Engine Brake for the 6.7 Cummins

rtate

I have the 2014 Ram with the 6.7, aisin \trans and 4-10 rears, I must say the engine/exshaust brake works well, I recently travelled through the Kicking Horse Pass and Rogers Pass (Canadian Rockies)with my "wife loaded" CY3800 (estimated 17K lbs) and used my brakes very little. Not that i tried but i probably could have stopped mid hill by toggling the gears down with the Full exshaust brake applied.

I do have 1 question with regards to the exshaust brake though, I have 2 selections, either Full exshuast or atuomatic...What is the difference?

Tom

When mine is set on automatic it seems to sense how hard you are braking and it applies the exhaust brake perportionaly. The harder you brake the more exhaust brake it applies. Seems to work really well. When not set on automatic it seems to work when ever you release the accelerator.

1_oldgoat

rtate, you are correct sir, auto works just like the older trucks did in tow mode, only kicks open the waste gate on the turbo when brake is applies in auto mode, full time opens whenever throttle is let off of or brakes is applied, great system while towing.

eddienM

I am a over the roaqd truck driver My big rig has exshoust breaks. hard to explan, Auto is were when you apply your foot break. or when your RPMs get to high it kicks on automat. full exshuast is you take your foot off the accallrator they come on. and never never have the exshuast breaks on when roads a wet,icy.or snow covered. it can lock up the rear and u may spin ou or jack knife. just like a big rig

GregP

This may be slightly off topic, but our tow vehicle (Ram2500 HD 6.7 CTD SRW) has the factory exhaust brake. We towed all over Western Canada, BC, Yukon, Alaska and Western States and absolutely LOVED the exhaust brake. I used both modes, Auto and Full, but liked using the auto with the cruise as it maintained speeds well both uphill and down. I was wondering if there is any negative effect from prolonged use of the exhaust brake; to the exhaust system or the engine? I use it when not hauling in cold conditions to speed the warm-up, but don't know if I am doing any harm to the truck by using it regularly when there is no load or light load only.

GWRam

Unless I read our manual wrong. Ram wants you to use one of the exhaust brakes modes all the time unless road conditions (slippery/wet) warrant turning it off for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Unless I read our manual wrong. Ram wants you to use one of the exhaust brakes modes all the time unless road conditions (slippery/wet) warrant turning it off for safety.

I'm not reading the manual that way. I've attached the pages from the 2014 manual.

Attachments

• Exhaust Brake.pdf
    63.7 KB · Views: 58

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I'm not reading the manual that way. I've attached the pages from the 2014 manual.

The exhaust brake primary function is to allow you to control your speed when towing heavy trailers down any grade that would require heavy breaking. It is not needed by the truck if it is not towing. Actually the cruise control with the Aisin transmission will not let you run faster than the speed you set and that is without the exhaust brake. We live near a fairly steep grade that is between Santa Fe and Albuquerque (La Bajada) and if I set the cruise control at 60 going down the hill the truck, without trailer will not go any faster than 60 no matter how steep the grade. When towing the Landmark you have to engage the exhaust brake for the weight of the trailer is to much for the truck going downhill but with the exhaust brake on and using the cruise control the truck and trailer have no problem maintaining the set speed.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I leave my EB on every minute I am in the truck, no effects on wet roads as far as handling, however the cruise control is turned off on wet roads...

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I leave my EB on every minute I am in the truck, no effects on wet roads as far as handling, however the cruise control is turned off on wet roads...

X2. Half of our driving here in Colo Springs is downhill and the EB saves wear and tear on the brakes even without the trailer behind.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I leave it on all the time. Mainly because I have read on a lot of the cummins forums that it will help against soot build up in turbo/EGR. The exhaust break is awesome!!

SeattleLion

I am with you on that. Ford has a sorry system for an exhaust brake.

Though any of the GM D-Max guys can add a Fleece Exhaust brake controller to their non-exhaust brake equipped trucks to turn their VGT turbo into a exhaust brake. I believe it will work on all of them to year one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Our Ford exhaust brake works very well. We drive extensively in the mountains and the integration of the exhaust brake and transmission is great.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
And if I remember correctly it is not a true exhaust break but reprogrammed transmission and variable vane turbos or am I all wrong. I do know the 2015 ford has a single larger turbo now that is supposed to help with this.

branson4020

Icantre Member
If by "true" exhaust brake you mean a butterfly valve in exhaust manifold, then you are correct, but the modern systems using the turbo are in all ways superior.

Bohemian

And if I remember correctly it is not a true exhaust break but reprogrammed transmission and variable vane turbos or am I all wrong. I do know the 2015 ford has a single larger turbo now that is supposed to help with this.

Yes, the twin turbo exhaust brake was useless. Thus, the upgrade to the big single turbo.

jnbhobe

I don't know either but I will tomorrow when I pick up my new one.

SeattleLion

Mattpopp's post was from aug of 13 before they put the new EB on the Ford.

Our's is the 2014 with the two stage turbo. As I recall, the diesel guide claimed it was an exhaust brake. I don't know, but we were really happy with how well it worked even on steep grades.

Jim.Allison

That is an important distinction because there are prohibitions against jake brake (Jacobs Brake) and other engine brakes, highway signs that prohibit engine brakes does not apply to exhaust braking. I called it a turbo brake because I could not remember the term, lol. Just where is my medication anyway?