EVENT: Heartland Regional Rally: MA, Middleboro - 7/17/2014 to 7/20/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We still have some spots to fill for our community service project. We have the following openings

3 workers needed for the 8-9am shift
3 workers needed for the 11-12 shift
1 worker for the truck unloading around 9:30am

Please let me know if and when you would be interested in helping out with this project!

Those currently scheduled and their shift can be found HERE.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
The Rally Agenda is now pretty much complete. There may be some changes to time or place so be sure to check your rally bag for the most up to date information. This has also been added to the first post of this thread for ease in future reference.

Attachments

• Rally Agenda.pdf
    284.4 KB · Views: 35

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Our final head count was confirmed with the caterer today! Sorry but there can be no changes from here on!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
NOTICE: corrected the exit number from 91 to Wilber Cross Highway (to 84 east )
Alternate Route @ Hartford.

For those of you coming to the Regional Rally in MA next week via Rt 84. there is a way to bypass down town Hartford;

East Bound Rt 84:

East of Waterbury, as you approach Exit 27/28 ( this is a long down hill ) you will take exit 27 for RT 691E

Rt 691E will bring you over to Rt 91 where you will take Rt 91N
Follow Rt 91N to Exit 29 ( Wilber Cross - RT 15 )

As you enter Rt 15 get over to the Middle lane as soon as possible as the right lane is an exit only lane -
Follow Rt 15 for 2-3 miles, crossing the bridge. this will bring you back onto Rt 84 east ( east of Hartford )

Best I can tell is this re-route adds about 3-4 miles to the trip but removes some of the worse parts ( IMHO ) or RT 84 west and a lot of frazzled nerves with the tight lanes and sharp curves in that section of 84.

Safe Travels See you Next week

Kevin

Last edited:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
In speaking with our representative from the Sacred Heart Food Pantry, I assured him we would center our donations upon their highest needs. He appreciated our thoughtfulness and requested we please consider

SOUP
CEREAL
PANCAKE MIX
SYRUP

Please keep this in mind when planning or shopping for your donations! As always thank you! :angel:

TGinn

Hi Deb, we are now arriving on Saturday, July 12th.... Decided we needed more sight seeing time & don't want to cut into our rally time visiting with everyone. Safe travels, to all.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Hi Deb, we are now arriving on Saturday, July 12th.... Decided we needed more sight seeing time & don't want to cut into our rally time visiting with everyone. Safe travels, to all.

Great! We will be there on Saturday also.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We have lots of things we want to do too!
Not sure we can get to everything in the time we have but we're going to try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Golf Outing Information

Tee Times are at 8:00 and 8:10
Continental Breakfast will be served beginning at 6:30 so you don't go off hungry
Golfers will depart camp at 7:15
Course is approximately 5 miles from camp.

There is room for one more golfer if you would like to join! Please post if you are interested.

Those already planning to play are
Mike Walker
John Miller
JR Miller
Glenn Van Wickle
Lou Dick
Jimmy Cosmo
Jim Marigliano

Last edited:

jbeletti

Looking for travel ideas from PA to MA

Hi gang,

We're leaving for the rally on Sunday morning. From TN, we'll take I-40 E to I-81 N and probably stay, night 1 at the Natural Bridge, VA KOA. Night 2, we'll probably stay at the Allentown, PA KOA.

From there, our 3rd and final day of travel, I need some ideas. Here's what it looks like out of Allentown:
I-78 to I-287 N, going around the west side of the NYC area to I-95 near Port Chester. Then run I-95 to I-495 to MA-44.

Anyone have any comments or ideas for my route from Allentown to the rally? I have never traveled this area. Here's a link to the map routing.

Allentown to Middleborough.jpg

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Re: Looking for travel ideas from PA to MA

That is exactly the way we are traveling tomorrow 287, crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge, 95, 495, 44.

How about I let you know tomorrow how I feel about that with the trailer. We have been that way with the car but never towed through there. I'll keep you posted!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

Only thing I can add from here is to time your travel on 287 so it does not include rush hour. Commuter traffic is a beast up there!

porthole

Retired

Taking 95 will test everything your are familiar with. Your truck, your trailer, your air horn, your patience etc. Your route takes you on some of the worse condition, most congested roads on the east coast. When there are problems on the primary roads in and around NYC (and the 5 boros) the spillover can be extensive.

If I was already on 81, I would stay on it right up to 84 and take 84 out. Follow Kevin's suggestion to bypass Hartford. I'm sure Kevin will jump in with the final route suggestions.

Are you taking the time to visit the "Natural Bridge" while you are there?

Sounds like we will be in the vicinity of you guys somewhere along the travels. Unless it changes, we are leaving wednesday morning, heading up to the same 287 you linked.
From there I don't know yet. Morning radio traffic reports could dictate where we go.

But, tentative is local roads to NY 287 to crossover at Tarrytown to 684 up to 84

The bridge you have over the Hudson should not be an issue - but, one accident and you have 5-10 mile delays.

Avoid the George Washington Bridge if you can.

Secondary choice for us it to take NY 87 north to 84, then crossover.

Here is a Port Authority link for NY-NY bridges and tunnels
http://www.paalerts.com/recent_bttalerts.aspx

If you stay on 81 to 84, as you approach I87 (last thruway before the Hudson), look to your left and you will see Orange County Choppers. Although I wouldn't wast my time with a visit.

NOTE: stay off any roadway named "parkway" in any of the north east states once you leave PA and NJ. Most do not allow trucks, some don't allow trailers and all have low bridges.

At least there are no tolls in Connecticut. A 7 person fatal accident in the mid 80's virtually eliminated tolls overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.