Extended Warranty and sealant

misty

We have a 2015 cy4000 elite on the way. We are having a difficult time deciding whether the dealer offered extended warranty and sealant packages are worthwhile. We plan on keeping this unit for a long time. The extended warranty is for 7 years with a $100 deductible. The coating/sealant has a 7 year warranty as well. The warranty is $2600. The sealant is $1400. Normally I am not a fan of products such as these, but on this big, expensive coach with so many items that can break I am second guessing myself. I would love to hear some experiences/advice/opinions. Thanks!!!!!

jimtoo

Hi misty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and most all are willing to share their knowledge.

I worked in the automobile business for a long time... I was never a fan of extended warranties sold by dealers, especially the finish sealants and such. Some of the warranties that cover the coach itself and appliances might be good.

I'm sure you will get more opinions soon.

Jim M

donr827

I would not get the sealant warranty. If you feel more comfortable with the other warranty I would negotiate with the dealer for a much better price. There is a lot of profit in these warranties. Be sure to read what the exclusions are.
Don

danemayer

We have a 2015 cy4000 elite on the way. We are having a difficult time deciding whether the dealer offered extended warranty and sealant packages are worthwhile. We plan on keeping this unit for a long time. The extended warranty is for 7 years with a $100 deductible. The coating/sealant has a 7 year warranty as well. The warranty is $2600. The sealant is $1400. Normally I am not a fan of products such as these, but on this big, expensive coach with so many items that can break I am second guessing myself. I would love to hear some experiences/advice/opinions. Thanks!!!!!
Hi Misty,

The key is usually found 1) in who stands behind the contract and 2) the details. If the extended warranty is issued and backed by the dealer, it may only be good at that dealer. What happens if you have a problem on the road? If the dealer is just selling, is it issued by a well-known company with a good rep? Look at the details on what's covered and what is not covered? There are no standards and coverage can vary a lot. For example: if you have a tire wear problem that's determined to be from an axle problem, is it covered or excluded? Will they replace the axle and tire(s)? If plumbing is covered, and there's a leak, will they repair the damage caused by the leak?

What does the $1400 for sealant cover?

Mark-Mullin

$4000.00 Is a lot of money covers cost of good tires with lots left over for small repairs after the original warranty expires, most problems occur in the first season in my experience. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

szewczyk_john

I would not purchase either but then again I do all of my own repairs and fixes. I had no issue with buying at an out of state dealer in order to save thousands on the sticker price knowing that I would be fixing most items myself. This also means that I purchased a unit that was in stack and did not get to custumize my unit with different options. I accept the fact that there will always be some items that leave the factory that will need to be addressed during the first few usages of the unit. My unit had two small water leaks that just needed to be retightened. We had one loose connection behind the entertainment wall in the satellite cables, one electrical outlet that that had not been connected properly, and one of my windows was inoperable due to a screw being placed in the wrong spot preventing the sliding window from sliding. If you can handle these items yourself then the 4k can be spent on other items like upgrading the tires. If you do not think that you can resolve items like this, then the 4k might be a wise investment for you. I also agree with the above, any major items will likely show up during the factory warranty period if you use your unit.
Good luck with your unit, and I hope that you get many enjoyable years out of it.

misty

I appreciate all the responses! We are excited and counting down the days for our trailer to get here. Growing up, my family always had a trailer, but this is first one I've bought and my husband has no experience with them except the times we've tagged along with my family. It only took me 18 years to talk him into one of our own. It is nice to have a forum full of experienced, helpful people. Thanks for all your help!

tgreening

Pull off some panels here and there and get a good look at the quality of construction, or lack thereof more accurately, and you might be more inclined to consider the extended. I bought one and it's earned it's keep. Fridge control board toasted. Transfer switch twice. Leaky hydraulics, burned out stabilizer motor, microwave flew south for the winter, yada yada. Quite a list of out of factory warranty issues. Luckily the extended warranty provider has been good to work with and hasn't balked at anything, or denied anything, and has been more than willing to work with the service center I use which is no where NEAR a dealership. My experience with dealer service centers has by no means been positive.

The most unusual thing about my unit is the poorly reviewed China Bombs have held up fine so far through 3 1/2 seasons. Front and rear axles are on their way out though and are going to need replaced soon. I'm guessing 12-15 thousand miles on them, and they get the ***** scrubbed right out of them going in and out of my drive.

Anyway, I wouldn't equate an automotive extended warranty with one designed for the rv market. Auto warranties are usually a waste, but todays autos can usually be subjected to more than a few weeks of actual use before they start to fall apart. :)

Last edited:

n2snow2

The warranty is piece of mind when I purchased our bighorn the dealer offered the warranty at cost 7 years $100 deductible and he put me on the phone with warranty people the cost was $1000 I'm sure he made something but who's to say I really like my dealer......so I'm good with that......

