Feedback requested on proposed Bighorn floor plan: 3200MB

jbeletti

Below is a drawing of a new floor plan Heartland is considering. Heartland would like your feedback.

Significant features:
  • Sunken bathtub in all-in-one bathroom (about 12" deep with about half of that being below floor level)
  • Rear Kitchen
  • King Bed
  • Two sofas (standard and L sofa)*
*Recliners or Theater seating can be ordered in place of standard sofa on door side

Question for you:

1. What are your thoughts on dual entrance to the bathroom (hallway and bedroom)? We can make a solid wall next to the bed for those who request it, but curious if that should be the standard?

Thank you in advance for letting Heartland know what you like and dislike about this floor plan and any ideas you have for improving it.

Jim

3200MB_Refer_Access_with_Slide_In.jpg

3200MB_with_Island_and_Recliners.jpg
3200MB.jpg

Last edited:

PeternLiane

I like it. I like the rear kitchen concept. The needs to be like a breakfast bar in the kitchen too. The two recliners should be standard and the couch should be an option. Love the J sofa. Everything else looks great.

brianharrison

I am not fond of a rear ktichen; had one before and all the cupboard contents would be all over the place, and broken dishes/containers after any road trip. Not a Heartland though and possibly the newer units/heavier/better suspensions today would help with that.....

The Sunken tub may be an issue for those with mobility, and slipping. Don't know....

The two doors into the bathroom are good when there are "non-owners" using the biffy - that way entrance into the bedroom is not required for these guests.

I love the L-sofas; great visual room divider and extra seating. Hopefully the Television is on a pull out and swivel - My neck and eyes get sore looking sideways at a TV.....

Thanks for letting us comment Jim!

Brian

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

Not crazy about the rear kitchen. We llike the the view from the back. Theater seating is great. In fact we removed our couch completely, moved the dining room table to the rear and have the old dining area set up as a sewing room for DW. The theater seating is so comfortable I usually just fall asleep there.

sandman

As far as rear kitchens go this is a real good set up. The two things i would say is make sure that there is a very large window over the sink, and a small island with large pot drawers and would help with counter space.everything else looks great. the two door entry in to the bath is great, should be standard. always works well with an all in one bath

jayc

Legendary Member
We had another brand fifth wheel with a rear kitchen and liked it a lot. We never had a problem with dishes being broken or things in the kitchen being thrown about.

The thing I don't like is the lack of counter space or food storage area in the kitchen. We full time and my wife likes to cook and needs that space.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I like it. And the two doors in the bathroom doesn't bother me. The key areas to me are PLENTY of walk around space around the bed. We've decided on the Big Country 3690 for that very reason. Most space of any RV we've seen.

The other thing I'd love to see is nightstands. At least one. Not sure if that's possible in this plan, but I thought I'd mention it.

re: smaller counter space. Perhaps consider adding a rolling island. I've seen that in SOB and thought it was a good idea. But not having used it, maybe not.

That tub sounds divine!

~Alice

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If they were to decide to leave the sliding bathroom door I would vote for a pocket door instead of the bypass way it is shown now. I do like the "solid" hinged doors shown at the stairwell. With the toilet positioned the way it is shown in the layout there may not be a way to hang the toilet paper roll, maybe on the inside of the sink cabinet? I am not a fan of the television in it's current position regardless of the L-shaped couch. Others people stiing at the kitche table or the other couch will be turning their heads to view the TV which is uncomfortable.

What is the thinking behind having a bath tub sunk in the floor for 12 inches? I am not sure I get it. Enlighten me.
Not that it necessarily bothers me personally but it looks as if the refer will be blocked when the slides are in for travelling. Issues for others?

That is all for now,
Goodbye

jbeletti

...re: smaller counter space. Perhaps consider adding a rolling island. I've seen that in SOB and thought it was a good idea. But not having used it, maybe not...

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the island, what would you think of this:

Idea: Keep this a rear kitchen but take the sink out of he rear counter and add a fixed, free standing island with the sink in it. This would give you back more counter space and storage space.

Anyone like that idea?

jbeletti

...What is the thinking behind having a bath tub sunk in the floor for 12 inches? I am not sure I get it. Enlighten me...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have all the whys and where fors, but Kary or Coley will likely weigh in soon here. Let's keep the feedback rolling in to give these guys more things to think about and respond to.

With regard to the tub, it's about a 12" high tub with only a portion of it below the floor. What sink any of it? Not really sure.

Jim

jbeletti

As far as rear kitchens go this is a real good set up. The two things i would say is make sure that there is a very large window over the sink, and a small island with large pot drawers and would help with counter space.everything else looks great. the two door entry in to the bath is great, should be standard. always works well with an all in one bath

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the feedback from out West :)

The plan shows a window in the back, but it looks to be about the width of the sink cabinet. So - make it wider then? It looks like there are upper cabinets across the back. They probably come down as far as standard kitchen cabinets do. So, taller than normal rear cap cabinets. The cabinet if any, above the sink is likely a shorter cabinet to allow for a taller window. If we kept that taller window there, would you suggest it be flanked on both sides by windows, even if they have to be shorter?

