Ever been locked IN?!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32524-Ever-been-locked-IN!-!?highlight=lock

This thread from a year ago was closed, but basically DH had left early and locked the RV from the outside. Later, when I went to open the door, I could not disengage the deadbolt. A neighbor was able to unlock the door for me from the outside.

Today, I read this on RVPRO... I'm sure we'll be hearing more soon:

[h=1]Fastec Recalls Nearly 3 Million RV Door Handles[/h]

picture-1883.png

By: RV PRO Staff
Thursday, August 8, 2013

Fastec Industrial Corp., a part of Pittsburgh, Pa.-based WESCO Distribution Inc., issued a recall for 2.86 million of its RV door handles using Travel Trailer Lock Deadbolt Cylinders sold between Jan. 1, 2006, and April 25, 2013.

The recalled handles have deadbolts that could jam, making it impossible to exit the vehicle without using the emergency exit, increasing the risk of injury.
Under normal use and operation, the keys to the lock should only be able to be removed from the cylinder in the 12 o’clock (neutral) and 3 o’clock (unlocked) positions, the company said.
If the key can be removed form the lock when it is in the 9 o’clock position and the deadbolt is engaged, then the deadbolt may jam and prevent occupants inside the RV from being able to unlock the door and exit.
In a recall notice dated July 25, Fastec said it would notify customers and instruct them on how to determine if the lock is defective, but asked OEM’s not to do so at the time.
“Please note that Fastec will provide appropriate instructions to consumers to enable them to replace the lock cylinders on their own without the involvement of a dealer or the RV manufacturer,” the company said in the recall notice.
Customers will be sent the replacement cylinders with instructions, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin Sept. 10.
Owners may contact Fastec at 1-800-837-2505, or call the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or visit http://www.safercar.gov.

ramdually4100king

Yup, this happened to me in our sob trailer. I had to remove the screws to the cover plate and use the screwdriver to physically move the deadbolt to get out. After a good cleaning and greasing we had no further problems.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
BTW we no longer use this lock, as we replaced it with the keyless version from Mobile Outfitters.

conradsteph

What is the procedure for getting out if someone were to fold in/close the assist handles over the door while occupants were still inside?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Have to check my latch later this month. The original one was replaced in early 2010, after being broken by thieves. When they couldn't force it from outside, they broke the glass and opened it from inside after ripping the screen door.

HornedToad

I couldn't get the deadbolt to lock... I guess someone slammed the garage entry door too hard and jimmied the strike plate.

So my bright idea was to lock the door by the handle from the outside before we went to bed, until I realized with the handle locked you cannot open the door from the inside. This was not safe with the daughters and friends asleep in the garage. I took off the strike plate, until I could repair, so I could use the deadbolt and leave an exit.

Kbvols

We did it to the kids one time on vacation...best day DW and I had the whole week!!! Lol..didn't purposefully lock in but it did happen. They were actually only locked in for short time.

wdk450

What is the procedure for getting out if someone were to fold in/close the assist handles over the door while occupants were still inside?

My assist handle has a large enough size and a weak enough position detent, that I would think I would be able to push the handle to the out position with force from the door.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

If the slides are out open the window, raise the screen, reach out and move the handle away from the door.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD