Filling DEF Tank

gasman

Camp Socializer
Okay, I just filled my DEF tank tonight at a Pilot/Flying J. It was 2.99 a gallon at the pump. I didn't need any adapters. The only inconvenience was that they didn't have a pump at the RV island so I had to pull into the truck islands. They weren't slammed with trucks so it worked out fine.

jbeletti

Okay, I just filled my DEF tank tonight at a Pilot/Flying J. It was 2.99 a gallon at the pump...

3 bucks a gallon at the pump - I like that! The 2.5 gallon jugs are convenient and I'll keep one in my truck, but they sure aren't economical.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I still buy my BlueDEF boxes at O'Reilleys. Since I've bought the truck they have been priced at $9.99.
Also this has been a few places in TX and LA.

I've yet to purchase any at a pump.

On long trips I have 1-2 boxes ( 5 gallons ) sitting in the basement, as the first long trip I took with the truck I ended up using both. This was quite a bit of mountain towing added in also which increases EGT's which increases DEF usage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just bought a gallon today at the Ford dealer and it was $6.18 a gallon, nozzle included.

pegmikef

Just bought a gallon today at the Ford dealer and it was $6.18 a gallon, nozzle included.

Yeah, that's about what I have been paying at the dealer. . . just under 14 dollars with tax for the 2 1/2 gallon jug with nozzle.

TXTiger

I only have 12,000 miles on my F-350. Mostly towing. The DEF gets used up a lot faster when towing. Had to add about 2.5 gal at 5,000 miles while on the road in Neb. Went to a Ford dealer and had them top it off at no charge, it was included in my extended service contract. Had an oil change at 7,500 and my dealer at home said they topped it off. Left for Gillette the next day. Just hit 12,000 on 4th of July, again while on the road in Neb, and Ford dealer said their parts department was closed for the holiday. I was on my way to Denver so I couldn't wait. Fulled up at the next Flying J and got DEF at the pump for $2.69 a gal. Took 4 gal to fill it just under $12 dollars. Hit the ok button on the stearing wheel and the warning light went off. By the time I get back home I will be at 15,000 miles and need another oil change so will have my dealer top it off again for free. Love that extended service contract!!

wolfrat1

I have a 2012 silverado 3500hd crew cab. I love the truck, it pulls my bighorn 3610re like nothing is behind me. I don't know about the newer Fords, but I hate GM's gauge for the def. It's in percentages. First it will pop up and say fluid low and then it starts off with percentages. It would be nice just to have a simple gauge on the dash cluster showing how low the tank is. That way you're not left trying to guess how much to buy.

Last edited:

mmomega

AnyTimer
I have a 2012 silverado 3500hd crew cab. I love the truck, it pulls my bighorn 3610re like nothing is behind me. I don't know about the newer Fords, but I hate GM's gauge for the def. It's in percentages. First it will pop fluid low and then it starts off with percentages. It would be nice just to have a simple gauge on the dash cluster showing how low the tank. That way you're not left trying to guess how much to buy.

With the Fords, if you are above half a tank it will show full, if you are below half it says you have less than half. If you start getting low, low on DEF it will remind you every time you start the truck starting at 800 miles left until empty and so on until you fill it above half.
You can go to System Check and it will show full or under half full.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Yeah, that's about what I have been paying at the dealer. . . just under 14 dollars with tax for the 2 1/2 gallon jug with nozzle.

Its 12 and some change for 2 1/2 gal blue def at O'smilley auto parts and about the same at Tractor Surprise. I haven't had to add any yet but I just purchased the truck on the 7th. Left the dealer and bought a jug on the way home to have, but it looks to me that the most convenient thing is to get it at the pump. It is not much cost difference but seems like it would be a lot easier. I wish they would have put the fill tube next to the fuel fill instead of under the hood.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Its 12 and some change for 2 1/2 gal blue def at O'smilley auto parts and about the same at Tractor Surprise. I haven't had to add any yet but I just purchased the truck on the 7th. Left the dealer and bought a jug on the way home to have, but it looks to me that the most convenient thing is to get it at the pump. It is not much cost difference but seems like it would be a lot easier. I wish they would have put the fill tube next to the fuel fill instead of under the hood.

You mean like FORD did? :rolleyes:

dave10a

It is a mystery why the geniuses in Detroit can not put a gauge on DEF like the fuel Gage that show exactly how much is in the tank. Instead they have to play computer games when it comes to DEF like "under half full" "500 mile left" "200 miles left" "50 miles left" "guess what you are walking" ;-) . Every one is use to a fuel gage and know the consequences when it is empty. I guess they have a low opinion of our intelligence and have to provide those crazy warnings.