Fifth wheel hitch lubrication

Herm45

Brand new to fifth wheeling and need recommendations for what to use on the hitch for lubrication.
Thanks,

Herm

SD08ER

I use the Lube Plate for the top too and I use Teflon Ball Lube ONLY on the pin to reduce wear and friction. It is non-greasy, water-resistant and non-toxic. Won't wash off or break down. It is from CW too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have the same white polyethylene lube plate on mine. At the rally, Lippert was selling one made of polyamide, same as the NeverFail sleeves. Sounded good and we all know about a fool and his money. I had it for all of ten minutes. That's how long it took to find out it the hole was too big for the 5th Airborne pin (go figure) and take it back for a refund. Put the white one back on

aatauses

I also use a plate but then add a little grease to the king pin for lubrication while turning.
al

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
KKAM, I take mine apart about every 6 months and lube all the pivot points with lithum lube. The only other place is a little of the same on the pin only. Got the white plate as everyone else. You dont have an 18 wheeler. You probably have 3K pin weight....not 30K.

TXTiger

I bought the black plate at the rally in Goshen. I also spray white lithium grease on the jaw and privet points under the head of the hitch as well as the pin on the trailer.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375984637.718904.jpg

Lube plate welded to hitch, no more falling discs! Purchased from Dually Depot in Elkhart.

DH does lube with lithium grease all moving parts of hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Can I jump in and ask how often you guys lube your hitch? We have a B&W and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't greased it yet. But its only been in use six months plus a few quick hauls.

We have the white disk that the dealer gave us. They said I'd know I need a new on when this one starts to look shredded. Is that right?

Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sjs731

Alice,
I have a B&W hitch and I grease the fitting on the hitch at the beginning of every year and a couple times a year a spray some white lithium grease on the poly bushings the head sits on. It stops the squeaking and let's the head pivot smoothly.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

I also lube my hitch every few months.
I remove it from the truck and lube all moving parts.
I have the Reese/Ford Puck Style under bed system.
A little lube on the Jaw and Pin works wonders.
I use a 12" White Lube Plate instead of the 10" most dealers sell.
With my hitch, 18,000# Reese Signature Series, a 12" Lube Plate is recommended.
I have the Trail Air Tri-Glide Pin Box and the 12" gives me more contact area.
I could not find one in the area, so I had to order it online.

Hockster

whp4262

I also lube my hitch every few months.
I remove it from the truck and lube all moving parts.
I have the Reese/Ford Puck Style under bed system.
A little lube on the Jaw and Pin works wonders.
I use a 12" White Lube Plate instead of the 10" most dealers sell.
With my hitch, 18,000# Reese Signature Series, a 12" Lube Plate is recommended.
I have the Trail Air Tri-Glide Pin Box and the 12" gives me more contact area.
I could not find one in the area, so I had to order it online.

Hockster

I bought my 12" Lube Plate at Camping World, not sure if all the stores stock them but this one did.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Are bushings the black rubber looking things? B/c those squeak and I bought the white grease for them but just didn't put it on yet. I was worried about messing something up. I need to find all our owners manuals and read the directions. :eek:

Alice,
I have a B&W hitch and I grease the fitting on the hitch at the beginning of every year and a couple times a year a spray some white lithium grease on the poly bushings the head sits on. It stops the squeaking and let's the head pivot smoothly.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

sjs731

Are bushings the black rubber looking things? B/c those squeak and I bought the white grease for them but just didn't put it on yet. I was worried about messing something up. I need to find all our owners manuals and read the directions. :eek:

Correct. Since I am at the computer I looked up the owners manual and it says to lube the bushing with high grade lithium grease.

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

olcoon

If you have a dealer that sells/works on trailers (not campers) in your area, usually you can save a few bucks buying the lube plate from them.