EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: TX, Alpine - 3/17/2017 to 3/19/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That was us that waved! Careful if you're traveling on Hwy 285--it's a rough road. Also, if you stay in Roswell my wife says the aliens have been ground up and are in the water--lime will coat everything. It was after that experience that I purchased a water softener. See you at the rally.

Ha!! I thought I saw an HOC plaque on the back.
Hard water in Texas, period!! We too now have a softener !!
See ya in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

You in a Landmark?? Bet we passed you westbound this morning!!! We were down at Big Bend for the past week. Making a loop up through New Mexico then back down to alpine for the rally.

Bottomless Lakes State Park is near Roswell and it is an interesting nice inexpensive park with several walk-in (can't be reserved) full hook up sites and others with electric/water.

Attachments

• 100_0762.jpg
    100_0762.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 38
  • clearwater.jpg
    clearwater.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 39

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Erika...hate to be a pain, but it now looks like we CAN make the rally....can we be added back in?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika...hate to be a pain, but it now looks like we CAN make the rally....can we be added back in?

You're not a pain! I hope you can make it! I sent you a PM. Best plan is call the RV Park Directly, they are handling the wait-list.

rxbristol

I've attached three documents on places to eat in Alpine, TX. Reata is highly recommended (see the chicken fried chicken plate and chocolate volcano cake with berry-vanilla sauce in the picture). We haven't tried the food trucks, yet, but Thai-Way won't open until April--the owners are in Thailand. The Cow Dog and The Smoking' Cuban come highly recommended by several people.

View attachment Food Trucks Alpine Tx.pdfView attachment Food Part 1 Alpine TX.pdfView attachment Food Alpine TX 2.pdf
0307171251.jpg

0307171224.jpg

TravelTiger

I've attached three documents on places to eat in Alpine, TX. Reata is highly recommended (see the chicken fried chicken plate and chocolate volcano cake with berry-vanilla sauce in the picture). We haven't tried the food trucks, yet, but Thai-Way won't open until April--the owners are in Thailand. The Cow Dog and The Smoking' Cuban come highly recommended by several people.

View attachment 50301View attachment 50302View attachment 50303
View attachment 50305

View attachment 50304

Thanks Rex!

We can vouch for the Reata, it is a high-end restaurant. We had a wonderful lunch, including dessert!

IMG_0769.jpg

We also ate at Cow Dog -- a really unique location -- it's based in an old Winebago RV, with outdoor seating nearby. They serve some pretty amazing variations on the typical hotdog!

IMG_9344.jpg

HornedToad

Look who I ran into at the ballgame...
Lil Guy!!!

fc833b51632eef8834d69af6cdea91b2.jpg

TravelTiger

Great news,

We have another sponsor of the Rally: MOPEKA Products LLC, makers of TankCheck, a propane tank monitoring system!

- - - Updated - - -

Erika, looking at your agenda-the white elephant-just where does one find "brown paper" bags these days??? Ha!!!

Lyle, I'll be happy to say, you can buy a bundle of 500 brown paper bags Sam's Club for $8.95! -- but the point was to make all of the white elephant offerings appear "nondescript" -- they don't need embellishment. Anything that conceals well what is inside, will work.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Great news,

We have another sponsor of the Rally: MOPEKA Products LLC, makers of TankCheck, a propane tank monitoring system!

- - - Updated - - -

Lyle, I'll be happy to say, you can buy a bundle of 500 brown paper bags Sam's Club for $8.95! -- but the point was to make all of the white elephant offerings appear "nondescript" -- they don't need embellishment. Anything that conceals well what is inside, will work.

Just needling a bit what with retailers using plastic bags that end up in trees and fences
Nancy has one for our use
See you next week

MCTalley

First good night of star-gazing out here in Alpine. We were looking for the Zodiacal Light phenomenon which started this evening. [LINK] You can actually see it a little better in a photograph than in person. Interesting. (Hint: it's the brighter shaft of light coming up from the horizon - this is facing west out into the Texas vastness and not towards town).

IMG_1678-XL.jpg

TravelTiger

First good night of star-gazing out here in Alpine. We were looking for the Zodiacal Light phenomenon which started this evening. [LINK] You can actually see it a little better in a photograph than in person. Interesting. (Hint: it's the brighter shaft of light coming up from the horizon - this is facing west out into the Texas vastness and not towards town).

IMG_1678-XL.jpg

This phenomenon is supposed to be visible each night for the next two weeks, so if you get a chance, check it out!

TravelTiger

Unfortunately, Pat & Elaine had to cancel. We will miss seeing them.

TravelTiger

Unfortunately Don & Gena had to cancel. We will miss seeing them.

TravelTiger

Nearly everyone is here, and we are already having a good time. There has been an impromptu hotdog cookout, a trip to the McDonald Observatory, and a Marfa Mystery Lights viewing. Others have toured Fort Davis Historic Site, Traveled through Big Bend National Park, and more. The official rally agenda begins Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.