EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: TN, Townsend - 8/5/2011 to 8/7/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Ok, I am now ready to get on the road. Just had the XPS ribs put on and look forward to not worrying about tires on long trips. Big bite on the wallet but I figure it's an investment toward safe travel. Only one little problem with a lug nut that was apparently stripped from the factory. Cost me replacing a stud and Heartland is sending me a new matching lug nut (thanks Terry). We plan on continuing to Savannah Ga from the TN rally and spending a week on the road. Can't wait to get started!
Bobby

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
superduty08 - know about hitting the hip pocket for tires. We had just put on a set on the 08 Big Country before trading it.
Can't wait to see ya'll in a couple of weeks. Travel safely.

superduty08

That had to hurt. Can you get longer poles for your shed or maybe some type of coupler to extend them? I have thought about putting up one of those to help keep the sun off the 5er when set up at our farm.

Nabo

We got to get a builder of these type of sheds out to see if extender will work. The problem is that there's a 10 X 20 workshop that attached to the back of the shed that will have to be cut off and the roof sealed before the shed can be lifted. Hum????

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Don't play golf but there is a great trout stream right at the front door. counting the days.

Nabo

Lee - we were at Big Meadows during the 4th and folks were catching some pretty big trouts. Anyone who likes to fish, don't forget your fishing rods and license.

Nabo

3 more weeks till Tennessee's first Heartland Rally :) !! Can't wait but I need some help - I'm not a coffee drinker and Nathan only has a 2 cup maker - so does someone else have a couple of coffee makers? I know there are some early risers who like coffee and the pavilion has a pretty good kitchen area - sooo if one or two of ya'll could bring your makers, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
B--

Nabo

Can't believe Tennessee First HL Rally is just 2 weeks away. Other than it being very warm, I can't wait.

Travel/Traffic info:
**For those traveling north on I -75 from Chattanooga, be prepared for construction between MM 73-75 over the TN River. At times backup has been up to 6 miles.
**For those traveling south on I-75 from KY, just a couple of small bridge works areas and as of last month no major backups.
**For the VA/NC folks coming down I-81 to I-40, there was some paving finishing up just south of the Tri-City area. Hopefully that's done by now.
**For the SC/NC folks coming up I-26 to I-40, I don't remember or saw anything on the state's website of any major construction going on.
**It's clear sailing for those coming from the west down I-40 to state Hwy 321 - whoopee.

Everyone coming from the east, please follow the direction from Big Meadows Family Campground website or stay on I-40 into downtown Knoxville, taking the Alcoa/Airport exit. Do not take exit 407 to Pigeon Forge!! Eventho this is the shortest distance, the state is widening Hwy 66 and it's way too narrow for campers. Plus Hwy 321 from Pigeon Forge toward Townsend has a couple of really bad switchback curves that I've seen dumptrucks and campers wreck on.

Travel safely. ;)

GETnBYE

. Do not take exit 407 to Pigeon Forge!! Eventho this is the shortest distance, the state is widening Hwy 66 and it's way too narrow for campers.
Travel safely. ;)

Could you share where you got this info? We are planning a Sept. trip and need to be able to check this road to see if we can get thru there. Thanks

mountain1

Sandy and I had hoped to make this one. My father just passed and we will b e heading to Illinois. Hope to see everyone in Charleston in the fall.

Nabo

GetnBye - I sent you a private message.

mountain1 - sorry to hear about your loss and understand that things are not going to work out this year. We will keep ya'll in our thoughts and prayers. We are definately going to try to make SC.

jpajax

It looks like I will have to pass on this rally. Do to the passing of my mother in law ( second mom and a very dear friend ) and a accident involving my truck and camper on the way back from hospital on the day after her death. It looks like I will out of a camper and truck for more than a month at least. There was no PI in the accident. Her hospital stay lasted for 41 days so that was the reason I missed the HL rally in Goshen.

Nabo

So sorry to hear of your loss. We will keep your family in our prayers.

My goodness what an ordeal with the truck and camper and glad that both of ya'll were not hurt. I know it's frustrating trying to get things fixed but hope that ya'll be back into the camper soon.

superduty08

I've made that trip on 321 several times and it has turns and hills that I would not want to pull a large trailer up or down. When we leave Townsend I plan on going back to I-40 to head east toward Savannah Ga. The shortest mileage is using 321. Any travel through Pidgeon Forge,Sevierville or Gatlinburg is a nightmare with stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic during the busy season. Keep to to interstate and save your sanity.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
The road leaving Townsend 321 is very narrow the first 5 miles then there are 2 switchbacks back to back, the rest of the trip is not bad except on the weekends it is used by a lot of people avoiding the park route. It is 18 miles from Townsend to Pigeon Forge that way. We are coming up 411 from Cleveland to Maryville, then 321 to Townsend. The road that way has really been improved the last couple of years, and The small towns don't bother us. We are looking forward to this rally, then we go to the Georgia Samboree in Sept. and the Tennessee Samboree in Oct. Then to Texas for the winter after visiting with a few family members. See you in a little while.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Nathan loves Cheerwine and for some reason, they have gone away from the usual shopping places. I found a case in SC and brought it home the other day. Cool insert. Thanks Jim.
Don't worry guys.We can find Cheerwine(the soft drink)everywhere in Taylorsville.We will bring some with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.