Electrical Question

kbp

We recently purchased a 2015 Bighorn3750FL . Of course everything works when hooked up to 50 amp. My question is if we use the supplied adapters what would be eliminated if we hooked up to a 30 amp service? What about a plain old 110v? Thanks for any info. I am just curious about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Kbp and welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here willing to share information.
When you say adapter I assume you are talking about the dog bone.
You will not loose anything other than the ability to use everything at one time.
Example might be that you will not be able to run two AC units and the microwave all at the same time.
You will have to keep an eye on what you are using and when.

Peace
Dave

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Welcome to the forums. Here is a youtube video that does a great job of explaining 50 vs 30 amp.

We recently purchased a 2015 Bighorn3750FL . Of course everything works when hooked up to 50 amp. My question is if we use the supplied adapters what would be eliminated if we hooked up to a 30 amp service? What about a plain old 110v? Thanks for any info. I am just curious about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigdob24

Sometimes I don't feel like getting the 50amp cord out and will use a 30 amp that I have made up.
It all works , but you have to be selective in what you run.
Usually we can run one big draw item at a time , so don't run the air when you want a cup of coffee;-)
Dan

Gary521

One more comment. 30 amp service is 110v. What you are referring to is the standard outlet which is either 20 amp or 15 amp at 110 v. Sometimes you can find an outlet like this at an RV park.

SeattleLion

The way the trailer uses the power is that all circuits are 125v only. While the 50 Amp service could supply 220/208, there are no 220 items in your Bighorn. When you attach the lower amp adapters, they just take the single pole and feed it to both sides of the 50 amp line. I use a 20amp 125v outlet at home. That has enough power for most things. In fact, I run the LR AC (15,000 BTU) with no trouble on the 20 amp circuit along with TV, lights etc.

If you do run an extension cord at home, use one with large enough conductors. I use a 100ft 10 ga. cord for mine.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Since its not the time of the year to need the air conditioner, I've hardly bothered with the 50A cord for the last month of travelling. The 30A cord is sooo much easier to wrangle, and 30A has been fine for microwave, TV, space heater, fridge and water heater.

scottyb

If you do run an extension cord at home, use one with large enough conductors. I use a 100ft 10 ga. cord for mine.

This is true. I found out the hard way that a small 16 Ga 100' extension cord can cause a 15A breaker to trip with only the fridge and converter drawing power. Combined they were probably pulling less than 15A, but due to line loss, the amperage increases. Once I ran the 50A cord all the way to the receptacle and adapted at the point, it ran it without tripping the breaker.