Engine Brake for the 6.7 Cummins

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I must of been living under a rock as I had no idea that PAC Brake came out with this. Though you have to maintain the stock VGT this is really a trick piece of kit.

The Loadleash P67 for +07 Dodge. Makes me wanna sell my Ford as I already miss my old Dodge enough. This doesn't help at all.

http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?page=p67-loadleash

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376848665.169610.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376848678.824693.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
My oem exhaust brake works great as well. With the brake turned on and in tow mode it is awesome and you can manually (electronically) shift to lower gear if necessary. What is the advantage to PAC?

Bobby A

My oem exhaust brake works great as well. With the brake turned on and in tow mode it is awesome and you can manually (electronically) shift to lower gear if necessary. What is the advantage to PAC?

Ditto that, I love my exhaust brake on my Dodge, going through the mountains and getting the wif of over heated breaks makes me smile knowing its not my tow vehicle.

olcoon

Yep, love it on our Ram also. There are many times going down a mountain I'll have to speed up a little because I'm going too slow!!!

jimtoo

Yep, love it on our Ram also. There are many times going down a mountain I'll have to speed up a little because I'm going too slow!!!

You sure your not just thinking that because your brain is running slow?? :) Of course it could be because of what your driving IS just slow moving,, even down hill towing that Elk Ridge. :p
is
unknown person sent this :)
no signature
guess who
♥Hugs♥for Sally

olcoon

My brain may be running slow, but I have to drag a battleship anchor to keep that Ram from running over GM's & Fords, uphill. Going from Gillette to Cody last year through the Big Horns, Jay & I had to push the caravan of Ford & Chevy's up the mountains, or we would have never made it! :cool:
I'll give Sally 2 hugs! Give the Queen of your house one for us!

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The advantage is added braking power from the compression release working in conjunction with the VGT. I was never impressed with the braking power from just the VGT alone on a Dodge. Though it works much better then the Fords worthless system. But I suppose for some it works well enough not to address it.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I sure do wish PAC or BD would get on the ball and get the Ford's a real exhaust brake. Or at least Banks with their computer controlled "Banks Brake".

"Chicken or Egg" Whether you like Banks or not, they had the turbo brake on the aftermarket a couple years before Dodge or GM added it to the base diesel configuration.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I am with you on that. Ford has a sorry system for an exhaust brake.

Though any of the GM D-Max guys can add a Fleece Exhaust brake controller to their non-exhaust brake equipped trucks to turn their VGT turbo into a exhaust brake. I believe it will work on all of them to year one.

1_oldgoat

I just traded my '07 Ram 3500 srw laramie with the 6.7 for a new leftover 2013 Ram 3500 drw, only reason i went with the dually was price, leftover 13's were less than new 14's by 16k, even less than a few used 2013's i came across. Both are Mega Cabs, need the costco back seat for the dog!!
My 07 had factory exhaust brake as does the new truck and they are amazing, mine worked incredible on the old truck so i don't forsee any problems with the new truck although it does have a couple of setting for it instead of on or off. My question, the '13 has an integrated brake controller built into the center cluster on the dash, the book says i can toggle through 4 different settings, light or heavy electric brakes or light heavy electric over hydraulic, however i can only get light duty tow to come up on screen for some reason, anyone else out there have similar problems or any problems with the factory controler?? I had a Teknosha on the '07 and never had trouble. Not sure on this factory unit as i haven't towed yet.
Any help will be appreciated
Marcus

TacoTom

I have the 2014 Ram with the 6.7, aisin \trans and 4-10 rears, I must say the engine/exshaust brake works well, I recently travelled through the Kicking Horse Pass and Rogers Pass (Canadian Rockies)with my "wife loaded" CY3800 (estimated 17K lbs) and used my brakes very little. Not that i tried but i probably could have stopped mid hill by toggling the gears down with the Full exshaust brake applied.

I do have 1 question with regards to the exshaust brake though, I have 2 selections, either Full exshuast or atuomatic...What is the difference?