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DO NOT BUY the sealant package. It's $1400 for a $10 bottle of stuff that does no good. The warranty on these things are a joke. They all have weasle clauses like " stepped on by an elephant while eating a peanut butter sandwich" and never pay OR they are no longer in business. You can have someone wax your trailer twice a year for years for the $1400. Go to Wal-mart and buy cans of scotch-gard and you can spray stuff yourself.

As far as an extended warranty. Shop around. Look at Good Sam warranties and their roadside assistance plans.

I dont know how soon your CY will be built. But I would see if you can get the Goodyear G614's added before it leaves the plant. Ya dont want the towmax tires.....read all the threads on the forum about tires failures.

GOTTOYS

DO NOT BUY the sealant package. It's $1400 for a $10 bottle of stuff that does no good. The warranty on these things are a joke. They all have weasle clauses like " stepped on by an elephant while eating a peanut butter sandwich" and never pay OR they are no longer in business. You can have someone wax your trailer twice a year for years for the $1400. Go to Wal-mart and buy cans of scotch-gard and you can spray stuff yourself.

As far as an extended warranty. Shop around. Look at Good Sam warranties and their roadside assistance plans.

I dont know how soon your CY will be built. But I would see if you can get the Goodyear G614's added before it leaves the plant. Ya dont want the towmax tires.....read all the threads on the forum about tires failures.
What Bob said...The sealant is the biggest moneymaker the dealer has. Coming from the new car business I know that for a fact...Absolute waste of of money..Extended warranty won't be far behind. If you must have one look at Good Sam but wait until your regular warranty runs out, then decide. If you buy now your seven year will turn into a six year because it won't pay until the factory warranty is done. Look at what it WON'T cover. Don't just take the salesperson's "Bumper to bumper" as the truth..Don

Rae

What would you recommend to put as a sealant on the roof of our Bighorn 3400? We are first time buyers and not informed on what is best to preserve our roof.

GOTTOYS

What would you recommend to put as a sealant on the roof of our Bighorn 3400? We are first time buyers and not informed on what is best to preserve our roof.
I don't use anything. Check with the manufacturer of the rubber fabric. They will tell you the same. Keep in mind the the 12 year roof warranty, isn't much. It only covers the fabric, not the installation and if that isn't bad enough it's going to be pro-rated. I bet that's a little less than what the salesperson said also...Don

oscar

I would not purchase either but then again I do all of my own repairs and fixes. I had no issue with buying at an out of state dealer in order to save thousands on the sticker price knowing that I would be fixing most items myself. This also means that I purchased a unit that was in stack and did not get to custumize my unit with different options. I accept the fact that there will always be some items that leave the factory that will need to be addressed during the first few usages of the unit. My unit had two small water leaks that just needed to be retightened. We had one loose connection behind the entertainment wall in the satellite cables, one electrical outlet that that had not been connected properly, and one of my windows was inoperable due to a screw being placed in the wrong spot preventing the sliding window from sliding. If you can handle these items yourself then the 4k can be spent on other items like upgrading the tires. If you do not think that you can resolve items like this, then the 4k might be a wise investment for you. I also agree with the above, any major items will likely show up during the factory warranty period if you use your unit.
Good luck with your unit, and I hope that you get many enjoyable years out of it.

This is my MO.

As far as the roof….the BEST thing you can do to it is get it under roof…...

misty

Thank you for feedback on the sealant. They make it sound so great, but I guess that is their job. We opted not to do it. As for the warranty, my husband has been looking into Good Sam as that's the company that keeps popping up as a good one in his searching. Our trailer was already built when we bought it. It's next in line to be delivered. Supposedly it left today on its way here. I agree with you on the tires. We learned some hard scary lessons on a big boat trailer with factory tires. Never again! We have a tire guy who takes good care of us set to replace the tires as soon as we get it. I wish we could've ordered it the exact way we wanted, but I didn't want to wait. Hopefully it's close enough because we sure hope to keep it for years to come. Thanks for all your input! I truly appreciate it!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DO NOT put any sealers on the rubber roof. WASH only with "dawn" liquid soap and a scrub brush every time it looks black and dirty. I do mine about 3-4 times a year.

We are getting our new 3800HD in a few weeks. I have been looking around for the extended warranties. The best deal I have so far is $1600 for 7 years $100 ded. Warranty is backed by A+ rated insurance company in case the warranty company goes out of business (which happened with my homeowners warranty). The policy is the type where it is covered unless specifically listed as not covered. Better than a named peril policy. Private message for the companies I am dealing with. By the way price started almost $2,000

porthole

Retired
Sealant - smoke and mirrors

Extended warranty - unless it is a Good Sam, skip it. I have no experience with good sam warranties, I only mention it because they are nationwide and tied in with camping world. That gives you a lot of options for service.

You may also be covered under your insurance policy, so that is another avenue to check.

Extended warranties are probably the biggest profit maker for any dealer (including all consumer products). At least a 100% markup. If it makes you feel better, offer the dealer 1/2 the cost of his "special deal" (without the sealant junk)