First big trip, few problems.

deee2

Well, we've been gone a little over two weeks, with about 2 1/2 weeks to go. We are presently at Winchester Bay RV Resort in Oregon. What a beautiful place!! We can see water out five windows.. not bad!

My DH is very handy, thank goodness. The kitchen sink on the right side wasn't tightened down, and thus leaked. He fixed it. Same with the bathroom sink, but we have a container catching water until he can get the right tool for there. The cabinet door in the bedroom didn't/doesn't latch tightly and came open in route. Caused the slideout jam into it and broke the mirror on the cabinet when we opend it out. Now we wrap a cord around two cabine door knobs so it won't open, but still have the broken mirror. Thank goodness DH was watching the slideout and realized right away something was stopping it. I think these are all the little things new owners need to keep an eye out for. Almost all nuts and bolts have been loose and needing tightened. So far no major problems, but it must be hard for anyone owning an RV that isn't also 'handy' to have around. The living room TV doesn't angle down and so we spent the first few nights trying to figure out why the colors were so dark. Then it dawned on me, it's an LCD monitor and you need to be level with it for the best picture. I'm not sure what we'll do about that one. One of the recliners fabric is coming apart at he seam. We wish we'd gotten the Euro chairs, does anyone want to trade? LOL

Now, for the good. We love the unit and the floor plan and the extra space and storage we have with this. It tows like a dream. And YES, customer service is outstanding so far. DH broke the entry handle to the RV and Heartland shipped one out to us for no charge, even though it was our fault. So in some ways, that makes up for the chores my hubby has had to do. We'll have to check getting the mirror replaced and the chair fixed when we get home. If this is all that goes wrong, we'll be thrilled.

Good luck to all of you RVers out there! No Bighorns here but us, and we do stand out as being one beautiful 5er!! :)

Donna :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes Donna, the joys of owning an rv. You certainly have to keep up with checking and tightening things. You don't just buy them and tow them around. Kinda like owning a snowmobile. Ride it and fix it. I did a similar thing with a kitchen cabinet door and a slide. It wasn't pretty and it cost me for repairs. We now use pony tail bands and secure all cabinet doors. Also a double check before opening or closing slides. Live and learn.
Hope your mirror is not to costly.
Peace
Dave

DennisZ

Donna
We spent 3 days in Winchester Bay last summer, it is a great place. It rained on us most of the time, but it was still worth the trip. If you are going home down I-5, the RV park at Seven Feathers is really nice. Have fun with your new rig.

Dennis

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
And below 7 Feathers is a State park called Valley of the Rogue south of Grants Pass. It is a great park to stay in too.
Kristy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Steve & Donna, Glad your first trip was good. You've had pretty much the same first experiences as most when it comes to owning an RV. We learned secure every cabinet door that's next to a slide out. Our kitchen sink did the same thing. We opted for the Euro chairs but hated them. After sitting in them for a while they became uncomfortable. Because we live in our Bighorn, we ended up buying a loveseat recliner and regular recliner to replace the factory stuff. When we decide to quit RVing we'll put the factory furniture back in it. I actually "look" for things to do now to pass some time and improve the Bighorn. Enjoy your new rig and travel safe.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Donna,
We just came back from OR. I didn't want to come home at all. We had the best fish and chips at that scruffy littly restaurant at the marina. I think it's Griff's? We stayed at Tugman state park at Lakeside and drove into Winchester. A little less fog. We then stayed at Humbug State park for a few days and then on to Trinidad for the last few days. If you're going down 101, there is some road construction outside of Crescent city, so be prepared for a delay. Enjoy the rest of your trip! I sure wish I was still there. 98 degrees here today.

deee2

This is our last night at Winchester Bay, and from what we hear, we've had perfect weather. And yes, we ate at Griff's also, and it was very good!

I think what we're going through with the rig is common on all new RV's... screws just need tightening and every thing checked over periodically. We sure do love the 3055.

We like the chairs ok, but had tried to get the rig with the Euro chairs, but the deal we got on this setup was too good to pass up. The one thing is these are hard to move and we have to move them a lot, as our two parrots sit in the back window most often. Then we move them to the kitchen table once it's their bedtime and we get the living room for ourselves. We must be the odd balls out here as most people have a couple dogs. At least we don't have to hurry back to 'walk' our pets! lol

Thanks everyone for all your advice again... consider us HAPPY CAMPERS!

deee2

ooops... forgot, we leave tomorrow for Gold Beach, just a few miles up the road. We'll take that jet boat ride up the Rogue River. Then into the Redwoods for about a week. This has been our longest trip out yet and can see how it could become addictive!!!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
If you have time going through Coos Bay a stop at Shore Acres Botanical Garden is well worth the time. Its not a huge park but it is very pretty and sits on a cliff looking out over the water. The jet boat ride is a blast! Travel Safe.
Kristy

deee2

We didn't get internet service last night, so passed that area today and missed the gardens. We would have enjoyed that. We went to some in Fort Bragg that were sure pretty.

Tomorrow's the jet boat ride, we're looking forward to it!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
been trying to hook up the winchester rv park web site with no luck as ther website is down. we are planning an oregon washington, idaho, montana trip if anyone has any ideas.

bigredtruck

If you haven't done the Olympic Penuinsula in Washington, you should. And if you get a clear day, make the trek up to Hurricane Ridge (without the trailer). Port Townsend is a pretty little town too. the Fort Warden campground is pretty but windy - be prepared.

Shadowchek

O.K. You guys stop it I love all of those places and the Oregon mountains also but I really need a couple weeks off of work to be able to do it. Shelly and I were just talking about figuring out a way to pull that one off. We are both self employed so we can go but we may not have much of a job when we get back. Or at least there would be a lot of damage controll. I haven't been to those places since I was a younger kid (I refuse to grow up ). I went with my parents and my sister when I was a teenager. We were in a 1968 Chevy 1/2 ton truck with a straight 6 and three on the tree and a Ramble cabover camper. The Ramble that was later changed to Rangle do to the conflict with the rambler car we all remember those right. Wow how far we have come. It sure will be nice when we get to do it again in the Bighorn. I am not sure if I will enjoy it more but I will appreciate more and it will be a lot more comfortable. My parents are still going strong in there 34' MH. It is hard to find them home so we have to camp together. Oh what a sacrafice. We have to enjoy this while we can we are living in relatively very good times arguably to the best ever. How long can it last. No one has ever been able to do what we do now. Just Look at what we have are we spoiled or what? Not that we and those before us haven't earned it lol. Any ways if you ever get depressed about the daily pressures or get mad about that leaky sink in the Bighorn just think about it and smile.

Greg

DennisZ

One of the nicest places we stayed on the Olmpic Peninsula was just outside of Port Angeles, WA. It was Salt Creek County Park. It is first come basis, but on a weekend in the middle of July we were able to get 3 spots on a weekend all next to eachother. The views are great, as you look across the Straight of San Juan and look across to Canada. Every spot has a grat view, as each row is terraced above the next. The cost was $22 a night for out of towners, and includes water and electric. A really grat place to stay.

Dennis