Tom

1_oldgoat

Tom,
My new 3500 sounds the same, it a heavy duty with asain trans as well but it has the 3.73 rear gears so a little less rpm at speed than your 4.10's, i didn't have much choice because there were only a few 2013's left and they were to good of a deal to pass on. I noticed the dual settings on the exhaust brake, if you push it on once it full time, push it two times and its auto, my '07 in tow mode would kick the exhaust brake on if i was going downhill and used the truck brakes so i am guessing thats what the auto mode will do but since i haven't towed yet can't say for sure.
Do you have the integrated brake controler and if so, can you get the system to cycle through the 4 modes it is supposed to have?? I can only get mine to show light duty tow, electric brakes, the book says use arrows to toggle up or down but when i do, it only shows the light duty then goes to a trip counter.....i am not very good with electronics so i may not be using the arrows corectly but no matter which i use i only show the light duty, i can increase or decrease gain so doing something right, does the rv need to be plugged in for the controler to show other modes??
Any help will be appreciated
Marcus

TacoTom

Hey Marcus

To be honest I know my truck has a integrated brake controller, and it senses when I have a trailer connected, it also is plug and go.

So I did just that, plugged it in, and drove..lol... it worked fine.

I can also monitor the percentage of braking applied to the trailer on the truck's computer screen, it is really an intelligent system, as the harder you press the brakes the higher the braking percentage shows going to the trailer.
In addition you can still override it manually as well.
I should not say this, but I am still learning about all the technical features with this truck, so far Very Impressed!

Tom

1_oldgoat

Tom, thats funny! I know i have a seperate book just for tech stuff as well, i have just started playing with some of the systems. The brake controller i can bring up on the spedo screen as well but i can only get light duty electric brake to show up, it should be able to show light duty, heavy duty electric brakes and both again with electric.over hydraulic on screen. After stoping by our local dealership today i think i am on my own in trying to figure out all the systems as no one there could tell me anything either. I was told its a smart system.and not to worry about it as long as it works.....i would like to know what is considered light tow and heavy tow for trailer weight and number of axles for each but the book dosn't show any specs.
Guess i'll hook up and make sure i can stop with the new fw and controler on light duty!
Thanks for the info, good luck and safe travels
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Well, for all new Dodge owners, i figured out i need to use the radio screen and spedometer screen for the brake controller, i can set the controller up for 4 different trailers on the radio lcd touch screen and save settings, but i still can't figure out how to get the spedometer screen to toggle through any brake control setting other than light duty electric brakes, getting a little frustrated, may go back to a teknosha controler and unplug the factory integrated system if i can't get the SOB to work......
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Got it, took long enough, to set up the integrated brake controler on new Dodge heavy dutys, use the lcd touch screen on the radio, choose brake controler, pick a trailer for setup, there are settings for up to four trailers, once you chose a trailer the next step will ask what you want for trailer brakes, heavy duty electric brakes, light duty electric brakes and the same choices except for electric over hydraulic, after you choose what you want for a set up, hit save settings, when you check the spedometer screen it will show what the controler is set on, the book shows using the spedo screen for setting up the controler, that is not correct as it will only show what you have set up on the radio screen, thats where i got frustrated because i could only get light duty electric brakes to show up, once i set up trailer one on the radio for heavy tow electric brakes and saved it, now that shows on the spedo......what a pain, i am not very patient with electronics and when instructions are wrong that dosn't help!!
Tom i would check and see what you have your settings on just out of curiosity, thats easy with the spedometer screen, if its light tow i would swit h to heavy. I plan on setting up #1 and #2 on the radio screen, light and heavy and towing with both to see if it makes any difference
Marcus

TacoTom

Thanks Marcus!! I copied and pasted your instructions to a word document and printed them. It was no wonder I had a hard time doing it from the instrument screen. When I get back to the RV Resort I will check it out.
Tom

Got it, took long enough, to set up the integrated brake controler on new Dodge heavy dutys, use the lcd touch screen on the radio, choose brake controler, pick a trailer for setup, there are settings for up to four trailers, once you chose a trailer the next step will ask what you want for trailer brakes, heavy duty electric brakes, light duty electric brakes and the same choices except for electric over hydraulic, after you choose what you want for a set up, hit save settings, when you check the spedometer screen it will show what the controler is set on, the book shows using the spedo screen for setting up the controler, that is not correct as it will only show what you have set up on the radio screen, thats where i got frustrated because i could only get light duty electric brakes to show up, once i set up trailer one on the radio for heavy tow electric brakes and saved it, now that shows on the spedo......what a pain, i am not very patient with electronics and when instructions are wrong that dosn't help!!
Tom i would check and see what you have your settings on just out of curiosity, thats easy with the spedometer screen, if its light tow i would swit h to heavy. I plan on setting up #1 and #2 on the radio screen, light and heavy and towing with both to see if it makes any difference
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Tom, no worries, took me a while to figure out! My book is wrong as it shows everything is done from spedometer screen as well. What a pain!! I will be curious to see if it actualy makes a difference from light and heavy tow.
Marcus