EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: TN, Townsend - 8/5/2011 to 8/7/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

convert

Reginald Hromek
Just want to be sure we are on the Cades Cove tour. Didn,t see our names on the list. Signed up on June 1. Don't want to miss it, haven't been keeping up with the posts, blew up the computer.

Whats the best way to get to the Campground coming from WI? Good Sam has coming from I-140 to US129 to RT35 to US321. Will we hit those dreaded switchbacks this way??

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Update on the Cades Cove tour responses. This is who we have down:

Jim/Nancy Beletti, Lee/Linda McClure, Eric/Hallie Grubaugh, Jim/Harriet Dahlgren, Marv/Karen Osborne, Eric/Dorothy VanOpstal, Dick/Reta Hill, Bobby/Linda Eanes, Terry/Renee Deal, Lance/Kem Duguay, Ed/Barbara Rauch and Reg/Nancy Hromek. WOW - what a great group.

If anyone else wants to join in, please let us know.

We can't wait to see everyone.

Nabo

Can't believe the rally just around the corner - whoopee! Everyone drive safely!

Reg - Update on the directions. When you are coming down I-75 southbound toward Knoxville, you will go onto I-275 southbound toward Knoxville. Take I-40 westbound (right) to the 2nd exit. The road signs will say "Airport/Smokey Mountains". Be careful in that the 1st and 2nd exits run right together so it will be real e-z to make the mistake of getting off on the 1st exit by accident.

Weather update - warm and possibility of rain.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Nathan, Byrd and of course BamBam we just want to wish you good luck with your rally! Have fun, travel safe and keep us posted on your activities! Sounds like a great time!

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Warm & possibility of rain? Sounds great as it is very hot and dry on this end of the 3 states of Tn.

Bobby

Jim & Harriet

Hot and dry EVERYWHERE - looking forward to a shaded spot and a fun rally next week!
Just want to make sure that the Directions Update (#144 post) does not change our drive
from South West Virginia (on I-81 south to I-40 west) that you posted previously.
Thanks for all your work and planning!

Nabo

As far as I know, you should be ok. I'm on my way to Nashville & the interstate is ok. Just those from the south coming up I75 still hbas the one lane over the TN River.

Paul_W

We spent last week in that area and it is beautiful. You all will love it. I do have a word of caution for those of you who are considering approaching from the east on 321 or 73. DON'T!!! Either one of those roads are very narrow in places from that direction with wooded and rocky jut outs waiting to reach out and touch most fifth wheels of any height. I should know. I'm sitting here looking at a $3800 estimate for roof damage caused by one of those areas. Come in from Maryville to the west and you'll be fine but don't stray far past your campground while towing. Have fun and enjoy the cool river tubing!

Jim & Harriet

Paul - so sorry to hear about your road damage issues. Hope the repairs go well and you are
back on the road soon.

Nathan - just because I am easily confused, could you please review
the best plan once we get on I-40 headed west from I-81?
Everyone coming from the east ... I-40 into downtown Knoxville, taking the Alcoa/Airport exit.
- is this the 389 exit that the CG mentions (below?) looks like there is no way to avoid rt. 321

I-40 West from Asheville, NC or Bristol, TN
[SIZE=-2]Exit #398 Strawberry Plains Pike - LEFT 3 Miles Left at light onto Gov. John Sevier (#168) 12 Miles Left onto Alcoa Hwy (#129)
Pass Knoxville Airport bear to left Dead ends into US #321 North 18 miles to Townsend Left in Townsend at only traffic light on to US #321 or Wears Valley Road
1000' cross bridge - Immediate - Left at end of bridge
Campground 200' on Right

I am usually the one watching for signs and I don't want to miss the turns :)
thanks for your help - again,
Harriet

[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Nabo

Jim - it's your choice on whether to go into Knoxville, taking Alcoa Hwy or getting off at the Strawberry Plains exit. We like to stay on the interstate as long as possible so we would stay on the interstate into Knoxville, getting off at exit 387 which is the Alcoa Hwy (hwy 129). The exit sign will read "Airport/Smokey Mountains".

If you don't mind driving 2 lane roads, then the route that the campground directions give you will also take you to hwy 129 (Alcoa Hwy), coming in just above the airport.

Either way - you will end up on Hwy 129 (Alcoa Hwy) which you will follow past the airport and bear left toward downtown Maryville, which turns into Hwy 321. From downtown Maryville, Townsend is about 18 miles. It's a four lane except for about 5 miles which is a cut-thru the mountains into Townsend. The 5 miles is a 2 lane, fairly flat road but some curves. It follows the river bed thru the mountains.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me (865-776-0891) or Byrd (865-776-1060).

Nabo

One quick note about getting to the campground when you get in Townsend. When you turn left at the only stoplight, staying on Hwy 321, you will go approx. 1000' and cross a bridge over the river(more like a creek right now). It's a little narrow so be careful. At the end of the bridge, you will turn left right beside River Rat tube rental place. The campground is about 200' on the right (river is on your left).

Nabo

WOW! and Whoopee!!!! Just talked with the Johnson's who own Big Meadows CG and they are going to provide the potatoe salad and a couple of pecan pies for Saturday night's potluck dinner. Looks like just small side dishes will be needed now.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Would anyone like some "Home Made orange pineapple Ice cream for dessert on Saturday night?

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Would anyone like some "Home Made orange pineapple Ice cream for dessert on Saturday night?

Hmmmmmmm, does a bear poop in the wood?.......is the Pope Catholic?.......does MacDonalds have arches????

OF COURSE WE WANT ICE CREAM!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.