Fight with opening windows

ParkIt

Ever since I took delivery of the unit the windows have always been a pita to get open. The larger back window (also emergency exit window) opens about 8" then stops after fighting just to get it open that far. Hopefully I'll never have to count on getting out that window!
The ones that slide up with 2 latch settings are just as bad: they will open about half an inch then not want to slide up the rest of the way. Its worse than trying to make the bed!

I keep the gaskets clean and thinking of using gasket silicon spray but that would streak the windows. Also notice at night with inside lights on the part that is not fixed looks a little warped (they all do, especially the rear window) so I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong or they just aren't the best set for this unit?

Any suggestions would be a huge help.
(tried search but couldn't find anything in the last 2 years, if there is a link to another solve post please let me know)

Thanks!

TXTiger

I have the same problem with my windows. Will be keeping an eye on this thread for a solution. There has to be a better way

MTPockets

Not sure if all windows are the same, but for what it's worth, our large rear window (dual pane) was difficult to slide when new, but gradually has improved with time and use. We full time so possibly more use than occasional user. A slide window, I think, needs to stay snug to maintain a good seal.

Pizzaguy

The fix to the window problem is to check the screws in the frame. Some of screws are way too tight and "pinching" the window as you try to open it. If you go thru each screw in the frame and adjust it, your windows will work perfectly. You may have to do this again depending on what extreme hot or cold weather conditions you experience through the year.

ParkIt

Not sure if all windows are the same, but for what it's worth, our large rear window (dual pane) was difficult to slide when new, but gradually has improved with time and use. We full time so possibly more use than occasional user. A slide window, I think, needs to stay snug to maintain a good seal.
Been doing a 'dry run' since January with the unit parked next to the house, so far it hasn't been bad for FTL (full time living). I tend to use the windows a lot year round though none have gotten easier to open but hopefully with time and what Pizzaguy posted, they will open without a fight.

The fix to the window problem is to check the screws in the frame. Some of screws are way too tight and "pinching" the window as you try to open it. If you go thru each screw in the frame and adjust it, your windows will work perfectly. You may have to do this again depending on what extreme hot or cold weather conditions you experience through the year.
Are there any screws in particular (top/bottom/R side/L side) that you noticed were tighter than others or made a bigger difference right away? Just curious though I'll give anything a shot at this point, very frustrating to open and close the windows.

In the now 3 years I've had this rig the temps haven't made any difference with exception to the entry door - but it doesn't have a window that opens. At least not yet anyway ;)

Thanks for the tips so far!

Pizzaguy

The bottom and side screws will help the most. Once you put a screwdriver in them and back them out you will see what I mean. Some will be too tight and others just about right. Let me know if that solves your problem. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wdk450

I looked at some other RV forums on this question. The screws are certainly a best bet. Some recommended Slide Lube Spray (available at many Walmarts), which you can also spray on the bottom of your black bottom slides to improve their slipperyness.

ICamel

Sometimes rubbing candle wax on the bottom portion of the window frame will help. I take an unlit candle that I have cut down to just undersized for the frame slot and gently rub it in the bottom groove.