Fireplace plug over heated.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We been using our fireplace in our 2014 Cyclone 4000 quite a bit lately with the cold weather. My wife notice that the plug under the TV where the fireplace is pluged in was arcing (the fireplace was not runnin at the time). I unplugged it and found the plug had started to melted and charred some what. So we are not using it until the goesin for it final warranty work to be done before the end of the month. Has any one else had this type of problem with the fireplaces in these units?

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

marvmarcy

There have been some complaints about the fireplaces, but nothing consistent. If the fan stops while the heating element is on the grill and surrounding area can get very hot. As with anything that can draw higher current, a loose wire in the circuit can get hot and arc, creating a fire risk.

We're fulltimers and often use our fireplace. After more than three years the only issue was when the remote's batteries died.

pegmikef

After reading about various fireplace incidents on this forum we now only use ours when we are present in the living/kitchen area. Except for burned out light bulbs and a stuck flame simulator, we have had no problems with it after 20 months of use.

lynndiwagoner

It's not the fireplace, it's the plug. Take out the one that's there and put in a good residential type. Use the screws on the side of the new plug, not the punch on type. Fifteen amps is too much for the type of plug they put in.

chiefneon

Howdy!

Lynn, it is actually the electrial male plug that is melted and charred not the female duel electric outlet.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

wdk450

Howdy!

Lynn, it is actually the electrial male plug that is melted and charred not the female duel electric outlet.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Heat deterioration of the female outlet will cause deterioration of the male plug due to heat and corrosion of the contact points. A pretty common example of this is the male plug on your 30 amp shore plug adapter, which gets plugged into shore pedestal outlets which have been connected/disconnected with RV electrical loads on, and the pedestal circuit breaker on. This causes arcing worn female outlet connections which start the heat/corrosion contact deterioration circle.

On edit: One time I plugged a NEW 30 amp adapter into a park 30 amp outlet that I didn't know was corroded. The next morning I unplugged the 30 amp adapter plug which was now hot, and had blackened metal prongs.

Last edited:

jbeletti

I suppose it's possible that the wiring in the plug is the problem, but my guess is a poor connection elsewhere. Consider inspecting the junction box on the frame where the Romex transitions to flexible wiring. Focus on the wire nuts in the box (with AC power disconnected of course).

busted2341

Jim might have it right on. I had lost power to all plugs in the living room but no breaker popped. During trouble shooting I found that 2 of four of the wire nuts in the junction box under the slide were the wrong size. They had melted to a blob. I was lucky no fire started....I learned and checked every connection I could find and actually found several more burned due to arching and oversized wire nuts...Be careful and do a thorough inspection........Frank

lynndiwagoner

My problem was actually the wire nuts in the junction box. While I was at it I went ahead and replaced the receptacle for the fireplace. No more problems. I was appalled at the situation in the junction box. I really like my BC but that junction box is trouble looking for a place to happen.

mixie57

We experienced same issue of melted male plug. It got so hot that it melted the outlet cover also. We replaced it with appropriate residential plug and haven't had an issue since. Really glad that I caught this before a fire.

Last edited: