EVENT: Heartland Regional Rally: MA, Middleboro - 7/17/2014 to 7/20/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdb2047

Re: Looking for travel ideas from PA to MA

X2 what Duane says abut 81 to 84. We are leaving Sun heading that way. A little longer not so busy

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

Kevin is traveling today so he may not respond until he arrives at his destination.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Although 81 to 84 would be the preferred route IMO as well, keep in mind that this is PA's heavy construction season. There is always something going on in the Wyoming valley that slows traffic to a crawl on 81. Also this year DOT started a major reconstruction project on 84. According to www.511pa.com that is mostly on the eastern end close to NY border. Check out the website and cameras and allow some extra travel time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Good stuff Kevin, Debbie and Duane. Using Duane's idea of staying longer on I-81 an take it to I-84 will also help me get farther on day 2 and find a campground, whereas I was having trouble finding something suitable past Allentown.

New plan
Sunday: Crossville, TN to Staunton / Walnut Hills, VA KOA (397 mi / 8 h) - I-40 to I-81

Monday: Staunton / Walnut Hills, VA to Montague Township, NJ Rockview Valley Campground (372 mi / 8 h) - I-81 to I-84

Tuesday: Montague Township, NJ to Middleborough, MA KOA (253 mi / 5 h) - I-84 to Hartford area, then follow Kevin's route (I-84 to I-691 to 5/15 Wilbur-Cross to I-84)

Google Map Link to our planned route.

Route overview image:
Route Overview.jpg

jnbhobe

Now thats more the way I was thinking, but I knew there were people with more recent experience in that area than me.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I traveled that corridor many many times from the mid 90's until the early 00's as well as into NJ on 78 and 80. Also required to travel to LI but that ended quick! I much prefer 84 to NE to avoid large city traffic and the 95 corridor. Our local channels are from the W/B Scranton market so we hear daily of the traffic conditions there. Safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
95 has to be the Worse road in the north east. I ONLY take that road if I am going to Long Island and that is only to get to the ferry and never towing. I am a patient man but not on 95. As Duane said if you are already on rt 81 stay on and take 84 follow the Hartford bypass directions then take rt 90 east to rt 495 south.

We've driven the 287, 684, 84, 90(Mass Pike), 495 route from NJ to MA many times (our kids live just off of 495) and on weekends, there are generally no issues. We also avoid route 95 at all costs. It's shorter but the stress and aggravation are worth the extra miles.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Just settling in on our first official night in our new trailer. 6 hours of good old Pennsylvania interstates and we are ready for food and sleep. Sitting at a small campground right off of 84 near the PA, NY, NJ borders. Hopefully in Middleboro tomorrow around 2-3.

ad1ama.jpg

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looking good Jamie. We spent the afternoon scouting locations for future rallies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired

Just settling in on our first official night in our new trailer. 6 hours of good old Pennsylvania interstates and we are ready for food and sleep. Sitting at a small campground right off of 84 near the PA, NY, NJ borders. Hopefully in Middleboro tomorrow around 2-3.

ad1ama.jpg

You were only 1/2 hour away from our campground. Looking good can't wait to see it next week. Safe travels see you next week

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Which CG Jamie?
Tri-state RV park, exit 53 on rt 84. Last exit in PA. Camped in PA, drove thru New York to get good and fuel in New Jersey. All of this in three miles. Ground is only good for one thing, a quick overnight stay.

porthole

Retired

Great motorcycling area. Most of the campgrounds in that area cater to the rafters.

recumbent615

Anyone following my recommended route around Hartford, please note that there as an error (since corrected) the exit number to exit from 91 to 15 (Wilber Cross Highway ) to get back to rt 84 is actually #29 not 28 as originally listed

porthole

Retired
Basecamp (Garmin software) actually used your route deviation Kevin when planning the trip. See all y'all tomorrow.

recumbent615

I think more and more GPSs are routing that way several people have told me that now. My gps does as well but mine is a learning gps so it I ignore it on the same route it will automatically start routing that new route as the default ( like going around-about way to pass the fuel stop before getting on the highway)

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I hope what we have today dissipates before it hits Mass. We have had about a years worth of heavy rain today.
Raining so much and so hard we can't get the trailer loaded !

recumbent615

It's just starting now but central and northern ma got hammered today with flooding rains and we are looking at the same here for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.