and was replaced within a few short years (08-10?); while unsure I suspect it was still loud and stinky.
then the beast, 6.7L, came out (2011); now quiet and no stink; it requires DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) - all modern (legal) diesels now use it.

During the first half of its 2011 production some 6.7L users had Serious issues and to this day it is often suggested you avoid them (referred to as Job 1 trucks). Ford did make a running change later in 2011 that resolved the issue. While the info is out there I personally have no knowledge on how to ID which is job 1 vs. later models.

During its 2012 - 2014 production the 6.7L would occasionally have (turbo, heat) issues but nothing like all the previous engines.

Models 2015 and up received significant power-train strengthening (including a new turbo) and benefited with additional power improvements; they seem to be running strong.
In 2017 Ford started using aluminum in the bodies, shaving 600? pounds - adding to available payload.

If possible I would suggest shopping from years 2015 and up. Now that the 2019 models are out that gives you a large range of reliable choices.

I'm on my second 6.7L, trading a SRW/ 3.31 ratio for a dually/ 4.10 ratio. In the past I've advocated a white truck (for its better MPG's); I should have stuck to that. <Grin>.

I couldn't have said it better...

LBR

A 2012+ would be my suggestion. Pre 2011 you should be VERY careful, google 6.0/6.4 PSD.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent summation, for sure.

travlingman

- - - Updated - - -

There were quite a few changes to the diesel engine on the 2017's. Went to twin pilot injection, upgraded the pistons, rods and crankshaft cylinder heads and gaskets. A bigger turbo was also new for 2017. Also added the 2 position exhaust brake.

carl.swoyer

I'm going to upgrade to a 3500 hd. Thinking of srw but I was wondering if I could get personal experience with the dually. How much trouble with parallel parking and fitting in the actual space. Engine breaking input.
Steep grade handling? And lastly,
I'm going to be purchasing certified used. Unless someone knows of a great deal on a used truck. My 2005 Silverado 2500 hd LLY Duramax Allison Crew cab long bed has to go.
Thanks for the input

As far as year model I'm thinking 2014 +

NYSUPstater

Another thought that came to me a bit ago. Most everyone will recall it was just a few years ago that the the big 3 started to thump their chests each year by shouting that some drw trucks are rated for 35,000-40,000. I for one think this is nuts and unsafe. Sure the truck might be able to tow it, but you have to stop too. Now, the trailers will have brakes, but IMO, it's just way too much weight for a 350/450 to tow and be able to stop safely.

So my point here is, if srw trucks are being advertised to tow above 15,000, IMO, your in the same scenario as I just stated above where the mfr states it can tow it, but you have to stop it. What are the ratings on tires for such weight on a srw going to be? Size of tires? Cornering? If it were me, I'd think long and hard about yanking 16,000 plus on a srw. I feel that this is a very severe set up/accident waiting to happen. All the more reason to go with a drw. That's why we went w/ a drw. Safety for us. Safety for others. Just like I don't agree w/ semis and super single tires. Think they should be banned. Just my $.02.

carl.swoyer

Another thought that came to me a bit ago. Most everyone will recall it was just a few years ago that the the big 3 started to thump their chests each year by shouting that some drw trucks are rated for 35,000-40,000. I for one think this is nuts and unsafe. Sure the truck might be able to tow it, but you have to stop too. Now, the trailers will have brakes, but IMO, it's just way too much weight for a 350/450 to tow and be able to stop safely.

So my point here is, if srw trucks are being advertised to tow above 15,000, IMO, your in the same scenario as I just stated above where the mfr states it can tow it, but you have to stop it. What are the ratings on tires for such weight on a srw going to be? Size of tires? Cornering? If it were me, I'd think long and hard about yanking 16,000 plus on a srw. I feel that this is a very severe set up/accident waiting to happen. All the more reason to go with a drw. That's why we went w/ a drw. Safety for us. Safety for others. Just like I don't agree w/ semis and super single tires. Think they should be banned. Just my $.02.
What your saying makes sense.
Very much the same reasons I have decided to go with a larger truck. My 05 Silverado HD has 235k miles on it and much of that is towing. I've been through the south & north end of the Grand canyon. I've also been across Vail Pass into Denver.
That was with my 07 cedar Creek and the very truck I'm going to sell. Recently while at the Sarasota FL rally it hit me.
Although I have made several chassis and suspension upgrades, my Silverado HD is legally un effected. The manufacturer has rated my truck as "xyz" and my updates are not going to have any factor if I were in an accident. I feel lucky that nothing has happened as far as being in an accident while towing. If I were to have an accident under my current configuration I could be submitting myself open to a big lawsuit. I'm listening to everyone.