Electric Slides Move Slow

Schultz14

We have a 2011 Heartland 3100ES 5[SUP]th[/SUP]wheel with 3 slides (electric). I searched the forum for posts on this subject and everything I find seems to be for hydraulic actuated slides. Very little on the electric type so I’m creating this post. But if you can point me to a post with slow electric slides (not the line dance) that would be great too.
Everything was working fine when we last used the 5er in 2019. When out to get some camping equipment for a granddaughter a few weeks back and the slides all move very slow. I’m plugged into shore power 24 hr a day with the battery disconnected. This has always been our usual parked at home setup.
Everything else seems to work fine, all the lights (12 and 120v), microwave, everything. I looked at all the fuses, they’re good. I’m not strong with electrical troubleshooting either. My first thought is to check the ground. On our old 5er there was a main ground wire bolted to the frame. That got rusty once and caused problems. With the underbelly covered on this rig I don’t know where to start to look for a main ground.
Any suggestions on what to do are appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Augie

Last edited by a moderator:

pegmikef

We have a 2011 Heartland 3100ES 5[SUP]th[/SUP]wheel with 3 slides (electric). I searched the forum for posts on this subject and everything I find seems to be for hydraulic actuated slides. Very little on the electric type so I’m creating this post. But if you can point me to a post with slow electric slides (not the line dance) that would be great too.
Everything was working fine when we last used the 5er in 2019. When out to get some camping equipment for a granddaughter a few weeks back and the slides all move very slow. I’m plugged into shore power 24 hr a day with the battery disconnected. This has always been our usual parked at home setup.
Everything else seems to work fine, all the lights (12 and 120v), microwave, everything. I looked at all the fuses, they’re good. I’m not strong with electrical troubleshooting either. My first thought is to check the ground. On our old 5er there was a main ground wire bolted to the frame. That got rusty once and caused problems. With the underbelly covered on this rig I don’t know where to start to look for a main ground.
Any suggestions on what to do are appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Augie

Your problem is you do not have enough amperage to run the slides. They run off your batteries so they must be hooked up. All you are getting now is the converter output which is intended only to keep your batteries charged. Keep your batteries connected while you are on shore power. You will see an immediate difference. The converter will keep them charged up. Make sure your batteries are charged up. They should be maintained at 13.2 v

Gary521

Why do you feel that it was necessary to disconnect the battery while being plugged in?

wdk450

If you don't have a Progressive Dynamics PD-9200 series converter/battery charger GET ONE. These are the most sophisticated, battery friendly, RV charger/converters I know of. I know of what I speak having maintained many types of battery backed-up medical devices in my working career. The BEST of these medical charging systems had a three state charging system. The PD-9200 series has a three state charging system PLUS a daily 15 minute battery desulphation cycle for long battery life. Some of my batteries are 8 years old now, and working fine. See: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/

Yes, they are more expensive than the other brands, but they REALLY do the job. See: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Progress...nWdwxMCBihW1Y5Y7Xokm5Bcntkt1TPqRoCgUEQAvD_BwE

Schultz14

pegmikef
Sorry for the slow update. After reconnecting the battery and letting it charge overnight the slides are back to working at normal speed. Thanks for the help! I slept better last night because of you : )

Gary
The maintenance guy at our local RV dealer/repair shop recommend disconnecting the battery when we're parked at home and not using the trailer.

wdk450/pegmikef
Thanks for the battery charger information. I'll look into it. I also have a 6 volt jeep and a corvette that I'd like to put on a tender when we're out with the 5th wheel.

Thanks for taking the time to help guys!
Augie

Gary521

Like people have suggested here, check your convertor. You may already have the Progressive Dynamics version with the Charge Wizard. If you do, then your mechanic gave you the wrong info.

pegmikef

pegmikef
Sorry for the slow update. After reconnecting the battery and letting it charge overnight the slides are back to working at normal speed. Thanks for the help! I slept better last night because of you : )

Gary
The maintenance guy at our local RV dealer/repair shop recommend disconnecting the battery when we're parked at home and not using the trailer.

wdk450/pegmikef
Thanks for the battery charger information. I'll look into it. I also have a 6 volt jeep and a corvette that I'd like to put on a tender when we're out with the 5th wheel.

Thanks for taking the time to help guys!
Augie

I think the maintenance guy probably assumed that you would not be on shore power in which case it is advisable to disconnect your battery because of parasitic voltage drains. Should always be connected when always on shore power. Glad it works ok now which makes me think your converter is probably ok.

wdk450

I think the maintenance guy probably assumed that you would not be on shore power in which case it is advisable to disconnect your battery because of parasitic voltage drains. Should always be connected when always on shore power. Glad it works ok now which makes me think your converter is probably ok.

I am not sure about whether to leave your rig plugged in on shorepower and the batteries connected with the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series chargers; or to make sure the batteries are charged up and then disconnect them during storage. One side says that there is a very small fire hazard for the electricity being on and you not being present. My thought is that the daily desulphation cycle when continually plugged in should give you much longer battery life. Your call.

Also being continually plugged in gives you the option to use electric space heaters to prevent freezing, electric dehumidifiers to prevent mold/mildew. Maybe even electronic pest repellers for mice/rats. insects.

Schultz14

I'm going back to always being connected to shore power with the battery connected while parked at home. Never had a problem doing that before and it's handy to have power available if we need to go in the trailer for something. I only started disconnecting the battery because the tech told me it would be better for battery life. But the first battery lasted 5 years and I never disconnected it (for long periods of time) till I replaced it. I think that's pretty good.
Augie

Schultz14

No. He asked me if I was connected to shore power while parked at home and I told him I was. He said that I should disconnect my battery in that case because it would continually charge and lower battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

No. He asked me if I was connected to shore power while parked at home and I told him I was. He said that I should disconnect my battery in that case because it would continually charge and lower battery life.

Ask your maintenance guy if he is familiar with the Progressive Dynamics PD 9200 series with the 3 state charge wizard and daily desulphation mode. I wonder if he knows about battery sulphation and daily desulphation charge modes.

pegmikef

If you have the Progressive Converter with the charge wizard it will probably do just the opposite and prolong the battery life by keeping them properly charged. Do check the water periodically though, because bare cell plates is a quick way to kill a battery.