Fifth Wheel pin stabilizer?

Boston09

First fifth wheel newbie here. I have seen several fifth wheels set up with a three legged stabilizer(?) on the front pin. Is this necessary? Are there any benefits to adding this? We will usually be parked anywhere from a few weeks to months during the winter.

Any help would be appreciated. We are new to the fulltiming world.

Thank you

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have a pin box tripod stabilizer and after a while just left it home, then got rid of it.
For me it was a large item taking up valuable space and didn't return enough benefit for me.
They do help stabilize a bit but in my opinion not worth dragging around.

Peace
Dave

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We have used one in conjunction with "X-Chocks". As Dave said, they do help but are certainly not the best thing goin'. We did find that it helped quite a bit when the forward installed washing machine was running.

Garypowell

I do believe they are of benefit but We have stopped using ours as the past couple of years we been moving faster. This coming season we will be sitting in one place all summer and will use it again.

You have to to set them up correctly to get the maximum benefit. Once you have it as tight as possible you the move the front down slightly to put some extra pressure on it.

When not using it we spin the washer at 600 rpm. But with it we let it rip up to 1,200 so the drying time is less.

I have seen some on rigs that look like the are made from “garage door” angle iron......not beefy enough.

porthole

Retired
With 6 point LevelUp and a heavy trailer like the Landmark, I wouldn't spend the money on the the pin box thing, JT strong-arms or X-chocks.

Band aid approaches for a problem manufacturers think we have.

Lighter travel trailers and 5Th wheels, good chocks and Strongarms will probably help - some.

The only chocks I would consider, if you could still get them are Rotochoks.

I have a set of Rotochoks, but no longer use them.
(I also have Strongarms on the front and rear LevelUp jacks)

Last edited:

MP_CS

With 6 point LevelUp and a heavy trailer like the Landmark, I wouldn't spend the money on the the pin box thing, JT strong-arms or X-chocks.

The only chocks I would consider, if you could still get them are Roto-chocks.

I have a set of Roto-chocks, but no longer use them.

Lighter travel trailers and 5Th wheels, good chocks and Strongarms will probably help - some.

On my Sundance XLT that has no auto level the JT strongarms and x chocks make a remarkable difference.
I used nothing for a few years until a friend got a new fiver with strongarms and i could see the difference. It was money well spent IMO, and i will spend it again when we pick up our new Reflection that has 6 point this spring.

porthole

Retired
On my Sundance XLT that has no auto level the JT strongarms and x chocks make a remarkable difference.
I used nothing for a few years until a friend got a new fiver with strongarms and i could see the difference. It was money well spent IMO, and i will spend it again when we pick up our new Reflection that has 6 point this spring.

My comment was specific to a heavy, LevelUp'd trailer, that the OP has.

I'm sure on lighter weight trailers all that stuff may help.
On a heavier trailer the JT's don't do much if anything at all.
Have proved it several times with either two rambunctious dogs playing in the garage our our 1200 RPM Washer/dryer combo.

But if he wants to add JT's he can look at my post to see how some of us adapted the bars to LevelUp jacks.

JT Stabilizers on the Cyclone with LevelUp

Boston09

Sorry about the delayed response. We we on the road. I do appreciate the experienced answers. I have seen the x-block chocks and have heard they are a good option.

We do feel a little movement when the laundry is on full blast. Think we may try the chicks for now as we need new ones anyway. I placed our last ones in the truck bed while packing out and forgot to stow them. They decided to stay by our last site and jumped out on the drive.

mlpeloquin

The only chocks I would consider, if you could still get them are Roto-chocks.

I have a set of Roto-chocks, but no longer use them.

Check this out. Roto-chok is no longer manufactured. Both owners died and the family did not want to continue. You would think that they might have been able to sell off the design and production. http://www.viprv.com/rotochok/rotochok.cfm

porthole

Retired
Check this out. Roto-chok is no longer manufactured. Both owners died and the family did not want to continue. You would think that they might have been able to sell off the design and production. http://www.viprv.com/rotochok/rotochok.cfm

It is a shame they did not sell off the rights.

The Rotochoks are well made and perform as good as they look. I don't use them much anymore but have no intention of disposing of the set.
The only time I get them out now is for approaching hurricanes. Help keep the trailer from walking down the driveway.