Jim

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If the bathroom door into the hallway opens out, how do you get around the open door to get into the bathroom, if you are coming from up the stairs? We noticed this on a BC. We had to walk past the door to be on the bedroom side of the door opening, before we could open it. (Maybe we're "wider" than most?)

I agree with needing more countertop space. I like the idea of the sink on an island.

Erika

jbeletti

If the bathroom door into the hallway opens out, how do you get around the open door to get into the bathroom, if you are coming from up the stairs? We noticed this on a BC. We had to walk past the door to be on the bedroom side of the door opening, before we could open it. (Maybe we're "wider" than most?)

I agree with needing more countertop space. I like the idea of the sink on an island.

Erika

Erika,

Thanks for the feedback. So that's another vote for an island!

As for the bathroom door in the hallway, I see what you mean. My LM is hinged on the right. So, easy entry from the stairs. But I have to pass it by coming from my bedroom, then open and enter. It's not really a problem for us as I think we have more floor between the steps and the door in our unit.

Why this is hinged on the left, I'm just not sure. Looks like to use it from downstairs, you'll have to open the bedroom door, enter the bedroom, reach out and open the bathroom and enter the bathroom.

We'll have to let Kary or Coley weigh in on why we've drawn it that way.

Keep us on our toes people! More feed back is desired :)

Thanks everyone!

Jim

K

karykatz

Thanks Everyone for your input. Great ideas and comments. We are listening. right now we are looking at an island for more countertop and storage space. Looking at setting of the back wall base cabinets with wide deep storage drawers. Thoughts...

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Everyone for your input. Great ideas and comments. We are listening. right now we are looking at an island for more countertop and storage space. Looking at setting of the back wall base cabinets with wide deep storage drawers. Thoughts...

DW loves the deep drawers in our 3670. She uses them for pots and pans and says she will never buy another rig without them.

Our last SOB was a rear kitchen. DW also liked that, because folks were not cutting through the kitchen. We didn't like not having any rear window however.

I like the new design overall, including the tub/shower.

Trace

smildrum

Hi Jim,

I like the idea of an island with the sink and open up the back area a little. Also gives you the opportunity to turn around at the stove to put pots etc. on. The sides of the stove don't afford much opportunity to do that. Especially if you love to cook like we do.

Can you point out where the entrance door is?

I can see where the refrigerator is and wondering if it is accessible with the slides in? Getting to the refrigerator without opening the slides is something we wish we could do.

Table and chairs- shows 2 chairs- is it really 4 and having a table extension leaf would be great

Don't want to get too picky here but are there windows between the j-sofa and overhead cabinets- hope so or at least would recommend it.

Yes, something for a small shelf above the bed if nightstands cannot be added is a must. With outlets on either side to plug things in.

Another question: where is the closest "hanging locker" coat/shoe storage in relation the the door? Don't want to traipse through the camper to hang up a wet jacket or change muddy shoes.

But you really asked about:

Significant features:

• Sunken bathtub in all-in-one bathroom (about 12" deep with about half of that being below floor level) "Okay only if it has a place to sit in the corner too"
  • Rear Kitchen- "Works for me" see above
  • King Bed- "great for DH, me and 2 golden retriervers"
  • Two sofas (standard and L sofa)- "Probably would want recliners instead of additional sofa with j-sofa having a pullout bed.

Jim, thanks for asking our opinion

Please don't think I am trying to poke holes in the design. :) Just we have been actively searching floor plans and these are some of the things that come to mind.

Thanks for reading,
Susan

BBinNC

The only thing I don't like is the TV placement. I hate to have to turn sideways to look at the TV. Is there any way to have it on the wall opposite the couch?

Rickhansen

Jim and the group,
I like the fact that this floorplan is unique and has appeal to it, but all-in-all I'd have to say I'm skeptical, at best.

One of my initial concerns was the apparent lack of kitchen counter / cupboard space. I like the later suggestion of an island, but not sure of the functionality of it given the size limitations when the slides are pulled in. I can't tell from sketch too much about the dinette seating, but I rather like the idea of two larger chairs instead of four. We have four chairs at our table, but have only used more than two on rare occasion.

Like several others have mentioned, the television viewing angles to the seating is impossible. A swivel mount may help, but I don't think is a perfect solution. I am curious as to the furnishing and or fireplace in the television area? There's a lot of good possibilities, but the sketch isn't doing justice for me to visualize.

Lastly, I'm guessing that the tub is rather small. If the tub is only 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and you only fill it to 6-inches deep, it would take about 30 gallons of water. At a 50-50 mix of hot and cold water, a 12-gallon water heater probably won't cut it. (and might take 15 minutes or more to fill it.) I'm not an overly big guy, but a bath in that size tub and 6 inches of warm water isn't as appealing as it should be. I'd have to stick to the shower. Is there a shower head? It would be good for givivng your dog a bath though.

Thanks for opportunity to voice my opinion.

jbeletti

In post 1, I have added a second rendering. This one shows a free-standing island and recliners in place of the standard sofa. The island is an idea to receive your feedback and the standard sofa versus recliner will be an option of either when ordering.

Jim