Filling up fresh water

vane1920

We will be dry camping for the 1st time in our 2014 Gateway 3650bh. It's been a while since our walk through and I can recall if the 5th wheel has 2 fresh water tanks, 1 in the front and another in the rear.

olcoon

All of the rigs I know about have 4 tanks. One fresh water, 2 gray water, and 1 black tank. There is the possibility yours may have 2 fresh water, but I doubt it. Usually the only time you'll use your fresh water tank, is if you are camping someplace that doesn't have fresh water, then you'll want to fill your fresh water tank, we'll fill it at the dump station when we arrive at the campground, with the hydrant marked POTABLE WATER. I also carry a spray bottle with a Clorox mix to spray it with, you never know what some idiot may have done! If you are camping someplace that has a water hook up at your campsite, you can hook up your hose to their hydrant, and the other end to your "city water" connection, and you'll have water in your rig just like at home. We don't travel with water in our fresh water tank, as it adds a lot of weight to the coach. Sometimes I might put some water in it for restroom breaks while on the road, but usually just use one at a rest area, or wherever. If we are conservative with the water, and have a full tank, we can go for about a week before having to refill the tank, or dump the tanks.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We carry Chlorox Disinfecting Wipes to use on our hose connections. The bleach/water mixture in a spray bottle will break down within a few hours to a couple of days depending on temp. Spraying with one of the food safe disinfectants for the kitchen would probably work too, but it takes time for all that stuff including the wipes to kill the germs. It doesn't usually happen on contact.

There, that is enough of a chemistry/biology lesson from me for now. Haha

Kristy

Lynn1130

You posted what I was going to mention. Most of those do not kill on contact and thus I avoid filling at public locations that are next to dump stations.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes I would never fill at a dump station. I always fill at home so I know I always have good clean water in my tank. That will keep it all like new for years. no rusty faucets, sink, or shower, stains from somedody else's hard water. My last RV was 10 years old and it looked brand new inside and out.