Entry door glass replacement

SugarBaby

Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever replaced the privacy type glass window in their 5th Wheel entry door with a clear glass window? We have a 2011 Suncance 2900MK and we would really like to look outside from the door window without always having to open the door completely for a clear view.

I watched a video of a guy that sells a window glass kits install his product in a motorhome but the glass is black colored which makes me uncertain on his product. Is it clear when looking through it from inside?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Camping! :rolleyes:
Sue

Last edited:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have changed the glass on the entry door on our Bighorn and liked it so much that we changed it on our Landmark Key West after we bought it. We bought a piece of grey smoked tempered glass cut to size from a local glass company. The glass was cheap (about $30) and the door glass is easy to take out and replace.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever replaced the privacy type glass in their 5th Wheel entry door with clear glass? We have a 2011 Suncance 2900MK and we would really like to be able to look outside from the door without always having to open it. There are only two other clear glass windows on that side, one in the bedroom and one small one the rear of trailer behind a slide-out.

I watched a video of a guy that sells a window glass kits install his product in a motorhome but the glass is black colored which makes me uncertain on his product.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Camping! :rolleyes:
Sue
We've replaced the glass in our door several times. Carol bought a stain-glass window while at the National Rally in Goshen several years ago. We put it in our old Landmark, then put the original glass back in when we traded that camper and finally put the stain-glass window in our current camper. It's not very hard to replace. Just remove the several screws from the inside panel, carefully remove the old glass, clean out all the old caulk the put the new glass in making sure you use a good rope caulk to wrap completely around the window. I bought my rope caulk at Ace Hardware.

Dean-Pam

x2 on what Keith said. We bought a stained glass at the national rally, very easy to replace and dressed up the door. Pam was very happy, she could now look out to see who was outside without having to open the door.

jnbhobe

We have 3 stained glass windows for the door and Patti has me change them too often. We also put clear plexiglass covers on our screen door so we can leave the main door open most of the time.

We installed an EDWIN entry door window replacement by Attwood. It has privacy glass plus a slider for ventilation. Easy installation and looks good.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have replaced the entry door glass on our last 3 campers. Our current one looks like this.
20150815_123328 - Copy (2).jpg
Before it looked liked this
arriving home 4-22-14.jpg

mlburst1

Another option that we prefer was to install Lexan panels in the screen door - we always leave the door open during the day and the "storm" door lets in lots of light and it's easy to see outside.

'Lil Guy'

Did you remove the screens or go over the screens with the Lexan? DW wants the Lexan so she can leave the main door open during the day.

Westwind

I've made the Lexan for the screen doors on our TT and our current Bighorn FW, my wife loves having the door open while the furnace or AC is running since it lets in so much light, don't know why RV manufacturer's haven't caught on to this. In both trailers I left the screen in but she finally convienced me the year to remove it so she could clean both sides without me taking it off the door. Since we never removed it to let in air it made sense.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The screen door has grooves on the sides of the screen area and the top. We had Lowes cut the plexiglass to the dimensions of the screen area and then we had to cut the arc for the top section (Lowes wont cut the arcs). Then we just popped it in the grooves and put a small screw on the bottom to keep it in place. Some folks velcos the glass in but we wanted a little better finish look. Next we took the door to the local auto window tinting place and had it tinted. Walaaaa
screen door tinted 6-'15.jpg

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Does anyone know the dimensions of the door glass? I have an idea for ours but I need a blank replacement piece to do it.

mlburst1

Did you remove the screens or go over the screens with the Lexan? DW wants the Lexan so she can leave the main door open during the day.

I left the screen in - Lexan on the inside - it's six years later and it's a pain to remove the panels to clean the screen side - one of these days I'll redo the door and remove the screens...