First time fifth wheel owner...don't have one yet

cajmath

Hi my name is Jan, My husband (Scott) and I are considering a 2009 Big Horn 3600RL.
We have a F 350 dually diesel 6.0.
1. Will we be able to pull this size camper and
2. What kind/size hitch do we need

rustyshakelford

1) yes
2) I'd recommend a 16k or greater. We have the b&w with companion and love it but I've never heard anything bad about the curt q5 I think it is

Brett

jpdoggett

Welcome to the world of Fifth Wheels, I pull a 2011 Landmark Augusta with a 2005 Ford F350 dually with the 6.0 diesel with no problems. I pulled a Newmar 34ft American star before and this new one is not much heavyer than the old one. As far as a hitch thier are a lot of them out there if I was going to get a new hitch it would be the B&W companion it is the one with the ball in the bed that turns over and the hitch set into it and locks into place. Hope this helped

TXBobcat

Fulltime
1) yes
2) I'd recommend a 16k or greater. We have the b&w with companion and love it but I've never heard anything bad about the curt q5. Brett

I agree with Rusty. I have a B&W with the Companion 5th wheel. This is their Web site. This will give you a Gooseneck hitch (30,000#) and a 5th Wheel (Companion 18,000#). When you remove the Companion 5th wheel you have a clear pickup bed. I have not had any problem hitching and unhitching while others have.

FWIW
BC

cajmath

Thanks guys. We are still looking for the right fifth wheel for us. The Big Horn ended up being one of those too good to be true deals....it was a 2009 never titled 3600RL...guy told us it had repairable 1-3 thousand dollar in damage and was asking about 19,000.00....Then he told us it came with a rebuilt title. So, we are still looking.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rebuilt title??..You mean a salvage title?? Run as far as you can from that. A salvage title means the coach has no value. The only value would be for parting out the coach. Will be hard to title without proper paper work. Trust me..this guy is not telling you all that happened. 1-3K dollar damage will not TOTAL a 40K coach. The only way it would have a salvage title is if an insurance company totaled it .

cajmath

Don't worry as soon as he told me that we ran. LOL Not sure what we will end up with, but can't wait to get back to camping. Have not been since we had our pull behind when the kids were smaller.

We just purchased a 2011 HD F350 Diesel, quad-cab with short box with the intention of getting a Big Horn 3670RL. We had been looking a other 5th wheelers, but once I came upon the Big Horn, I was sold on the quality workmanship, the engineering, and floorplan that fit what I was looking for. We will be purchasing this within the next year, have to wait for my wife to retire as we plan on using this RV as our second home away from Wisconsin's long winters. I'm happy to see this forum and we will monitor it often. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

jimtoo

Hi exotic-woodman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owens Forum and the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you need help, or have questions, we are here for you, just ask.

Jim M

chubob

We just purchased a 2011 HD F350 Diesel, quad-cab with short box with the intention of getting a Big Horn 3670RL. We had been looking a other 5th wheelers, but once I came upon the Big Horn, I was sold on the quality workmanship, the engineering, and floorplan that fit what I was looking for. We will be purchasing this within the next year, have to wait for my wife to retire as we plan on using this RV as our second home away from Wisconsin's long winters. I'm happy to see this forum and we will monitor it often. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 2010 Big Horn 3670RL and we love it but there are a few things i have had to fix that you might look at. The sink in the kitchen has dropped 1/4" and there is no way to tighten from the bottom. The shower stall leaked and had to rechaulk. The water heater has a plastic backflow and stopped up. Had to pull it out to chase the threads.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We have a 3670RL (2011) and a 2010 Ford SD F450 with a 25 ton Husky hitch. Love the RV style/floorplan. We had some big problems (broken weld on frame plus the damage done to the rig because of the broken weld!) and quite a few little things (mostly cosmetic) but all were taken care of under warranty. Thankfully we didn't wait to take the rig out and use it, if we had then the problems may not have been caught during the warranty period. We were disappointed with the amount of time it took to fix all the problems; the dealer had the rig for a total of about 5 months in the first year. We requested (from Heartland) to increase our first year warranty period due to the lengthy period of time used to fix the major damage but were turned down. Since all work was completed we haven't had too many problems...mostly normal wear-n-tear stuff.

ncc1701e

Hi my name is Jan, My husband (Scott) and I are considering a 2009 Big Horn 3600RL.
We have a F 350 dually diesel 6.0.
1. Will we be able to pull this size camper and
2. What kind/size hitch do we need

Welcome to the Heartland family. As to will the F350 pull the camper, I think the best advice is always do your homework. I'm attaching a simple spreadsheet. Plug the numbers for your trailer and truck in to the worksheet and see what it gives you for an estimate at the bottom. There are other tools out in cyber world that will do the same thing and all are still estimates to help someone make a decision. Good luck and happy camping. Oh yeah, noticed you are from TN, cool please consider join the other KY/TN members at one of our rallies.

Attachments

• Trailer Weight Calc.xls
    54 KB · Views: 26
Is your F350 a Super Duty? Makes a Difference in Capacitys and options. However it should tow it fine. I have a 3610 and an F250 Superduty 4x4 with offroad pkg and 10000lb GVW pkg. I added Air Lift Springs to level it up and soften the ride, this leveled the truck and trailer and it handles like a dream. The 6.7 Desiel has plenty of power and the off road pkg gives it extra down hill braking above what the desiel already has. The Stability control on the Ford trucks is amazing! I was towing in 25-30 mph crosswinds yesterday and never moved the wheel. Hitching up and setting up a Fifth wheel is so much easier than a towable or a motor home (I've had both) I would never go back. No wonder so many are on the road. Enjoy your travels!