Electrical Shock while washing RV

fritzwell

While this thread only has 39 replies, I sure hope that a lot more members are reading this thread. Those that have responded have done a good job of explaining the seriousness of this issue.

I would like to add one more note of caution on insulated ladders. Being on an insulated ladder does not give yo u total protection, you can also put yourself in a circuit above that insulated point on a ladder, then you try to become a light bulb from the resistance of your body.
Have been in the power generation and distribution field for 35 years myself, power can and will do some really crazy and amazing things. The 48 volts that was mentioned earlier is enough to possibly reflex wise give you a nose dive of the ladder.

wdk450

Having been pretty long winded on this subject already, I none the less want to put out one mode of additional protection from hot skin shock for anyone concerned out there. There is a technique called "Redundant Grounding", which although not mandated, is not in violation of codes, either. It is connecting a secondary, good-sized conductor temporarily from your RV frame to a probable good earth ground. This acts as a back-up to the ground wire cabling and connections in your shorepower/frame grounding. Typically it is about a #10 green wire with electrical connection clips on each end. One end is connected to the grounding point near the shorepower pedestal (grounding rod, metal water pipe going into the ground, or metal pedestal box) and the other end is connected to the metal frame of your RV. With the clips on each end and sometimes unknown status of what you use as an earth ground, this is not a panacea, but rather more just a little probable backup electrical leakage protection.

szewczyk_john

• Replies: 40
  • Views: 1,136

Unfortunately we do not know how many of those are repeat visitors to each thread. Maybe a moderator can chime in as I am far from a computer expert, is there a way for the forum to know how many new individual members have read a post as opposed to how many views a post gets. As an example, I might have checked this thread 5 times before I responded with a post but I believe that I was counted as 6 views or even more as I have followed this with interest. Would we want to know how many individual members are looking at each thread of the forum? Each and every time the "and so it begins" post shows up as a new post, I read it it to see what in gods name Duane has done this time. Maybe we can change the forum to count both total views a thread gets and how many of those views are from new individual members? It might be interesting to see how many threads are followed by how many members? is it a change whose time has come? Is it possible to do? I do not have those answers, so I pose this to a moderator who has the answers, I or one would like to see this change just to see what is drawing the members' interest.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately we do not know how many of those are repeat visitors to each thread. Maybe a moderator can chime in as I am far from a computer expert, is there a way for the forum to know how many new individual members have read a post as opposed to how many views a post gets. As an example, I might have checked this thread 5 times before I responded with a post but I believe that I was counted as 6 views or even more as I have followed this with interest..
John, I just checked a thread by clicking on it. There were 16 views when I first clicked on it.
I logged off the forum then back on and checked the view count, 17. I did this 6 more times and the view count stayed at 17.
So my conclusion is that each time you go back to a thread it does not add to the view count.

Peace
Dave

szewczyk_john

John, I just checked a thread by clicking on it. There were 16 views when I first clicked on it.
I logged off the forum then back on and checked the view count, 17. I did this 6 more times and the view count stayed at 17.
So my conclusion is that each time you go back to a thread it does not add to the view count.

Peace
Dave

Good to know thanks.

weekender01

Update:

We have been camping since Friday and checked with a meter. Measured less than1 volt AC and no DC current detected. As of now I have no explanation other than possibly checking everything fixed the issue.

wdk450

I recently had my tools stolen out of my truck, including my digital volt-ohmmeter (DVM). I decided to replace the standard meter box type with a pen type DVM. I didn't notice it when I ordered it, but the DVM includes a non-contact voltage indicator function, all for a reasonable price. The non-contact function seemed to work pretty well when it was brought within 4 inches of an energized appliance cord.
Here"s the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aimometer-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

MikeR

Update:

We have been camping since Friday and checked with a meter. Measured less than1 volt AC and no DC current detected. As of now I have no explanation other than possibly checking everything fixed the issue.

Are you using an electrical adapter now, when connecred to the electrical panel? I once had a hot skin condition on a previously owned travel trailer. The culprit was a Chinese manufactured 30 - 15 adapter. I believe i read in a previous post that you were using an adapter at home.